Christie

Fraser

Forrest

Burke

McBurnie

Fletcher (if we can get him to commit)

Shankland

Defence:

Get Mulgrew fired into the sea and then the sun.

Quite liking the idea of McKenna and Hanley at the back, though maybe worth persisting with Findlay or Devlin alongside McKenna instead.

Tierney first choice RB, unless we decide to try him and McKenna at CB.

Midfield:

Picks itself. Just need them to perform to their club levels.

Strikers:

Trying to keep the strikers to genuine strikers. None of this listing Fraser, Forrest etc as strikers pish.

Johnny Russell seems like a good guy and can't fault him for effort, but the whole "deserves a cap for making the effort to turn up" stuff is cringeworthy. He's okay but clearly not the axis of Scotland's near to mid term future attack. Get him in the bin.

Also, I think Griffiths is done at the top level, unfortunately.

can’t disagree with the choices maybe add in hornby,mcclennan and porteous from the u20s?

Gallagher as a big lump at the back is worth a shout. Personally I reckon halkett could be a future Scotland captain. Shame he got injured.

can’t disagree with the choices maybe add in hornby,mcclennan and porteous from the u20s?
Gallagher as a big lump at the back is worth a shout. Personally I reckon halkett could be a future Scotland captain. Shame he got injured.

If Hornby scores over the next month I would have him in tbh.

For the CBs I'd go Cooper, McKenna + two more. Mulgrew will probably get a call for "experience" and Devlin for continuity. Meh.

Palmer's not done much wrong in the last couple of games, but if we're wanting to play Tierney at right-back for the foreseeable future then it's got to be tested in these two games.

I wouldn't want to see Armstrong drop out again, so I'd just stick with the midfielders who were called up this time + him.

I'd happily see Russell and Snodgrass omitted, but our depth in the wide areas is pretty shite.

If Hornby scores over the next month I would have him in tbh.
Very tempting. Be great if he tears up the Belgian league during his loan season but there's only a few weeks between now and the next squad selection. Enough time to justify a callup? Heart says yes, head says no.

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Porteous and McLennan are miles off it right now. McLennan can't even get in the Aberdeen team.

Tierney won't be in the squad. He'll find some reason to wriggle out of it.

Not convinced about Shankland either. Fine against San Marino and Gibraltar type nations but that's about it surely.

Tbh I'm not convinced by Shankland either. But we'll never be convinced about shankland until he proves us wrong, and if we never give him the chance, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's no better time to include him vs slightly stronger nations (Cyprus K'stan) than now, when we're really short of strikers.

I suspect/hope he could be on the verge of a mid-career breakthrough. Best case, he'll continue to rip if up for Utd, get a poacher's goal or two in the November internationals, then get a January move to a club that more justifies his international selection. Then we've got a solid goalscoring striker on our hands. Loads of ifs there but as I say, the current fact is we have few other options at the moment.

I posted this in another thread but didn't get much response, feel like centre defence is the main talking point for us so I'll stick it in again.

Lindsay was doing very well before he went to Stoke, it seems to have gone completely tits up there for Nathan Jones so I don't think we should judge Lindsay too harshly yet. I'd be interested to hear if he's on Clarke's radar though as I seen him a fair bit in the Championship for Barnsley and I'd have rated him ahead of that clutch of decent SPL players like Souttar, Devlin, Gallagher, Halkett and Kerr.

I'm a massive believer that you need a solid partnership at the back, most good teams have that and consistency and kuck with injuries is key. Northern Irelands success is built on the Evans-Cathcart partnership.

I also think it's worth a real go to get Caulker on board, he's a step above anyone else we've got especially physically where he is an absolute unit. He would give us a level of presence and experience that we sorely lack. Other than him it's:

Hanley and Mulgrew are bombscares, we know they aren't good enough so for me they're discounted and we commit to a younger partnership with more potential.

McKenna who looks a good prospect and could maybe make the left sided centre back position his own given an injury free run.

Cooper hasn't convinced me yet but I'd not gripe if he got a run alongside McKenna as Leeds and Bielsa aren't mugs and he's a cornerstone for then.

Bates looks another good if raw prospect, a spell abroad will at least have seasoned him but now he is coming back from injury if he doesn't break into the Sheffield Wedneday team and consistently impress in the Championship then he's probably not going to be the regular Bundesliga and Scotland centre back fixture we would like to see him become. Big season for him.

I don't mind the look of Findlay, he's got the physical attributes and I'd have him at the front of the Scottish Premiership queue at the moment.

Souttar is alright but I quietly worry he's still not as good as Berra, could do with testing himself at a higher level.

Halkett, Kerr, Gallagher, Devlin and also Hendry are all solidish Premiership players but shouldn't be playing for Scotland unless they're absolutely tearing the league up. The Premiership is too weak now, solid at that level equates to poor at international level (See SOD as a prime example). McKenna could still fall into this category but I think he's maybe shown enough to be better.

To summarise if everyone is fit I'd like to see the four in the squad be McKenna, Cooper, Bates and Findlay with the first two a likely first choice pairing. We then commit to that pairing for a reasonable spell and give it every chance of bedding in solidly by playing Tierney at RB with Robertson at LB and someone sitting in front to protect them. A massive thing that would help us would be a bit of luck and keeping those 4 injury free for long enough that they can bed in as a back 4.

If Caulker is interested he'd jump into the first XI ahead of one or the other and we can build around his strength. Equally once Jones is sacked at Stoke if Lindsay is into the equation there then he pushes one of Bates or Findlay out the squad.

Thoughts?

I know he wasn’t the most popular player but if Chris Martin continues his good run of form for Derby I’d call him up. If Fletcher has no interest in coming back I think Martin is the only reasonable target man style Striker we have.

He’s no world beater obviously but would surely hold on to the ball and bring our attacking midfielders into play more effectively than the other ‘more talented’ strikers we have.

Watching the Wales game today and they had some lad up front I’d never heard of but he did a decent job of taking in plenty of long balls and maintaining possession in a way I don’t remember any Scotland striker doing recently.

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I suspect/hope he could be on the verge of a mid-career breakthrough. Best case, he'll continue to rip if up for Utd, get a poacher's goal or two in the November internationals, then get a January move to a club that more justifies his international selection. Then we've got a solid goalscoring striker on our hands. Loads of ifs there but as I say, the current fact is we have few other options at the moment.

This is nonsense...if youre good enough it shouldn't matter who you're currently playing for. Shankland is an example of this and even the likes of Foden/Hudson-Odoi being called up for England when, at the time, they weren't playing regularly for their club sides.

I'd like to see Clarke experiment with some of the call ups with an eye on the future. Get some of the younger guys in like McLennan, Gilmour, Hornby etc and maybe even get Dykes involved to get him Scottish-ised as his hold up play is as close to Steven Fletcher we've probably got available at the moment.