vs San Marino

DA Baracus

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

One of my old man's favourite Scotland moments.

The other was Joe Jordan chasing the ball across the Czech back 4 and booting each one of them in turn.

Mark Connolly's old man = antipurist

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

It came up on the big screens at the end as 20,500 which all things considered is actually ok imho.

Presumably that was tickets sold, too  - I wonder how many went unused. Did it look 2/5 full?

Regardless of that it does neatly illustrate how bad crowds have fallen that scraping 20k for a weekend qualifier - even against a minnow - is better than feared. It's our second worst ever crowd for a qualifier at Hampden - indeed in all competitive games it's surpassed only by Albania in NL on a Monday night last season (17k), a Euro qualifier v Romania in 1990 (12k unless that's a mistake), and Home Nations games v Northern Ireland in 1983 (16k) and 1969 (7k).

Kazakhstan on a Tuesday in November could be interesting.

Edited by HibeeJibee

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

And sometimes it's just threatening...

Have you ever been to Glasgow, it's always threatening, no sometimes about it.

Enjoyable game last night, when I told my boy the score in the morning, his face was a delight..,.ssshh don't tell him San Marino are shit.

Guest Moomintroll
KFC?  Zinger of a post, hummus boy.
Weird that Stuart Findlay is the first ever Killie player to score a goal for Scotland in Scotland. You win this particular argument Kincy as I have no idea who this McClean character is.

3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Weird that Stuart Findlay is the first ever Killie player to score a goal for Scotland in Scotland. 

I believe that is incorrect. 

The original Alex Higgins scored a hat trick against Ireland at the original Hampden park in 1885.

32 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I believe that is incorrect. 

The original Alex Higgins scored a hat trick against Ireland at the original Hampden park in 1885.

it would appear so, this taken from one of our guys posts on kickback......

14th March 1885  (2nd Home International Championship)
SCOTLAND - IRELAND  8-2  (4-0)
Referee:   William Pierce Dix (England)
Crowd:     6.000, 1st Hampden Park, Glasgow
Goals:     1-0 Lamont (10), 2-0 Turner (12), 3-0 Calderwood (15), 4-0 Marshall (35), 5-0 Higgins (51), 
           6-0 Barbour (53), 7-0 Higgins (60), 8-0 Higgins (70), 8-1 Gibb (85), 8-2 Gibb (90)

SCOTLAND:
William Chalmers                     (1/Rangers) -
Hugh McHardy                         (1/Rangers)
James Bryden Niven                   (1/Moffat) -
Robert Robinson Kelso                (1/Renton)
John Campbell McLeod McPherson [c]   (8/Vale of Leven)
Alexander Barbour                    (1/Renton) -
John Marshall                        (1/3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers)
William Turner                       (1/Pollockshields Athletic)
Alexander (Sandy) Higgins            (1/Kilmarnock)
Robert Calderwood                    (1/Cartvale)
Walter Lamont                        (1/Pilgrims)

Guest Moomintroll
it would appear so, this taken from one of our guys posts on kickback......
14th March 1885  (2nd Home International Championship)SCOTLAND - IRELAND  8-2  (4-0)Referee:   William Pierce Dix (England)Crowd:     6.000, 1st Hampden Park, GlasgowGoals:     1-0 Lamont (10), 2-0 Turner (12), 3-0 Calderwood (15), 4-0 Marshall (35), 5-0 Higgins (51),           6-0 Barbour (53), 7-0 Higgins (60), 8-0 Higgins (70), 8-1 Gibb (85), 8-2 Gibb (90)SCOTLAND:William Chalmers                     (1/Rangers) -Hugh McHardy                         (1/Rangers)James Bryden Niven                   (1/Moffat) -Robert Robinson Kelso                (1/Renton)John Campbell McLeod McPherson [c]   (8/Vale of Leven)Alexander Barbour                    (1/Renton) -John Marshall                        (1/3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers)William Turner                       (1/Pollockshields Athletic)Alexander (Sandy) Higgins            (1/Kilmarnock)Robert Calderwood                    (1/Cartvale)Walter Lamont                        (1/Pilgrims)

I stand corrected then.

McSauce was brilliant it has to be said, honestly the dark rainy night like these have to be ours at Hampden, no matter who we're playing. Made that look easy tbh, get the bad run behind us now get them here and that. Not actually seen the highlights or any of it yet but good to see McGinn picking up a hat trick, now some centre backs please 😂🤣

9 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
20 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:
KFC?  Zinger of a post, hummus boy.

You win this particular argument Kincy as I have no idea who this McClean character is.

You have to blame @jagfox99for the misspelling of your former player's name, M77.

I met wee Tam in 1971 just before he signed for The Rangers.  Ross Mathie was a former officer of 13th Motherwell Boys Brigade and he came to a sports night we had and Tommy was in tow.  Tremendous evening but little did we know that signing for Rangers would put the mockers on his Scotland career.

Imagine one of the best wingers of our generation, a European cup winner yet not getting picked for the national squad based on who he played for?  That's the tragedy of Tam McLean...

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You have to blame @jagfox99for the misspelling of your former player's name, M77.

I met wee Tam in 1971 just before he signed for The Rangers.  Ross Mathie was a former officer of 13th Motherwell Boys Brigade and he came to a sports night we had and Tommy was in tow.  Tremendous evening but little did we know that signing for Rangers would put the mockers on his Scotland career.

Imagine one of the best wingers of our generation, a European cup winner yet not getting picked for the national squad based on who he played for?  That's the tragedy of Tam McLean...

Being serious, he wasn't good enough to be ahead of others available at that time; a time when wearing a Rangers jersey meant you were a shoe in to get a game.  Bomber, anyone?

Crocker’s introduction of the name McGinniesta is surely his sole positive contribution in over ten years of ruining Scotland games???

Last night was the first night in over 10 years that I turned the tv down and synced the tv with radio. Co incidence. I think not. We qualify for the next tournament when everyone follows my lead!! Crocker and Provan GTF!! X

11 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Was Shankland the first Scottish lower league player to  score for the national team.

Far from it...

John White scored on his debut in a friendly v West Germany at end of 1958-59 and again v Northern Ireland in Home Nations following autumn while with Falkirk - in old Division Two.

Bobby Flavell scored twice in a friendly v Luxembourg at end of 1946-47 while with Airdrie - ditto.

David Duncan scored on his debut in a friendly v Belgium in 1947-47 while with East Fife - ditto.

Tommy Ring scored v England in Home Nations in 1956-57 while with Clyde - ditto.

Stevie Crawford scored on his debut in a friendly v Ecuador (in Kirin Cup) at end of 1994-95 while with Raith - SFL1.

Haven't bothered looking at Victorian times, or recent years i.e. Rangers/Hearts/Hibs (of course Ian Black was capped from tier 4!).

Edited by HibeeJibee

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Tommy McLean won the European Cup?!

I'd have thought the real tragedy of Tam McLean was probably spending Christmases with Jim.  I mean, imagine that FFS.