Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

Telling someone they have made the correct decision by moving from Edinburgh to Glasgow and then recommending they move to Dennistoun is one of the most absurd things I have ever read.

I don’t know when you were last in Dennistoun, but it is a pretty decent place to live nowadays and get much more for your money than you would in the west end.

The suggestion that being out the house for 12 hours a day is normal is crazy talk.  

It’s all about balance.  Young and no family? Rent a nice pad as close to your work as possible and enjoy the buzz of city centre.  Thinking of the future? Get yer ass out of the city circa 30-45 mins away and buy a place.  

You could argue that doing the latter is a waste of time cos you could just stay where you are and spend a couple more hours a day commuting but that time is precious and will completely drain you.  You can buy a nice 3 bed house in Ayrshire for 100k in a decent area.  If you do move again at least you will have built some capital or have a place to rent out.  Good luck with the move.

18 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Got a new job in Glasgow and thought at first i'd just commute from Edinburgh but am now considering moving there.

I just wanted to get the collective of P&B's advice :), what's it like to live there? Which areas should I be looking at in terms of living there for a reasonable rent? Will I be murdered? 

Cheers all.

Shawlands/Strathbungo area.

Thank me later.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If you're living in one city centre and working in the other I think the commute is pretty doable. If you're having to add another leg to the journey either way it's pretty hellish.

I am lucky that I am in the city centre here and will be central in Glasgow, which was the reason I though commuting might be an option in the beginning. Its the cost of commuting that puts me off, feels like chucking money away tbh.

Edited by Jambomo

I’ve this very morning decided I’m moving back to Glasgow.

Update.

In the past few hours I’ve contacted the estate agents to arrange a valuation on my house tomorrow, survey and home report next week so it’ll be on the market in the next week or so. Agent said having sold several in the street behind mine in the past 6 months, it should move pretty quick.

Looks like I’ve a busy few months ahead.

Last time I lived in Glasgow I stayed at Parade Park, in Dennsitoun. Very convenient place to live and I could smell the Wellpark Brewery on a warm summers day.