Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

9 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I always thought Falkirk was West and Linlithgow was East. The border sits somewhere in Polmont.

There's a few lines of borders. The Ken fault line between Lanarkshire weegiedom and West Lothian tcheucterism is somewhere between Caldercruix and Blackridge.

it also lies between other almost identical villages, often yards apart that only @Hedgecutter would go to.

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I feel they fail to grasp the concept that to the rest of us, 'Weegie' is an umbrella term for anybody who has any accent resembling that of Glasgow, as opposed to somebody who lives in the city of Glasgow per se.   This applies to Ayrshire (Girvan gets away with it), no matter how much they protest that their chirpy Weegie accent isn't a Weegie accent.

Weegieland.JPG.79c4498924d88c9becfd9165a5615c0c.JPG

Accents?  

tenor (5).gif

13 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I feel they fail to grasp the concept that to the rest of us, 'Weegie' is an umbrella term for anybody who has any accent resembling that of Glasgow, as opposed to somebody who lives in the city of Glasgow per se.   This applies to Ayrshire (Girvan gets away with it), no matter how much they protest that their chirpy Weegie accent isn't a Weegie accent.

What about those daft wee villages like Kilbirnie and Beith where the locals shout abuse at players wearing the numbers seeven and eleeven? They are but a short hop from the likes of Greenock and Paisley but the dialect is absolutely nothing like Weegie.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

What about those daft wee villages like Kilbirnie and Beith where the locals shout abuse at players wearing the numbers seeven and eleeven? They are but a short hop from the likes of Greenock and Paisley but the dialect is absolutely nothing like Weegie.

Guy I used to sit next to at Ibrox was from one of the fine, upstanding, staunch bits of Ayrshire.  The numbers seeven and eleeven were mentioned constantly.  I think he was doing it on purpose.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Guy I used to sit next to at Ibrox was from one of the fine, upstanding, staunch bits of Ayrshire.  The numbers seeven and eleeven were mentioned constantly.  I think he was doing it on purpose.

Played football against a team from Kilbirnie a few years back. I reckon they put the dialect on in an attempt to confuse us and gain a very much unneeded advantage.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

The "seeven/eleeven/ref, open your een" accent only really kicks in in East Ayrshire - say Cumnock downwards. All those wee towns in North Ayrshire sound more like a slightly countrified version of standard Weeginese.

Apart from the neds, who manage to sound the same anywhere you go.

17 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Credit to @Hedgecutter for the original idea but here is the zoomed out map confirming that Glasgow is indeed the finest and fairest city in our great land...

York_-_Google_Maps_-_2019-10-18_12.57.44.png

9 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Guy I used to work with was from Campbeltown and gave it seven on a regular basis.