2 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

I thought that there was a chance that he'd be the replacement for Stevie Clarke. 

Obviously still much respected at Killie nonetheless. What's the assessment from Livi fans? 

Difficult to say how he'd stand on his own, he's obv a brilliant fit as Hoppy's replacement, Kenny Miller wasn't, and we'd have struggled if he had stayed longer last season. Our backroom staff and particularly David Martindale, are a huge part of how successful we've been these last 3 seasons, but as I said, Holt is the perfect fit to keep that going, so long may he remain at Livi.

*edit to add, he certainly has the measure of Lennon and Celtic, that's 3 games undefeated against them, and has registered our first ever win against Celtic too, so for that alone he is a fecking hero at Livi. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

18 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

No disagreement from me on any of that. 

The victory over Celtic was a bingo win and he's bought himself a lot by doing it. Staying the Prem looks very likely to me. 

How about top six?

We just missed out of the top 6 last season, think it went down to the last game against Celtic, but was an away defeat to St Mirren a few games earlier that really killed us getting there, a late breakaway goal. We had a poor run of results after the winter break though, so there is room for improvement this season that could get us there this time. Don't think we'll be far away tbh. Hearts and Hibs can't be this bad all season either though, at some point they will surely climb up to challenge for a top 6 spot.  

32 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

No disagreement from me on any of that. 

The victory over Celtic was a bingo win and he's bought himself a lot by doing it. Staying the Prem looks very likely to me. 

How about top six?

He's pretty safe, loveable guy and he's solid as a manager with Martindale. We'll just float about the middle of the bottom 6 and be safe. I'd take that every season tbf. Safety is prime for us

6 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

We'll do it. After a horrendous start this manager has us sorted out. We just need a Trezeguet or Del Peiro then we'll be fine. 

I'd settle for a Mulumbu thanks...... 

Observations of a neutral at the match:

Livi the better team for 1st half hour. Killie score a nice goal, ball falls kindly to Dicker and he finishes well. His and Killie's confidence rise and it's pretty much all Killie from then on with Dicker and Power dominating the midfield and Burke - my MotM - an excellent, cerebral outlet. Brophy is a diver. Killie fans protesting at the lad Miller keeping possession at 2-0 up (rather than attempting a speculative run or cross) showed how little fans know about managing a game.

One of my highlights of yesterday was a moment where Dicker, Power and El Makrini were all involved in winning a tight ball back, each sticking the boot in until we came away with it. I thought it beautifully summed up why we are getting results

Edited by deadasdillinger

23 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

One of my highlights of yesterday was a moment where Dicker, Power and El Makrini were all involved in winning a tight ball back, each sticking the boot in until we came away with it. I thought it beautifully summed up why we are getting results

I really enjoyed that as well, those players are relentless in their pursuit of the ball, El Makrini has become as essential part of our midfield along with Power and Dicker, Dicker was amazing yesterday that turn in the second half when he sent two players the wrong way was lovely.

Anybody hear anything about El Makrini's injury?

47 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Isn’t definitely agree with that! My mate who’s goes to the games says Holt is there with his Dad every time Livi aren’t playing. Has he ever taken points off Killie whilst Livi manager?

Why wouldn't he go ? It's common knowledge he's a Killie fan and lives just along from the Stadium.

As for your thought train, that's old firm levels of paranoia.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Isn’t definitely agree with that! My mate who’s goes to the games says Holt is there with his Dad every time Livi aren’t playing. Has he ever taken points off Killie whilst Livi manager?

Prob still lives there, his son goes to a school in Kilmarnock.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Yes, we beat Kilmarnock last season.

Also drew with them, honours even last season with a win, draw and defeat. Basically Killie win their home games and we win or draw our home games against one another. We dropped more points to St Mirren than Killie last season. Has Holt a St Mirren connection.:unsure2::lol:

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Reflecting on this one, I’m still bitterly disappointed to have lost as I feel we could’ve got something out of it but it goes to show, as expected, how solid Killie are.

Findlay was really impressive at the back and Dicker is a classy and calm presence in the middle. Has there been any interest in Findlay over the summer? Brophy is certainly a worker and I suppose the issue is maybe the lack of support that comes with being set up so well defensively. For us I think Lawless had a great first half and started the move when Crawford should really have scored but hit the defender (Findlay?) when the keeper was rooted. We conceded soon after and it’s that clinical edge that separates a high top 6 team in a tight game; I feel neither ‘keeper was worked that much. Second half was a much edgier affair. I feel a bit sorry for Sarkic as that’s twice in as many weeks that he’s been diving one way and a defender has deflected it passed him - guy can’t catch a break! 😂 It might’ve been going on target anyway but the fact MacKenzie didn’t really celebrate makes me think not. We huffed and puffed after with some snap shots but I didn’t really believe we were going to pull it back to 2-2 with such little time left.

Ah well, really tastey 2 games coming up against the Edinburgers, to close out the first quarter. 

Edited by crispy

7 minutes ago, crispy said:

Reflecting on this one, I’m still bitterly disappointed to have lost as I feel we could’ve got something out of it but it goes to show, as expected, how solid Killie are.

Findlay was really impressive at the back and Dicker is a classy and calm presence in the middle. Has there been any interest in Findlay over the summer? Brophy is certainly a worker and I suppose the issue is maybe the lack of support that comes with being set up so well defensively. For us I think Lawless had a great first half and started the move when Crawford should really have scored but hit the defender (Findlay?) when the keeper was rooted. We conceded soon after and it’s that clinical edge that separates a high top 6 team in a tight game; I feel neither ‘keeper was worked that much. Second half was a much edgier affair. I feel a bit sorry for Sarkic as that’s twice in as many weeks that he’s been diving one way and a defender has deflected it passed him - guy can’t catch a break! 😂 It might’ve been going on target anyway but the fact MacKenzie didn’t really celebrate makes me think not. We huffed and puffed after with some snap shots but I didn’t really believe we were going to pull it back to 2-2 with such little time left.

Ah well, really tastey 2 games coming up against the Edinburgers, to close out the first quarter. 

Could be doing with Pittman back for those two games, prob our best finisher, and def our best attacking midfielder.