Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m not from Glasgow

Everybody knows that folk from Ayrshire are Weegies in denial. 

Thanks for confirming this further.  ;)

You almost never hear people from Glasgow mention Edinburgh unless someone from Edinburgh brings it up.

Lies, although it's usually by the type that lets you know they're a "Celtic/Rangers Man" within a minute of meeting them tbf.

Edited by Hedgecutter
That annoying quotation bug is still there

Guest Moomintroll
There are some nice bits of Scotstoun.  It's not all hovels like Earl St.
Here, I lived in Earl St for a while its...Nah it made Kilwinning look like Milngavie.

The bitterness is unreal, and there’s no need for it. Edinburgh is great in its own right so the people need to stop trying to compare it to Glasgow.

I have lived in Edinburgh since 2013 and have never once met anyone who is even remotely envious of anything about the idea of living in Glasgow.

Yass, you're never more than 3 feet away from an Edinburgh vs. Glasgow discussion.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m not from Glasgow. Just going by my decent experience of both cities. You almost never hear people from Glasgow mention Edinburgh unless someone from Edinburgh brings it up. Not true of many people from Edinburgh I find. They seem desperate to tell everyone why it’s better. Reeks of little brother, wee man syndrome.

^^In my experience people from either city don't bring it up that much; i don't think that many people really care. It's more often than not people who aren't from either city that ask me and, understandably, only after I've said I lived/worked/mated in both cities. I was chatting to a guy from Glasgow, at new year, and he said "no doubt, glaswegians are self-righteous" and another lad told me that he just thought people were more extrovert in the west so really it's f*cking swings and roundabouts depending on who you talk to. People see and hear what they want. 

Unsurprisingly, I'm from Livingston. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Livi is the Istanbul of the central belt. A cultural mixing pot where east meets west. Go to Edinburgh and people think you are a bit of a weegie. Is Airdire, Wishaw where Glasgow ends btw?

If i must touch on the original thread topic: I’ve spent a couple of years doing the GLA>EDI or edi>Gla commute and its f*cking pish; so pricey and the trains were unreliable. The 900 bus is great value but at peak hours it can get jammed up.

45 minutes ago, crispy said:

Unsurprisingly, I'm from Livingston. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Livi is the Istanbul of the central belt. A cultural mixing pot where east meets west. 

This made me guffaw.

2 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Do people from Cumbernauld get upset if you call them Glaswegian? 

Everybody knows that the Castlecary Arches are the de-facto gateway into to Weegieland.

They're SW of it, hence Weegie as charged.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Glaswegians get upset if you call people from Cumbernauld Glaswegian.

I feel they fail to grasp the concept that to the rest of us, 'Weegie' is an umbrella term for anybody who has any accent resembling that of Glasgow, as opposed to somebody who lives in the city of Glasgow per se.   This applies to Ayrshire (Girvan gets away with it), no matter how much they protest that their chirpy Weegie accent isn't a Weegie accent.

Weegieland.JPG.79c4498924d88c9becfd9165a5615c0c.JPG

17 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I feel they fail to grasp the concept that to the rest of us, 'Weegie' is an umbrella term for anybody who has any accent resembling that of Glasgow, as opposed to somebody who lives in the city of Glasgow per se.   This applies to Ayrshire (Girvan gets away with it), no matter how much they protest that their chirpy Weegie accent isn't a Weegie accent.

So Rothesay isn't weegie?

Ayrshire (and Lanarkshire) accents are 100 percent a thing and are also 100 times worse than the worst Glasgow accents. The Edinburgh v Glasgow debate will go on forever but we can all agree we’re all nowhere near as bad as folk from Ayrshire.