Stuart Campbell/Wings Over Scotland

Flybhoy

15 minutes ago, Kuro said:

How did Hillsborough happen?  What was the cause of it?  Too many people in a small area.  Why were there too many people in that area?  Did they sell too many tickets?  

The police opened an exit gate to alleviate a crush outside, many fans were delayed due to a combination of roadworks, cancelled trains and a lack of filtering/ticket cordons on the approaches to the stadium which had been in place the previous year in the exact same fixture at the same ground, yes, a few may have turned up late as they were in the pub and a few didn't have tickets*, and some may have had a few too many but, as alluded to earlier these scenarios were common place in big matches in that era and this was the only one with fatalities, because....

.....pens 3 and 4, the central pens at Hillsborough, directly behind the goal were already rammed full, over capacity, the sliding door at the entry point to those pens was not closed off when they were full, something which normally happened under the jurisdiction of Chief Inspector Brian Mole, who normally policed Hillsborough but was not ordered by David Duckenfield who was, inexplicably policing his first ever football match that day. You then had approximately 2000 fans entering the concourse and heading down the tunnel straight in front of them, the most obvious entry point to the terrace  oblivious to the fact is was already overcrowded and there entry points at either end to less populated areas of that terrace. 

There was plenty space on pens 1,2 and 5 for the incoming supporters to funnel into had the entry point to the already full pens 3 and 4 been sealed off, the fans going down that tunnel had no idea they were entering and adding to an already dangerous and fatal crush, that is essentially Hillsborough in a nutshell as told by survivors, witnesses and an inquiry, but obviously you and that fuckwit Campbell know better. 

*Detailed CCTV analysis counted that the amount of people on the Leppings Lane Terrace was more or less its designated capacity, just that the vast majority were in the fatally overcrowded central two pens, with acres of space on the adjacent ones, rubbishing the 'thousands of ticketless fans' theory. 

One final point, you're a fucking weapon. 

Edited by Flybhoy

11 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

3. As someone of similar age who attended games in death trap stadiums in that era I'm sure you will concur... how many times were there big matches where people 

A. Tried to chance there arm and get in with no ticket 

B. Arrived late, possibly and, usually through no fault of their own

C. Had a few drinks before the game and occasionally a few too many 

I did and have done all three in the past and relatively recently and never been in a fatal or potentially fatal situation, the fact that people can't grasp it was a combination of woeful policing and a slum/death trap stadium, that end being particularly bad with several near misses before is, staggeringly ignorant, even after the inquiry cleared the fans and uncovered the smears.

The most damnable thing about this thread is that we're in danger of becoming new best friends.  Can we knock that on the head and get back to calling each other c***s?

You are, of course, right.  I have mentioned before on a few threads that I have been swept off my feet/taken along by the crowd at, variously, Murrayfield, Ibrox and Hampden due to a combination of terrible stadium design and shite policing and stewarding.  I am not being sensational in stating that that the Ibrox disaster is only unusual in it being a one-off.

Still, if the wee fanny wants to blame Hillsborough on the fans then we can't account for ignorance.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Nobody could have seen this coming. He's such a well-loved figure in the video game industry.

:lol:

Not a gamer myself so, going by your subliminal sarcasm there I'm assuming he is equally reviled and mocked in that circle as well?

23 minutes ago, Kuro said:

How did Hillsborough happen?  What was the cause of it?  Too many people in a small area.  Why were there too many people in that area?  Did they sell too many tickets?  

Why don't you ask thon boy Lord Justice Taylor? I assume you've caddied for him at some point. 

Just now, Flybhoy said:

:lol:

Not a gamer myself so, going by your subliminal sarcasm there I'm assuming he is equally reviled and mocked in that circle as well?

I think most folk have forgotten about him at this point. Before he managed to regain some kind of relevance on Twitter, he spent his wilderness years screaming abuse at random folk on games forums and harassing amateur game programmers for any similarity their game might have to those made by his friends.

Not his games, you understand. Games made by people he used to work for.

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I think most folk have forgotten about him at this point. Before he managed to regain some kind of relevance on Twitter, he spent his wilderness years screaming abuse at random folk on games forums and harassing amateur game programmers for any similarity their game might have to those made by his friends.

Not his games, you understand. Games made by people he used to work for.

I vaguely remembered him from one of the old magazines (Amiga Format or Amiga Power I think) and gave his Twitter page a shufty based on that and then noped the f**k out of it very sharpish. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

I vaguely remembered him from one of the old magazines (Amiga Format or Amiga Power I think) and gave his Twitter page a shufty based on that and then noped the f**k out of it very sharpish. 

Aye, he started out as a reviewer with Amiga Power, which he used to lobby for work at Sensible Software for a while. He was a delight in those days too, by all accounts.

If Campbell had stuck to dissecting the MSM, instead of turning into a frothing embarrassing mess over trans-rights, women in general and loads of other ridiculous hills to die on, he'd be fine and possibly still reasonably respected in political/journalism circles. 
However he didn't and he isn't.
The boy's a fucking liability and a cretin of the highest order.

You contradict yourself there.

His views aren’t transphobic. He may have views against Self ID and GRA which need debated. The fact that he does question this means he is sticking up for women’s rights. So I don’t get that particular point you were making.

Do some research into Rhiannon.

Where he no doubt let’s himself down and I question why he does it, is the language used to make his points at times.

Cages.....treating fans like animals. Remember that in the 80's, when going to the football was still a working class thing. It was deemed acceptable to treat fans that way. Don't get me wrong some did behave like animals....but it was the cages.

No cages.....no Hillsborough.

Who thought up and implemented the cage idea.

The Football league, FA and govt took the easy way out blaming the police imho.

11 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Cages.....treating fans like animals. Remember that in the 80's, when going to the football was still a working class thing. It was deemed acceptable to treat fans that way. Don't get me wrong some did behave like animals....but it was the cages.

No cages.....no Hillsborough.

Who thought up and implemented the cage idea.

The Football league, FA and govt took the easy way out blaming the police imho.

One moot point and veering slightly off topic, for all the police, correctly although very belatedly got absolutely slaughtered for their part in the Hillsborough disaster, I do think that Sheffield Wednesday FC and, to a lesser extent the FA got off rather lightly in hindsight, that stadium was a death trap and had several near misses specifically at that area of the stadium. 

If Campbell had stuck to dissecting the MSM, instead of turning into a frothing embarrassing mess over trans-rights, women in general and loads of other ridiculous hills to die on, he'd be fine and possibly still reasonably respected in political/journalism circles. 
However he didn't and he isn't.
The boy's a fucking liability and a cretin of the highest order.
This.

Played a useful role at one point but is now a complete liability.

Pretty much as said on here, stick to ripping apart the yoon media lies. Too much personal opinions expressed from him on his website now. I'd also wait to see who would be on their list before throwing them a 2nd vote, I understand the logic of the splitting the indy vote to garner more seats but would worry they could go rogue. The whole self ID thing is a serious issue that needs discussed at the top level of government it seems a major concern to many woman I have spoke to at the rallies but Wings rhetoric on the site over this does the debate a disservice. Rhiannon Spear also comes across as a sanctimonious clown on twitter and also not very positive to the indy cause. Him and the guy from Bella have been at each others throats for ages so I doubt the tweet about him holds any water.