Stuart Campbell/Wings Over Scotland

Flybhoy

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Baathists are none too sympathetic unsurprisingly.

She doesn't actually mention Wings by name (and it might not have even been him), yet "Friends of Wings" goes and drops him in it.  What a weird cult.

Edited by Highland Capital

54 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Can't help but feel that it's interesting why this is a big issue in the SNP but not so much in the labour party, given how similar they are in many other ways. 

My pet theory - given this is effectively a largely social media based controversy, that makes the SNP more susceptible to it as our membership is 1) extremely online and 2) less likely to have came to politics via e.g the unions, where you're likely to get educated about this type of thing. 

Another theory could be the one which I can't remember if I first read on here or not, which posits that both #FBPE and anti trans feminist types are basically both hysterical overreactions of the British liberal middle class to the fact that for the first time in their lives they are not the key political demographic to be wooed. Most of those people left labour in the Corbyn years but there are plenty of them in the SNP - an occupational hazard of the party not having coherent class politics. 

Your other theory sounds more convincing to me, J. G. Ballard could have used it in a plot line. So desperate for relevancy they latch onto an issue that affects  nobody apart from a tiny community who were getting on fine and barely noticed until they got surrounded by screaming Helen Lovejoys on one side and goading trolls on the other.

Edited by welshbairn

Maybe it's just me but there is a ridiculous amount of air being expended on this. People are what they are, identify as they see fit and hold faith views which are acceptable and allowable in a democratic society.  It would be helpful to have a bit more live and let live and a bit less trying to force those who need to manage political parties to take a fixed position on absolutely everything. If you self identify in a specific way - fine. If you have a religious faith - fine. Some of the language being used here is really unhelpful. 

6 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Can't help but feel that it's interesting why this is a big issue in the SNP but not so much in the labour party, given how similar they are in many other ways. 

My pet theory - given this is effectively a largely social media based controversy, that makes the SNP more susceptible to it as our membership is 1) extremely online and 2) less likely to have came to politics via e.g the unions, where you're likely to get educated about this type of thing. 

Another theory could be the one which I can't remember if I first read on here or not, which posits that both #FBPE and anti trans feminist types are basically both hysterical overreactions of the British liberal middle class to the fact that for the first time in their lives they are not the key political demographic to be wooed. Most of those people left labour in the Corbyn years but there are plenty of them in the SNP - an occupational hazard of the party not having coherent class politics. 

This is playing out in the Labour Party under the guise of anti-Semitism.  Edit: without the MI5 nonsense, I might add. 

Edited by Savage Henry

I see JK Rowling wrote a big long tweet praising Stephen King recently.  The other day Stephen King tweeted to someone else entirely "trans women are women".

JK Rowling deleted her tweet and unfollowed Stephen King.  What a strange lady.

Edited by Highland Capital

2 hours ago, HTG said:

Maybe it's just me but there is a ridiculous amount of air being expended on this. People are what they are, identify as they see fit and hold faith views which are acceptable and allowable in a democratic society.  It would be helpful to have a bit more live and let live and a bit less trying to force those who need to manage political parties to take a fixed position on absolutely everything. If you self identify in a specific way - fine. If you have a religious faith - fine. Some of the language being used here is really unhelpful. 

It's in the interests of the "Gender Critical" lot to cause as much of a stink as possible so something which ultimately effects a minute proportion of the population dominates the headlines and becomes too much of a hassle to push through. 

8 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I see JK Rowling wrote a big long tweet praising Stephen King recently.  The other day Stephen King tweeted to someone else entirely "trans women are women".

Which sort of flies in the face of her whole “I love trans people, I just have legitimate concerns about (cis) women’s rights” shtick.

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

JK Rowling deleted her tweet and unfollowed Stephen King.  What a strange lady vile, bigoted c**t.

Fixed your wee spelling error.

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It started off with Stephen King RTing a tweet of hers quoting Andrea Dworkin, and she went all gushing in thanks.

Andrea Dworkin also wrote this.

EboOuIkUwAApm_q?format=jpg

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/MediaReleases/Public information and warning about sexual offender released?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Anyone opposed to this known and prolific sexual offender who likes to conduct offences in female toilets and changing rooms being allowed access to these changing rooms for this reason is of course a bigot and a transphobe.

11 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

https://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/MediaReleases/Public information and warning about sexual offender released?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Anyone opposed to this known and prolific sexual offender who likes to conduct offences in female toilets and changing rooms being allowed access to these changing rooms for this reason is of course a bigot and a transphobe.

Except they don't have self id in Alberta, so what's your point caller?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Except they don't have self id in Alberta, so what's your point caller?

We don't live in Alberta. We have people just like that here, and people like you not only want to grant them free access to all women's safe spaces, but label people who voice concerns about that as bigots and support them losing their jobs for doing so.  Women and girls will be killed because of your warped views.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

We don't live in Alberta. We have people just like that here, and people like you not only want to grant them free access to all women's safe spaces, but label people who voice concerns about that as bigots and support them losing their jobs for doing so.  Women and girls will be killed because of your warped views.

My point is that you managed to track down a dangerous pervert in Alberta, a place that has pretty much the same laws as the ones you want to keep here. What you need for your argument is to show a big rise in perverts invading Ladies toilets in a place like Ireland since they enabled self id. It's not news that there are evil perverts about, changing the law to allow self id  won't change that.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

My point is that you managed to track down a dangerous pervert in Alberta, a place that has pretty much the same laws as the ones you want to keep here. What you need for your argument is to show a big rise in perverts invading Ladies toilets in a place like Ireland since they enabled self id. It's not news that there are evil perverts about, changing the law to allow self id  won't change that.

Its a group that is less than 1% of the population. Its a pathetic argument to ask for statistical analysis after a few years. Its a simple fact its guaranteed to happen. We have laws in place to make things like this never happen if possible, and this law is guaranteed to enable it to happen more.

Anybody arguing any different is simply dishonest. If you're okay with women and girls being sexually assaulted and murdered cause its only going to be a few of them you need to take a damn good look at yourself.