November Squad (vs Cyprus & Kazakhstan)

Gordopolis

Palmer was fine but I wouldn't want to experiment with Tierney at CB in a back four, so he comes in at right-back.

Not sure about Caulker but also not sure about any of the other CB options. They're all much of a muchness, so it might seem a bit strange to try another new pairing at this stage - but I don't really want Mulgrew involved and at least Caulker has that big match experience. Albeit not at international level.

Armstrong just gets the edge over McGregor for me, but if he's still not playing at Southampton by the time these matches come around then I'd maybe make that swap.

Also not much between Christie and Forrest, just think he offers something a little different. 

Keeping the faith with Shankland.

Marshall

Tierney - Caulker - Findlay - Robertson

McGinn - McTominay - Armstrong

Fraser - Shankland - Christie

McLaughlin, MacGilivray, Palmer, Taylor, McKenna, Jack, Fleck, McGregor, Forrest, Russell, Burke, McBurnie.

31 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gilmour isn't even remotely comparable with any of those mid-20s players with a handful of caps who you're talking about.

I'm not really sure why you've lifted a load of shite players to make whatever point you're trying to make.  You've obviously not understood mine. 

The players you've listed weren't good enough then, and not good enough now.   That's not what I'm saying. 

Should we persist with the likes of John Fleck or Graeme Shinnie (two random examples) as back-up midfielders in the squad when they'll never be the future of our midfield?  While there's never any guarantees in football, it's a reasonable shout to suggest, considering where he is at Chelsea just now, Billy Gilmour will be spending his career at a level as high, or higher, than the midfielders he'll be competing with to get into the Scotland midfield over the next few years.

There will always be the necessity to pad out our squad with 'decent' players who'll never get more than a handful of caps, of course there will be, but when there's obvious talent coming through, we should be getting these guys involved in the senior squad as soon as possible. 

6 hours ago, QwaarJet said:

As much as I'd like to see it, not a chance Gilmour is in the squad unless he at least a semi-regular with the senior Chelsea team.

Yet if he was welsh or northern irish theyd no hesitate to call him up? whats the difference?

How about stephen odonnell for one, then you have the other striker, play a 352, theres nothing to lose trying something different is there? 

Ignoring the fact that o’donnell didnt play in the last two games, he is a defender and you are replacing him with a striker. So who is your third centre half? I would assume you are you suggestijg playing Andy Robertson at left wing back which he has already said in the past is not his favoured or best position. Where would you play ryan fraser? His position is left wing.

Sounds like you are wanting to move our best players out their favoured positions to accommodate oliver burke

17 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Ignoring the fact that o’donnell didnt play in the last two games, he is a defender and you are replacing him with a striker. So who is your third centre half? I would assume you are you suggestijg playing Andy Robertson at left wing back which he has already said in the past is not his favoured or best position. Where would you play ryan fraser? His position is left wing.

Sounds like you are wanting to move our best players out their favoured positions to accommodate oliver burke

No im suggesting try something, robertson hasnt exactly set the world alight since his goal, if he cannot play left wing back then drop him, its not a win or bust game

As for the centre halves, again its a glorified friendly, pick any 3 and give them a shot, 

Or do you champion using the same system and players that have done so outstandingly well

And as for burke, i simply suggested him for his pace, if required then replace him with shankland, just try two up top and allow them to stop the opposition attacks before they get near scotlands hakf which usually results in panic stations and mistakes being made

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Palmer was fine but I wouldn't want to experiment with Tierney at CB in a back four, so he comes in at right-back.

Not sure about Caulker but also not sure about any of the other CB options. They're all much of a muchness, so it might seem a bit strange to try another new pairing at this stage - but I don't really want Mulgrew involved and at least Caulker has that big match experience. Albeit not at international level.

Armstrong just gets the edge over McGregor for me, but if he's still not playing at Southampton by the time these matches come around then I'd maybe make that swap.

Also not much between Christie and Forrest, just think he offers something a little different. 

Keeping the faith with Shankland.

Marshall

Tierney - Caulker - Findlay - Robertson

McGinn - McTominay - Armstrong

Fraser - Shankland - Christie

McLaughlin, MacGilivray, Palmer, Taylor, McKenna, Jack, Fleck, McGregor, Forrest, Russell, Burke, McBurnie.

