The Future under Steve Clarke

purefitbaw

https://purefitbaw.com/2019/10/13/dour-and-defensive-steve-clarke-right-manager-at-the-wrong-time/

I wrote an article today about why Steve Clarke maybe needs to change his approach from the "Killie" way to maybe something a bit more positive. 

Would love any feedback or any thoughts!

The way Scotland have played under Clarke so far has been a million miles from the way his teams played at Killie. Our recent heavy defeats (and bear in mind all 4 of them are against World Cup quarter-finalists) haven't been down to us being too defensive, they've been down to us folding like a cheap suit every single time we've conceded a goal. The attitude in ths squad is sorely lacking.

Guest DAVIDB69

We have used nearly 50 players since summer 18 which is disgraceful . When we want to “ have a look” at players like the Portsmouth guy in 30s today. Do we actually watch players then put them in squads or do we just cap them and watch them then. A lot of the let’s make them Scottish , cap them scattergun approach has been awful.

We really should know what our best squad is but we just don’t have a clue. Of those 48 players probably 30 plus of them should be nowhere near international football.

I appreciate we have more withdrawals than the other home nations wonder why, but until we get rid of the random Tombola section policy we won’t ever get any better.

Russia at home we pressed aggresively for 20 mins and got our reward, we then went into two banks of 4 and shelled long balls out to McBurnie. 

Yes we need pragmatism but i don't think that we are playing to get the best out of the starting line up - Which also seems to change a lot without a lot of understanding as to why? 

I don't think that Clarke needs to be let go but I do think we can't just replicate the "Killie" side he had. 

9 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

We have used nearly 50 players since summer 18 which is disgraceful . When we want to “ have a look” at players like the Portsmouth guy in 30s today. 

I assume when you refer to us wanting ‘to have a look at’... ‘Portsmouth guy in 30s today’, you are referring to Craig MacGillivray, who plays for Portsmouth, but is 26, and didn’t play tonight, rather than Jon McLaughlin, who plays for Sunderland, is 32, and did?

Rants are more effective when they have a semblance of factual accuracy.

Guest DAVIDB69
I assume when you refer to us wanting ‘to have a look at’... ‘Portsmouth guy in 30s today’, you are referring to Craig MacGillivray, who plays for Portsmouth, but is 26, and didn’t play tonight, rather than Jon McLaughlin, who plays for Sunderland, is 32, and did?
Rants are more effective when they have a semblance of factual accuracy.

I got it wrong so what I thought he played for Portsmouth

Your all muttering shite......100% nothing to do with clarke/mcliesh/strachan/levein/burley/and any other fookwit in charge......we are utter shite and getting worse every year........the only blame that needs pointing at is the SFA slash suits the corrupt cants

I’m not sure what people want Clarke to do. Many of the players that played under Strachan are finished so we need to have a look at who’s coming through and basically who can handle it. If he doesn’t call up players then who will he play now the old lot are away?

The amount of players used is least of Scotland’s problems.

22 hours ago, purefitbaw said:

https://purefitbaw.com/2019/10/13/dour-and-defensive-steve-clarke-right-manager-at-the-wrong-time/

I wrote an article today about why Steve Clarke maybe needs to change his approach from the "Killie" way to maybe something a bit more positive. 

Would love any feedback or any thoughts!

Gary Caldwell on the radio after Russia saying we need to be more defensive and should use defensively minded players more often, and we need to get to a position where any defeats are restricted to being 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1. Being open against the technically gifted and physically stronger sides is not exactly going to help, is it?

Do you remember Craig Brown's sides?

Probably worked out well for Clarke that our last three games are against San Marino, Cyprus (that will be tough) and Kazakhstan. A few previous posters have suggested a lack of confidence and belief in team and they are spot on. By having these as our last 3 fixtures it gives us a real chance to build momentum towards the crunch play offs. If our last 2 games had been Belgium and Russia away then we would be in trouble.
Let's keep the faith for the moment, Clarke is a good manager.