Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

As Knightswood Bear rightly stated, welcome to Scotland’s best city.

If you’re looking for somewhere that isn’t going to break the bank, I would recommend Dennistoun. You’ll get much more for your money in comparison to the west end, and ample parking, depending on which street you are looking at. Good transport links from Alexandra Parade/Duke St, both buses and trains, which would allow you easy access to the subway at Buchanan St/St Enoch.

The commute would be murder, and mental expensive. My girlfriend works in Edinburgh three days a week, leaving the house at 7am and rarely back before 7pm. No life if you’ve got to do that five days a week.

Once again, well done on making the right choice.

Telling someone they have made the correct decision by moving from Edinburgh to Glasgow and then recommending they move to Dennistoun is one of the most absurd things I have ever read.

Guest Moomintroll
Heard that Craiglang is quite nice. Friendly locals, welcoming boozer, well stocked corner shop (no Midouri though). Have been told that the local bookie is a bit shady though.
It does have Midori, it's a bit stoorie though.

Heard that Craiglang is quite nice. Friendly locals, welcoming boozer, well stocked corner shop (no Midouri though). Have been told that the local bookie is a bit shady though.

He’s the fucking devil, that bookie.

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Got a new job in Glasgow and thought at first i'd just commute from Edinburgh but am now considering moving there.

I just wanted to get the collective of P&B's advice :), what's it like to live there? Which areas should I be looking at in terms of living there for a reasonable rent? Will I be murdered? 

Cheers all.

Move to Falkirk.

Best of both worlds.

20 mins on the train to both

1 hour ago, Slenderman said:

Prefer commuting. Rather have a nice house in Gourock than a wee shitey overpriced flat in Glasgow. Surrounded by OF fans (probably).

Edinburgh to Glasgow would be a bit too far though. 1hr is enough for me.

Living in Gourock you’ll be surrounded by OF fans(probably)..

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding commutes, my eyes were opened by working in a team half of whom are in London.  Some people drive two hours in the morning and then again at night to get home, and that can be extended with bad weather or roadworks.  I've got colleagues who get up at 4am to come into the office.  Madness.

London is wild for that. The choice is basically pay a small fortune to live an hour from the office, or a large fortune to live half an hour away. I spend an hour each way on the train here but I can at least console myself with the fact that I pay around 50% of the rent I would pay if I lived in the city I work in.

13 minutes ago, Ross. said:

London is wild for that. The choice is basically pay a small fortune to live an hour from the office, or a large fortune to live half an hour away. I spend an hour each way on the train here but I can at least console myself with the fact that I pay around 50% of the rent I would pay if I lived in the city I work in.

Apparently Dublin is really bad for it as well.

41 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Living in Gourock you’ll be surrounded by OF fans(probably)..

My neighbours are so old I'm positive they drunk the wrong Holy Grail.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding commutes, my eyes were opened by working in a team half of whom are in London.  Some people drive two hours in the morning and then again at night to get home, and that can be extended with bad weather or roadworks.  I've got colleagues who get up at 4am to come into the office.  Madness.

It's, for many, a lifestyle choice.  £1M will get you a small 3 bed flat in Islington with shite state schools.  Where I live £1M will get you a reasonable 4 bed house, some of the best grammar schools in the country and an hour's commute of central London.  Oh and at least 3 vegan cafes within walking distance.  Stretch it by an hour and you can have, for £1M, your own paddock and barn.