Living in Glasgow

Jambomo

Got a new job in Glasgow and thought at first i'd just commute from Edinburgh but am now considering moving there.

I just wanted to get the collective of P&B's advice :), what's it like to live there? Which areas should I be looking at in terms of living there for a reasonable rent? Will I be murdered? 

Cheers all.

What area of Glasgow will you be working in? Trying to think in terms of the transport links for getting to and from work.

Commuting from Edinburgh is definitely doable but can be expensive as well as time consuming.

West End is still where it's at as far as I'm concerned. If I ever move home I'll be looking there for somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

What area of Glasgow will you be working in? Trying to think in terms of the transport links for getting to and from work.

Commuting from Edinburgh is definitely doable but can be expensive as well as time consuming.

West End is still where it's at as far as I'm concerned. If I ever move home I'll be looking there for somewhere.

I will be at Glasgow uni at both Hillhead and at Charing Cross (I think). It was the expense that got me thinking really, the train pass for a year is £4k which is ridiculous. 

11 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Congratulations on bettering yourself.  Welcome to Scotland's Largest And Greatest City.

Ha ha cheers. It does look pretty good, I always enjoy my days out there. 

Guest Moomintroll

Got a new job in Glasgow and thought at first i'd just commute from Edinburgh but am now considering moving there.
I just wanted to get the collective of P&B's advice [emoji4], what's it like to live there? Which areas should I be looking at in terms of living there for a reasonable rent? Will I be murdered? 
Cheers all.

What area will you actually be working in, some places are utter shitholes but have good transport links so are deceptively cheap, others are great but can take forever to get into the city centre.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

I will be at Glasgow uni at both Hillhead and at Charing Cross (I think). It was the expense that got me thinking really, the train pass for a year is £4k which is ridiculous. 

Hillhead and Charing Cross are both well served by public transport, railway/subway links give you decent scope in terms of a wide search area. @RH33 is right that the West End can be quite pricey but if you are private renting in Edinburgh at the moment then I would be surprised if there is a huge jump if you move to Glasgow. Shawlands is decent but is not ideal in terms of public transport, not close enough to the subway and no direct trains that run through Charing Cross. Partick/Hyndland/Broomhill/Dowanhill/Woodlands would all be good in terms of that side of things but you need a bit of luck at times with who you end up living next door to(A lot of students and young professionals in flat shares, and all that goes with it),  Dennistoun and the Merchant City are handy for the train but again the same applies.

Southside I have no great knowledge of and everything I say above is based on the living there 7 years ago and never being back since...

12 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Somewhere to the West would be my suggestion Knightswood (shut up), Anniesland, Partick, Whiteinch etc. 

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Hillhead and Charing Cross are both well served by public transport, railway/subway links give you decent scope in terms of a wide search area. @RH33 is right that the West End can be quite pricey but if you are private renting in Edinburgh at the moment then I would be surprised if there is a huge jump if you move to Glasgow. Shawlands is decent but is not ideal in terms of public transport, not close enough to the subway and no direct trains that run through Charing Cross. Partick/Hyndland/Broomhill/Dowanhill/Woodlands would all be good in terms of that side of things but you need a bit of luck at times with who you end up living next door to(A lot of students and young professionals in flat shares, and all that goes with it),  Dennistoun and the Merchant City are handy for the train but again the same applies.

Southside I have no great knowledge of and everything I say above is based on the living there 7 years ago and never being back since...

Shawlands is nice, but more expensive than other places close by. It's also a nightmare for parking (if you have a car obviously). The number 4/6 wends its way through the Southside and will drop you near Charing Cross, but it takes ages - I'd probably just get the train and hoof it. 

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Somewhere to the West would be my suggestion Knightswood (shut up), Anniesland, Partick, Whiteinch etc. 

Knightswood is very much luck dependent as well. If you know the area you can get great value for money. If you don't, you can end up living next door to junkies/drug dealers/gangsters/sub human scum. Whiteinch I would say the same applies. Both require a reasonable level of local knowledge before you risk living there.

8 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Knightswood is very much luck dependent as well. If you know the area you can get great value for money. If you don't, you can end up living next door to junkies/drug dealers/gangsters/sub human scum. Whiteinch I would say the same applies. Both require a reasonable level of local knowledge before you risk living there.

Or even KnightswoowBear...

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Thanks folks. I would need parking so that might narrow down the options a little. I would probably want something in an area without dealers/junkies/rangers fans if I possibly can 😂

Et tu, Brute? 

ETA: you as well, auld c**t. 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

I moved to Glasgow last September having lived, worked and studied in Edinburgh for 8 years. Admittedly I felt I had pretty much ticked every box off as far as Edinburgh was concerned so there's a personal element to this, but it's a great city to live in and I' can't recommend the move enough. I live in Merchant City but all of my pals through here stay out the West End. Can recommend both highly, not really ventured into the Southside or much more east than where I live. 

A friend of mines from Edinburgh has just got a new job based in Glasgow, he's negotiated 3/5 days in Glasgow and the other 2 back in Edinburgh but for the opening few months he's commuting to the Glasgow office by train and working there everyday. He's absolutely fucking knackered every day, as was I when I commuted for two weeks to Glasgow before moving. Might seem like less hassle but you've got to get the balance right, being out the house 12+ hours every day isn't too great. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

How about Juniper Green? 

Chock full of Rangers fans i think.

7 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I moved to Glasgow last September having lived, worked and studied in Edinburgh for 8 years. Admittedly I felt I had pretty much ticked every box off as far as Edinburgh was concerned so there's a personal element to this, but it's a great city to live in and I' can't recommend the move enough. I live in Merchant City but all of my pals through here stay out the West End. Can recommend both highly, not really ventured into the Southside or much more east than where I live. 

A friend of mines from Edinburgh has just got a new job based in Glasgow, he's negotiated 3/5 days in Glasgow and the other 2 back in Edinburgh but for the opening few months he's commuting to the Glasgow office by train and working there everyday. He's absolutely fucking knackered every day, as was I when I commuted for two weeks to Glasgow before moving. Might seem like less hassle but you've got to get the balance right, being out the house 12+ hours every day isn't too great. 

I have lived in Edinburgh all my life so I am happy to try somewhere new. The OH isn't very keen though, I might be able to persuade him though. mainly by threatening that he'll be homeless if I f**k off :)

49 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Congratulations on bettering yourself.  Welcome to Scotland's Largest And Greatest City.

To paraphrase an old saying: moving from Edinburgh to Glasgow should generally be encouraged, because every time someone does so, the average IQ of both cities rises.