Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

To avoid the perpetual bickering between stupid boastful bigoted weegies and arsey chip-on-their-shoulder Edinburgers, following Scottish independence a new capital city should be built, a Brasilia of Northern Europe.  

Can we call it Gledinburgh?

Regale us with your thoughts on where Glasgow City Centre starts and ends again, m9.

I’m happy for you go fishing with saying Glasgow is largest and greatest (greatest is subjective and dependent on personal experience so seeing folk get wound up is funny) but f**k OFF with getting throbber to try and claim everything from Edinburgh to Troon is Glasgow city centre again.

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I’m happy for you go fishing with saying Glasgow is largest and greatest (greatest is subjective and dependent on personal experience so seeing folk get wound up is funny) but f**k OFF with getting throbber to try and claim everything from Edinburgh to Troon is Glasgow city centre again.

Everything west of Falkirk is Glasgow until you hit the Irish Sea. 

The above is pretty much on par with the blinkered Sevco and Celtic fans claiming superiority by boasting that their club is bigger with the "best supporters in the world", usually followed by a claim that everybody is jealous of them when outsiders inevitably call shenanigans.

So obvious to everybody that hasn't put the defensive blinkers yet incomprehensible to anybody that has.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Doctor said:
13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
Everything west of Falkirk is Glasgow until you hit the Irish Sea. 

You joke but ive seen plenty of companies try and apply a highland tax for delivering anything north of Perth.

Make it a Teuchter Tax and tax everyone outside the Central Belt and we'd be the richest wee country in the world.

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

To avoid the perpetual bickering between stupid boastful bigoted weegies and arsey chip-on-their-shoulder Edinburgers, following Scottish independence a new capital city should be built, a Brasilia of Northern Europe.  

Considering that our track record of 'new towns' consists of the creation of East Kilbride, Irvine, Cumbernauld, Livingston and Glenrothes (in order to displace thousands of Weegies in search of a better life outside of Glasgow), I suggest that your proposal gets in the f***ing sea.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Considering that our track record of 'new towns' consists of the creation of East Kilbride, Irvine, Cumbernauld, Livingston and Glenrothes (in order to displace thousands of Weegies in search of a better life outside of Glasgow), I suggest that your proposal gets in the f***ing sea.

It was a double bluff. The removal of the people who live in those towns has made Glasgow infinitely better for those who got to stay.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

There are bits of Edinburgh that are every bit as bad as the shit bits of Glasgow, so that’s a strange point to make.

A very small proportion of Edinburgh compared to swathes of Glasgow, as very clearly illustrated a few posts back.

This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

A very small proportion of Edinburgh compared to swathes of Glasgow, as very clearly illustrated a few posts back.

This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

As I say, I’ve lived in both, and am utterly amazed that anyone can think they’re drastically different in terms of being “good” or “bad” cities. Both got nice areas, both got shite areas. Both great places. 

The inferiority complex on Edinburgh folks is quite something though.

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As I say, I’ve lived in both, and am utterly amazed that anyone can think they’re drastically different in terms of being “good” or “bad” cities. Both got nice areas, both got shite areas. Both great places. 

You do realise we aren't from Edinburgh so have a neutral viewpoint?

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

I'm still trying to work out whether Glaswegians are on the wind up or whether they genuinely believe this.  Tragically, it's probably the latter.

Illusory Truth Effect

(also known as the validity effect, truth effect, or the reiteration effect)

Definition:  The tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeated exposure.

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

I'm still trying to work out whether Glaswegians are on the wind up or whether they genuinely believe this.  Tragically, it's probably the latter.

Illusory Truth Effect

(also known as the validity effect, truth effect, or the reiteration effect)

Definition:  The tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeated exposure.

I’m not from Glasgow. Just going by my decent experience of both cities. You almost never hear people from Glasgow mention Edinburgh unless someone from Edinburgh brings it up. Not true of many people from Edinburgh I find. They seem desperate to tell everyone why it’s better. Reeks of little brother, wee man syndrome.