To me thats a 451 against the might of khazakstan and Cyprus, far too negative in what are essentially friendlies for clarke to try something bold and different

In the last couple of years Scotland has lost a lot of experience at international level,
Goalkeepers:: McGregor and Gordon
Defenders: Hutton,Berra,Whittaker,Martin
Midfield: Fletcher,Brown,Maloney,Morrison,McArthur,Anya and now Snodgrass
Striker :  probably Fletcher 

Now we have a pool of players finding their feet at international level for me the balance is on tilt.
We only have 5 players over 25 caps Mulgrew,Naismith,Robertson,Forrest and Marshall.

57 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

To me thats a 451 against the might of khazakstan and Cyprus, far too negative in what are essentially friendlies for clarke to try something bold and different

What did you think in the last 2 games did you think the striker was isolated?
Against Russia Snodgrass and McGinn were supporting Burke but the problem was Burke was shite and Snodgrass is finished.

32 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

What did you think in the last 2 games did you think the striker was isolated?
Against Russia Snodgrass and McGinn were supporting Burke but the problem was Burke was shite and Snodgrass is finished.

Thankfully announced his international retirement today. Now, if Mulgrew could do the same that would be swell. 

6 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Thankfully announced his international retirement today. Now, if Mulgrew could do the same that would be swell. 

Mulgrew and Naismith are on the brink, could Mulgrew play in front of the back 4 or is Naismith's still got the legs?
For me the last two of many failed cam-pains.

I'd like to see us pick our best players 12 or 13 players and then have more of an eye on the future now with the "squad players". I know we are doing OK in 21s but full squad far more important. Rather than the likes of O'Donnell, pick Ross McCrorie. Instead of John Fleck pick Billy Gilmour. Instead of mulgrew, absolutely anyone. 

Marshall, mcgillivary, Robbie Mccrorie 

Tierney, Robertson, McKenna, Hanley, Findlay, Taylor, palmer, Porteous, Ross Mccrorie 

McGregor, mcginn, Christie, Jack, mctominay, Fraser, forrest, Michael Johnston, gilmour

Shankland, Burke, Hornby 

1 hour ago, gonzohiggy said:

I'd like to see us pick our best players 12 or 13 players and then have more of an eye on the future now with the "squad players". I know we are doing OK in 21s but full squad far more important. Rather than the likes of O'Donnell, pick Ross McCrorie. Instead of John Fleck pick Billy Gilmour. Instead of mulgrew, absolutely anyone. 

Marshall, mcgillivary, Robbie Mccrorie 

Tierney, Robertson, McKenna, Hanley, Findlay, Taylor, palmer, Porteous, Ross Mccrorie 

McGregor, mcginn, Christie, Jack, mctominay, Fraser, forrest, Michael Johnston, gilmour

Shankland, Burke, Hornby 

Ross McCrorie isn’t doing well at Portsmouth. Robbie ain’t ever getting a game whilst playing in the Scottish championship. Shankland is a one off.  Greg Taylor so 3 left backs. No McBurnie.

Behave yourself.

Ross McCrorie isn’t doing well at Portsmouth. Robbie ain’t ever getting a game whilst playing in the Scottish championship. Shankland is a one off.  Greg Taylor so 3 left backs. No McBurnie.

Behave yourself.

Also wants the keeper one in. Defo the mccrorie da’ or a moronic ***. Probably both.

Scotland getting pumped off two good team in russia and belgium and some fans are shouting to bring the youngsters in.

For the record, these games are not glorified friendlies. Clarke needs to use these games to get a settled team for the play offs.

1 hour ago, RobbieD said:

Behave yourself.

Fs, I was trying to make a general point that we should be trying to integrate our 21s earlier. Didnt take too long to pick it hence why I've got 3 left backs. Sorry about that.

To address one of your points - Ross Mccrorie can be a very good player in my opinion, agressive, quick, adaptable and composed. Just because he isn't playing regularly at this particular point in the season doesn't mean he's a write off. I think he's a proper defensive midfielder but can see him at right back or centre half when he fills out. 

Sure it's important that guys are playing regularly at the highest level possible, especially longer term but I like to judge a player on ability as well. Stuart Armstrong for example is one of our best players, should always be in the squad and more often than not in the team.