November Squad (vs Cyprus & Kazakhstan)

Gordopolis

7 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Your argument is a bit backwards. Certain players seem to withdraw themselves from “meaningless games” and certain people seem to think that’s acceptable. Tell me this, if we were in a position to qualify over the 2 games would Robertson and Fraser have been withdrawn? Not a chance. These games aren’t meaningless, it’s a chance to get prepared for the nations league games and will be our final two games before then. What kind of message does it send to the rest of the squad when certain players seem to be allowed to pick and choose what games they’re involved in. No matter how good or talented the players who are choosing not to play are, they shouldn’t be considered in the future imo.

At least they have the quality to back it up (awaits the wailing of folk demanding Robertson is hung and drawn because he struggles more defensively beside Mulgrew than Van Djik). 

Morgan has literally never shown anything to suggest hes close to International level. He had one good season in the Championship, and got signed by Celtic as part of their bizarre wee spell of just signing any young Scot (see Jack Hendry).

Morgan has played 12 minutes of football since August FFS.

39 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Had a look at transfermarkt and Kingsley hasn't started a game since 21st September, only making the bench once since then so it doesn't seem like there's many fit left backs playing regularly at the moment at all.

Aaron Hickley

Can only surmise the likes of Morgan and Shinnie have been called up on the basis that at least they’ll actually show up.  Not much else. 

Take the captaincy of Robertson. It a) stifles him. B) can’t have the captain anything less than 100% committed. Bad example. 

Edited by paddymcp

Would you not have to go through the paperwork to get Targett to play after him previously changing from Scotland to England. Would probably be an issue getting it done this short notice.

Edited by Rodhull

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

At least they have the quality to back it up (awaits the wailing of folk demanding Robertson is hung and drawn because he struggles more defensively beside Mulgrew than Van Djik). 

Morgan has literally never shown anything to suggest hes close to International level. He had one good season in the Championship, and got signed by Celtic as part of their bizarre wee spell of just signing any young Scot (see Jack Hendry).

Morgan has played 12 minutes of football since August FFS.

Transfermkt says that Greg Taylor has played 2 minutes of first-team football since August. FFS!

Yet Clarke allowed Tierney to pull out because he has unspecified " issues" whilst being fully fit to play for Arsenal.

We need a manager with the balls to stand up to the EPL clubs and invoke the UEFA rule if necessary.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

^^^clutches chest  "Christ, me ticker!"

It just appealed to my sense of humour, the sharp one liners are most often the best...........

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Would you not have to go through the paperwork to get Targett to play after him previously changing from Scotland to England. Would probably be an issue getting it done this short notice.

Shouldn't be a problem. Transfers can be done minutes before the deadline.

I've been arguing for Targett as a possible selection for months.

Given our weak management and his recent injuries, Aston Villa may not allow him to turn up.

2 hours ago, Kuro said:

Bullshit, you're just a w****r.  Our support is fantastic as good as it gets, it's entirely natural people are fed up, we watched Robertson less than 48 hours ago.fit as a fiddle flying around the park full ninety minutes, no mention of injury after the game. It's obvious with the xmas fixtures coming up Liverpool have said he's better resting etc.   He's our fucking captain, I would say give it to McKenna permanently at least he turns up.

You, of all people here, calling me a w****r
ray liotta laughing GIF

2 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

I’d happily see Robertson stay away from the Scotland squad in the future. He’s been utter shite anytime he’s played for Scotland. It’s about time we played boys who actually want to play for Scotland and in their correct position rather than try to fit all these bigger names in because we feel we have to. Not enough fight in recent Scotland teams, mainly because players like Robertson clearly cannot be arsed.

Utter shite you say?

50 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

This is the second time he’s withdrawn from a game where there’s not much to be gained. He’s quite clearly not injured and he shouldn’t be allowed to pick and choose his games, no matter how talented he is.

International football seems to be a chore for certain people in the Scotland setup.

I don't like jumping on bandwagons, but in this case the I can't find any possible way to disagree with the general consensus.

You are indeed a moron

24 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Transfermkt says that Greg Taylor has played 2 minutes of first-team football since August. FFS!

Greg Taylor has been one of the best left backs in the country for years.

Just to sum this all up

- Harry Soutar is the best centre back this country has.

- David Bates is crap judged on being injured for a couple of months and thus not getting a game for Sheffield Wednesday.

- We need to call up Matt Targett, Joe Bryan, Bobby Allain and everyone else that has a 2nd nationality being Scottish on the Football Manager game.

- Andy Robertson is utter shite.

- Billy Gilmour is world class despite never actually playing a full 90 minutes of professional football.

- Callum Hudson Odoi never played for England before starting for Chelsea thus proving someone likes a few wee porkies.

- Some folk want Scott McKenna back but don’t want two Aberdeen centre backs in the squad. 

- Folk want Stephen Kingsley called up regardless to whether they have actually seen him kick a ball this season. Hint - none of them have.

Probably missed some usual pish about McBurnie too.

As you were please.

44 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

Can only surmise the likes of Morgan and Shinnie have been called up on the basis that at least they’ll actually show up.  Not much else. 

Take the captaincy of Robertson. It a) stifles him. B) can’t have the captain anything less than 100% committed. Bad example. 

You do realise Robertson has showed up right? 

This is embarrassing 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Greg Taylor has been one of the best left backs in the country for years.

That's in the past. Currently, he is third choice at Celtic and can't get on the bench if Hayes is available. 

Taylor played only a few minutes this season and desperately needs matches. That is not suitable preparation for an international competition.

I've never been one who is that fussed about players skipping games in principle. From the player's perspective I'm sure they are honoured to be playing for their country, but equally they have their own club careers to think of. Ryan Fraser wants a move to Liverpool, Robertson wants to win a title, Tierney wants to prove himself at Arsenal. If resting improves their chances of being fresh and achieving their aims then I don't blame them. You could also argue that them playing regularly at the top level will help us in years to come, or even just be fresher later in the season for the play-offs. It's balancing act.

However, on this occasion I am slightly concerned. It is clear that our current priority is that we need to sort out our hopeless defence for these play-offs. It seems every game we just put together a random selection of defenders and the end result is entirely predictable. You cannot expect defenders of any ability, let alone ours, to just instantly form an understanding together. It's a bit different for attackers, but solid defences are not ones that necessarily have the best individuals, it's the ones that are the best organised and can play in a structured unit (see Northern Ireland). We need to do everything we can to get a regular back 4 on the pitch and get them used to playing with each other, these games should be used to start that process for the play-offs.

Robertson, McKenna, Tierney (as a right back) and one other is our best defence and we should trying to use these games to start to form an understanding with them. I don't believe for a second that those players couldn't at least put together 60 minutes for us in these games.

We have our best chance in a generation of qualifying yet at the current rate we will be going in to these play-offs with a completely untried back 4, and it will cost us. Like I say I don't really blame the players, it is up to Clarke to make this case to them and make them realise how crucial it is that they play some part.