Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

10 hours ago, smpar said:

As a mere observation, I had 15 minutes or so to kill just after getting off a train at Crosshill. I sat at Cathcart Road and it quickly dawned on me that I there were so many Asian (mostly Indian/Pakistani) people about. Must be the biggest Asian population in the country. I was also going to what (looked like) had been turned into an Asian Community Centre. 

Pollokshields has a bigger Asian Community.

Welcome. Glasgow is a fantastic place to live.
As others have mentioned the suburbs and to the south of Glasgow are good as the city center/west end is extortionate.
Just like anywhere else good and bad places, probably higher per capita nutcase ratio. Great bars, restaurants and you'll never be stuck for something to do.

I’ve lived in Glasgow previously, have a lot of friends there and visit regularly, I’m not exactly moving into the unknown.

22 hours ago, IainMorton said:

15 minute walk from Cessnock to the city centre? How fast do you walk? :o 

Its a 1.8 mile walk so he must walk at 7.2mph.

The last Britain to win a gold medal for walking at the Olympics (if my calculations are correct) walked at 8.2 mph whereas the average man walks between 3.5-4 mpg.  So it would appear we have a pretty fast walker on our hands here.  

ETA - The average speed of an Olympic level speed walker is 7.7mph.

Edited by Dindeleux

5 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Its a 1.8 mile walk so he must walk at 7.2mph.

The last Britain to win a gold medal for walking at the Olympics (if my calculations are correct) walked at 8.2 mph whereas the average man walks between 3.5-4 mpg.  So it would appear we have a pretty fast walker on our hands here.  

ETA - The average speed of an Olympic level speed walker is 7.7mph.

When I missed the last bus home I'd walk through the Sighthill flats. My speed got up there.

On 15/10/2019 at 21:34, Dindeleux said:

I say this to lots of people but if you are driving then you should consider living somewhere just outside Glasgow.  Barrhead, Johnstone, Blantyre etc.  All shiteholes but you'll get more bang for your buck with your house/flat.  It amazes me the prices people will pay to live in or close to the city centre.

I agree with this in principle but if he's driving he could go anywhere. Motherwell to the centre of Glasgow off peak takes about 20 minutes. Bathgate to the centre of Glasgow is just under half an hour. Use the M74 rather than the M8 and the commutes a breeze. It's not like Edinburgh where the Bypass is a car park during rush hour. 

Rather than Blantyre I'd probably suggest Uddingston or Cambuslang and rather than Johnstone I'd probably suggest Renfrew or Braehead all for the same reasons you've outlined but because they probably have slightly better transport links to where he's looking to go. 

I've never seen the attraction of the West End. Shite accommodation at silly prices, really difficult to park, and your neighbours are all wanky student types who get pished on a lager shandy, who think avocado toast is top quality dining and don't get me started on those twats walking around wearing trousers that last fitted them in the leg when they were 8 years old! The Merchant City is slightly better if you don't mind living in a broom cupboard! And I used to love Shawlands, but then I turned 18 and was able to get into decent pubs. And as for Cessnock, why not go the full mental and just recommend Govanhill instead? Having said that I was talking to a lady last night who reckoned living in Wine Alley was the best place she ever stayed!  

Edited by Malky3

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

I agree with this in principle but if he's driving he could go anywhere. Motherwell to the centre of Glasgow off peak takes about 20 minutes. Bathgate to the centre of Glasgow is just under half an hour. Use the M74 rather than the M8 and the commutes a breeze. It's not like Edinburgh where the Bypass is a car park during rush hour. 

Rather than Blantyre I'd probably suggest Uddingston or Cambuslang and rather than Johnstone I'd probably suggest Renfrew or Braehead all for the same reasons you've outlined but because they probably have slightly better transport links to where he's looking to go. 

I've never seen the attraction of the West End. Shite accommodation at silly prices, really difficult to park, and your neighbours are all wanky student types who get pished on a lager shandy, who think avocado toast is top quality dining and don't get me started on those twats walking around wearing trousers that last fitted them in the leg when they were 8 years old! The Merchant City is slightly better if you don't mind living in a broom cupboard! And I used to love Shawlands, but then I turned 18 and was able to get into decent pubs. And as for Cessnock, why not go the full mental and just recommend Govanhill instead? Having said that I was talking to a lady last night who reckoned living in Wine Alley was the best place she ever stayed!  

Cambuslang looks like it'd be a shite place to stay.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I stayed in Scotstoun for a bit 20 odd years ago, never really taken to Glasgow after that. 

I can understand that. This must have been very traumatic for you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5891805/Father-built-treehouse-children-ordered-tear-neighbours-complain.html

A father who built a treehouse for his children has been ordered to tear it down after his neighbours complained the 'eyesore' invaded their privacy.

Philip Vervaeke erected the 15ft-high playhouse in his back garden to allow his young family and their friends to use.

But the wooden structure sparked fury from some neighbours over privacy fears and the complaints were lodged with council bosses.

Mr Vervaeke pleaded for the treehouse in Scotstoun, Glasgow, to stay and offered to adjust the structure, but he was ordered to knock it down.

Philip Vervaeke built a treehouse for his children but has been ordered to tear it down after his neighbours complained that the 'eyesore' invaded their privacy

39 minutes ago, thisal said:

I can understand that. This must have been very traumatic for you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5891805/Father-built-treehouse-children-ordered-tear-neighbours-complain.html

A father who built a treehouse for his children has been ordered to tear it down after his neighbours complained the 'eyesore' invaded their privacy.

Philip Vervaeke erected the 15ft-high playhouse in his back garden to allow his young family and their friends to use.

But the wooden structure sparked fury from some neighbours over privacy fears and the complaints were lodged with council bosses.

Mr Vervaeke pleaded for the treehouse in Scotstoun, Glasgow, to stay and offered to adjust the structure, but he was ordered to knock it down.

Philip Vervaeke built a treehouse for his children but has been ordered to tear it down after his neighbours complained that the 'eyesore' invaded their privacy

Looks far too leafy for me, I stayed on Dumbarton Road, it was a shitehole. 

51 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It is, one very long absolute shitehole.

Edinburgh is by far Scotlands best city.

Having lived in both (and liked both) the above is rubbish. They’re both great places to live (in the right areas) and have different positives and negatives but the extremes you get from people about one or the other being “by far the best city” are garbage.

You can always consult the mink map if looking at specific areas, the scarlet ones below being those classed as being the most deprived 20% in the country.

368702863_MinkMap.JPG.73eb0ecc99c882c919e48a0e11173b8c.JPG

Then there's the Rigside Red below showing the most deprived 5%.  :unsure:

MinkMap2.JPG.6b6f6605d730a32fba9486168b59ff88.JPG

Even the former mining cesspits of West Fife (Kelty, Valleyfield and Oakley included) and the very worst parts of Aberdeen (& Fraserburgh/Peterhead) escape the dark red. 

Just let that sink in.

MM3.JPG.a77db67e3f229045de90b5fbafdb9504.JPG

Edited by Hedgecutter