Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

11 hours ago, Ross. said:

What about those daft wee villages like Kilbirnie and Beith where the locals shout abuse at players wearing the numbers seeven and eleeven? They are but a short hop from the likes of Greenock and Paisley but the dialect is absolutely nothing like Weegie.

A lot in those places seem to be called Ken also.

After i'd graduated and was looking for jobs I was prepared to move anywhere vaguely Central belt-ish. I had a few interviews in Glasgow, Edinburgh and in generic Central belt towns so looked at flats in a variety of areas.

What struck me was that rent/house prices were mental in Edinburgh. I knew they'd be a bit more but deary me. What I was getting for a nice flat in Hyndland or even Partick etc would get some dingy bedsit in Gorgie. As a result, I opted for Glasgow.

23 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

After i'd graduated and was looking for jobs I was prepared to move anywhere vaguely Central belt-ish. I had a few interviews in Glasgow, Edinburgh and in generic Central belt towns so looked at flats in a variety of areas.

What struck me was that rent/house prices were mental in Edinburgh. I knew they'd be a bit more but deary me. What I was getting for a nice flat in Hyndland or even Partick etc would get some dingy bedsit in Gorgie. As a result, I opted for Glasgow.

I would have loved to have lived in Edinburgh but for the same reason you mention I've totally ruled it out, unless I win the lottery.

Aberdeen was pricey for renting but nothing compared to the prices I've seen in Edinburgh. Dundee is good for renting.

Strongly considering moving to Glasgow in 2020.

Edited by DA Baracus

15 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I blame JK Rowling and airbnb

Aye, the AirBnB situation in Edinburgh is an absolute shambles. Think it’s something like 10,000 properties now listed. I’m sure there is a study kicking about where they quantified the increase in prices attributable to AirBnB in New York. Probs the worst example: 

15758675-04FB-4881-82AB-663B6A9E2869.jpeg

Edited by crispy

I would have loved to have lived in Edinburgh but for the same reason you mention I've totally ruled it out, unless I win the lottery.
Aberdeen was pricey for renting but nothing compared to the prices I've seen in Edinburgh. Dundee is good for renting.
Strongly considering moving to Glasgow in 2020.

My job was going to pay pretty much the same wherever I went so rent/prices was a big issue.

I opted for the West End of Glasgow. I genuinely don't think there's a better place in Scotland for someone with no children to live.

26 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We moved to Edinburgh in 1999 on the day of the Man U/Bayern European cup final and stayed there for 4 years until we moved to Aberdeenshire for work reasons.

I absolutely loved Edinburgh and two of my kids were born there.  The problem with moving back is, as you pointed out, house prices.  £250,00 will get you a decent 3 bedroom place in Glasgow's south side but will only buy a garret in the New Town.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

We moved to Edinburgh in 1999 on the day of the Man U/Bayern European cup final and stayed there for 4 years until we moved to Aberdeenshire for work reasons.

I absolutely loved Edinburgh and two of my kids were born there.  The problem with moving back is, as you pointed out, house prices.  £250,00 will get you a decent 3 bedroom place in Glasgow's south side but will only buy a garret in the New Town.

That was an exciting finish.

4 hours ago, crispy said:

Aye, the AirBnB situation in Edinburgh is an absolute shambles. Think it’s something like 10,000 properties now listed. I’m sure there is a study kicking about where they quantified the increase in prices attributable to AirBnB in New York. Probs the worst example: 

15758675-04FB-4881-82AB-663B6A9E2869.jpeg

Partick Thistle thread for this pish

Im Edinburgh born and bred , and i lived in Partick for 4 years. I fucking loved every day , had a decent job lived in a nice flat and had a great social circle.

Never had any bother through there, some of closest pals are weedgies as is my wife.

If , allah forbid, i had to leave Vancouver for back home...id live in Glasgow for sure. 

Edinburgh is beautiful, Glasgow doesnt come close in that respect. My opinions, dont hate me.

Edited by VanCityHibee

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Armadale, Whitburn, Fauldhouse and Denny are East, Blackridge, Harthill, Shotts and Cumbernauld are west. That's enough to draw a border. As mentioned, castlecary arches is a good demarcation point.

I like Glasgow a lot fwiw but the hard-on that Glaswegians have for it is something else.

Ha, how come Harthill play in the east and Shotts play in the west? Answer me that.

Scientific proof...FACT!

3 hours ago, philpy said:

Some nice, ahem, open flats on Albert Road near Crosshill Station... IMG_20191019_152233.jpeg

As a student, in 1973, I shared a flat a few yards from Crosshill Station ( Queens Park Ave ).   Thought it was actually rather nice around there.

All the comments on this thread mentioning how friendly Glasgow folk can be reminds me of this one...

An Edinburgh couple had to move to Glasgow because of the husband's job and settled in on the top floor of a nice west-end tenement. The Edinburgh lady met and befriended a local gentleman and had taken to "entertaining" him on occasions. During one of these occasions the gentleman suffered a massive heart attack and died.

Distraught, the lady consulted her neighbour across the landing for advice. After a few minutes thought the woman neighbour said  :

"Nae bother, hen",  " Just pit a shammy in his haun' and drap him oot the windae"

On 15/10/2019 at 15:21, MONKMAN said:

Update.

In the past few hours I’ve contacted the estate agents to arrange a valuation on my house tomorrow, survey and home report next week so it’ll be on the market in the next week or so. Agent said having sold several in the street behind mine in the past 6 months, it should move pretty quick.

Looks like I’ve a busy few months ahead.

Last time I lived in Glasgow I stayed at Parade Park, in Dennsitoun. Very convenient place to live and I could smell the Wellpark Brewery on a warm summers day.

Another Update

Home report signed off and my house goes in the market tomorrow.  The other half viewed about 10 flats over Thursday, Friday and Saturday last week and we had an offer accepted yesterday with a provisional moving date of 25th of November.  As I went away back to work Thursday afternoon, I've not actually seen any of them in person but I'm sure it'll be fine...

Spur of the moment decision last Tuesday to move, It's certainly been one of the most random weeks I can think of.