Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

2 minutes ago, Tam M said:

I’m in Renfrew, I get the 7.25am express bus and I’m at my work In my desk across from charing cross for 7.50am. My rent for a 2 bedroom, 2004 build is £595, council tax £86 a month after the wife moved out.

Are you asking Jambomo to move in?

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Last time I lived in Glasgow I stayed at Parade Park, in Dennsitoun.

Just one short stint in the Weege has clearly rubbed off on you.  Let this be an eye-opener before you make any further rash decisions.

On 14/10/2019 at 16:19, Jambomo said:

Thanks folks. I would need parking so that might narrow down the options a little. I would probably want something in an area without dealers/junkies/rangers fans if I possibly can 😂

I say this to lots of people but if you are driving then you should consider living somewhere just outside Glasgow.  Barrhead, Johnstone, Blantyre etc.  All shiteholes but you'll get more bang for your buck with your house/flat.  It amazes me the prices people will pay to live in or close to the city centre.

Had eight years living near to Cessnock subway while at uni. Not great on match days but all the amenities close by, fifteen minute walk to town and a half dozen stops from the west end made it a pretty decent spot. Rent is (was?) very reasonable as well. 

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

You've done this very suddenly, do you have a job to go to?

I work offshore and my girlfriend works in Glasgow. She commutes daily from Dumfries, just over an hour each way, when I’m home. When I’m offshore she stays with her aunt in Rutherglen a few nights a week but commutes the other couple of days. We’d discussed previously about buying a flat in Glasgow and keeping the house in Dumfries, but this morning I just thought f**k it, so it looks like it’s happening. 

We haven’t actually talked about it in a while, spur of the moment suggestion that seems to be happening. 

Edited by MONKMAN

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

Glasgow is great if you ignore the hipstery areas such as Shawlands, Dennistoun and Finnieston. Partick, Whiteinch, Scotstoun, Anniesland are where it’s at. Either walking or good public transport distance to the West End/Town and you’re far enough away that rent/size of flat or house would be reasonable.

Many years ago I lived in Temple which was ok but a wee bit further in to the west got pretty unsafe fast. Not sure these days how it is. The Lock 27 pub was full of Nanjiani from Bearsden though so that was nice though you needed a recent BMW to stand a chance (I didn't so blame that more than my non existent charm or sex appeal).

1 hour ago, Menzel said:

Had eight years living near to Cessnock subway while at uni. Not great on match days but all the amenities close by, fifteen minute walk to town and a half dozen stops from the west end made it a pretty decent spot. Rent is (was?) very reasonable as well. 

15 minute walk from Cessnock to the city centre? How fast do you walk? :o 

On 14/10/2019 at 20:08, philpy said:

The area around Crosshill Station seems decent enough

As a mere observation, I had 15 minutes or so to kill just after getting off a train at Crosshill. I sat at Cathcart Road and it quickly dawned on me that I there were so many Asian (mostly Indian/Pakistani) people about. Must be the biggest Asian population in the country. I was also going to what (looked like) had been turned into an Asian Community Centre. 

Shawlands, King's Park and Strathbungo look like good recommendations. You're by no means guaranteed your ideal parking space in Shawlands but it's manageable. 

9 hours ago, smpar said:

As a mere observation, I had 15 minutes or so to kill just after getting off a train at Crosshill. I sat at Cathcart Road and it quickly dawned on me that I there were so many Asian (mostly Indian/Pakistani) people about. Must be the biggest Asian population in the country. I was also going to what (looked like) had been turned into an Asian Community Centre. 

Shawlands, King's Park and Strathbungo look like good recommendations. You're by no means guaranteed your ideal parking space in Shawlands but it's manageable. 

I lived in Crosshill for a couple of years. It’s the only place (in Scotland) where I’ve been subjected to racism.

10 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I work offshore and my girlfriend works in Glasgow. She commutes daily from Dumfries, just over an hour each way, when I’m home. When I’m offshore she stays with her aunt in Rutherglen a few nights a week but commutes the other couple of days. We’d discussed previously about buying a flat in Glasgow and keeping the house in Dumfries, but this morning I just thought f**k it, so it looks like it’s happening. 

We haven’t actually talked about it in a while, spur of the moment suggestion that seems to be happening. 

Welcome. Glasgow is a fantastic place to live.

As others have mentioned the suburbs and to the south of Glasgow are good as the city center/west end is extortionate.

Just like anywhere else good and bad places, probably higher per capita nutcase ratio. Great bars, restaurants and you'll never be stuck for something to do.

19 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I lived in Crosshill for a couple of years. It’s the only place (in Scotland) where I’ve been subjected to racism.

I hope you're not using the lazy stereotype that because you excel at mathematics you must be Asian.

10 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

You did talk to her about it before you put it on the market, though?