Stuart Campbell/Wings Over Scotland

Flybhoy

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Lol he's off on a plane with all of the da's money

Stunning bit of honesty from his blog.

It’d be considerably easier to just sit here churning out reheated platitudes year after year and enjoying a modest but quite comfortable lifestyle off the back of the annual fundraiser,

12 hours ago, fatshaft said:

Aye it would, instead he'll launch a list party for the 2021 elections. The boy is nothing if not dedicated. 

He won't, I don't think. Seems to me he's been angling for an exit for a while. His growing obsession with fighting trans rights was a sign of both spoiling for a fight and losing interest in the independence cause, and his grandiose plans for a political party smelled of megalomania. He was starting to be laughed at. He must have known it was downhill  from there:  he'd never raise the same amount in a fundraiser this year, and yesterday was a decent opportunity to exit, blaming others. I think he's history.

Pity in a way: he was incisive and smarter than politicians. Just a shame his personality – and his ego – got the better of him.

4 hours ago, sparky88 said:

'Jam tomorrow' so his readers cough up money for the fundraiser.

It is to my shame that I'm an SNP member, but have never contributed to Wings. Seems I had it wrong way around. That'll be changing. 

22 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

Which she didn't, so you'd be right

If you sued someone for damage to your reputation, were awarded zilch and ordered to pay both your and your opponent's costs, would you not see it as a loss?

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, fatshaft said:

It is to my shame that I'm an SNP member, but have never contributed to Wings. Seems I had it wrong way around. That'll be changing. 

You'll still vote SNP though. They'll still get elected. And still prevaricate on independence. 

16 hours ago, sparky88 said:

You'll still vote SNP though. They'll still get elected. And still prevaricate on independence. 

I will because there's no alternative, but I won't be contributing to party prevaricators 

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you sued someone for damage to your reputation, were awarded zilch and ordered to pay both your and your opponent's costs, would you not see it as a loss?

You're not aware what the judge said in summation?

Just now, fatshaft said:

You're not aware what the judge said in summation?

Yes. Though there was no evidence to show that Campbell was homophobic, it was reasonable for Dugdale to infer in good faith from his tweet that he was. Even if he had found her to have deliberately defamed him, the damage to his reputation, given his constant abuse of others on twitter, would have been valued at no more than £100, a tiny fraction of his legal bills stumped up for by his loyal fans.  

Whether Campbell is the man to do it or not, theres a massive gap in the market for  a right wing, small c conservative pro independence party. It might end up like UKIP with the Tories and have its policies adopted by the SNP.

Edited by sparky88

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yes. Though there was no evidence to show that Campbell was homophobic, it was reasonable for Dugdale to infer in good faith from his tweet that he was. Even if he had found her to have deliberately defamed him, the damage to his reputation, given his constant abuse of others on twitter, would have been valued at no more than £100, a tiny fraction of his legal bills stumped up for by his loyal fans.  

Aye, she was too stoopid to grasp context basically. 

9 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Plenty of small c conservatives in the SNP but they're going nowhere till independence.

I dont believe independence can be won by solely appealing to left wing, soft/ex Labour voters. They tried it once and came quite a bit short. SNP stance on Brexit has alienated these voters even more.

On 02/02/2020 at 12:16, sparky88 said:

Whether Campbell is the man to do it or not, theres a massive gap in the market for  a right wing, small c conservative pro independence party. It might end up like UKIP with the Tories and have its policies adopted by the SNP.

This was tried a while ago with the Scottish Libertarian Party but they didn't get anywhere, though I know they were more of a pro-independence/pro-Brexit party.  The Libertarians (or another conservative pro-independence party) wouldn't be to my taste but I wondered if the cause for Scottish independence is hindered by having one massive party as it's vehicle - aside from the Greens, there's no alternative independence visions and for people who aren't centre-left/left, there's no-one speaking their language pushing this issue.

• 3 weeks later...