Our Mobile App

A few years ago we launched our Mobile App. That was at a time when the mobile browser version of the forum software we use was very limited.

Our App is basically a rebranded version of the "Tapatalk" application using a service called BYO (Build Your Own).

We pay a monthly fee for that service, and Tapatalk look after the app for us and push updates out to the Google Play and Apple App Stores.

Recently Tapatalk announced that, for a number of reasons, the BYO service is being withdrawn and will no longer be updated. They will still work, but they won't be bug fixed or enhanced in any way going forward.

So, the App we currently have today is the one we need to put up with, bugs and all, for now.

That's the bad news.

The good news, hopefully, is that the forum guys are now close to releasing their own App that plugs into the community. You can read more here if you are really interested;

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/invision-community-apps-for-ios-android-r1161/

As soon as that App has been released and they've ironed out the inevitable bugs the plan will be to withdraw our TapaTalk apps and move to that platform.

Hopefully that will be before the end of the year. I'll keep you posted as and when things are going to change.

33 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Can we suggest features/improvements for the app?

The new App will be an off the shelf product.

There is a route to suggest new features via the customer forum bit on the IPB (the company who create the forum software and who will be publishing the new app) so if there is something everyone is screaming for we can channel it back through that but end of the day this isn't something that is being specifically built just for us.

You can always use the mobile version of the site, it's then virtually the exact same experience as using it on the desktop.

1 hour ago, Div said:

The new App will be an off the shelf product.

There is a route to suggest new features via the customer forum bit on the IPB (the company who create the forum software and who will be publishing the new app) so if there is something everyone is screaming for we can channel it back through that but end of the day this isn't something that is being specifically built just for us.

You can always use the mobile version of the site, it's then virtually the exact same experience as using it on the desktop.

Any chance you can pick an off the shelf product that works on a Saturday afternoon and into the early evening?

TIA.

Just now, Dindeleux said:

Any chance you can pick an off the shelf product that works on a Saturday afternoon and into the early evening?

TIA.

I actually suspect the app is part of the reason we have had issues during peak traffic times but it's hard to prove that this is the source.

Don't think we've had any issues for a few weeks now anyway, but we're paying a third party company now to monitor the site 24x7 so if there are any issues they should be quick to sort.

Although everyone likes to think I deliberately switch the site off every Saturday night, it's not actually true.

The main reason nothing used to get fixed very quickly on a Saturday was because I was most likely in the pub or traveling back from a game. Hopefully I've eliminated that as an issue with this new support agreement.

So there's a serious response to your cheeky post, you cunt.

10 minutes ago, Div said:

I actually suspect the app is part of the reason we have had issues during peak traffic times but it's hard to prove that this is the source.

Don't think we've had any issues for a few weeks now anyway, but we're paying a third party company now to monitor the site 24x7 so if there are any issues they should be quick to sort.

Although everyone likes to think I deliberately switch the site off every Saturday night, it's not actually true.

The main reason nothing used to get fixed very quickly on a Saturday was because I was most likely in the pub or traveling back from a game. Hopefully I've eliminated that as an issue with this new support agreement.

So there's a serious response to your cheeky post, you c**t.

Thanks dear leader.

PS - Site was down around 4pm on Saturday just gone.

Edited by Dindeleux

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/11/2019 at 23:14, Eednud said:

So how is the new app going as I’ve started to get annoying ads on the iOS app?

IMG_6249.jpg

Yeah that is a bit naughty of the app folk as we have zero control over that. Having pulled the app from support they are now telling us that they will show ads on it (and take all the revenue from that).

So you have three choices;

1) Download and use the Tapatalk app and connect to our forum that way. There is a premium version of that which you pay for I think and that has no ads.

2) Use the mobile version of our forum using your mobile browser - that will also show ads but they shouldn't be too bad on mobile.

3) Do (2) but take out a Platinum Members Subscription and you'll see no ads when browsing the forum

Yeah that is a bit naughty of the app folk as we have zero control over that. Having pulled the app from support they are now telling us that they will show ads on it (and take all the revenue from that).
1) Download and use the Tapatalk app and connect to our forum that way. There is a premium version of that which you pay for I think and that has no ads.
2) Use the mobile version of our forum using your mobile browser - that will also show ads but they shouldn't be too bad on mobile.
3) Do (2) but take out a Platinum Members Subscription and you'll see no ads when browsing the forum

Thanks and hope you’ve told them what a bunch of c***s they are. I don’t have 3 choices as I’m already Platinum Member.

16 hours ago, Eednud said:

Thanks and hope you’ve told them what a bunch of c***s they are. I don’t have 3 choices as I’m already Platinum Member.

Yeah the ads they are putting on the app ignore the Platinum membership unfortunately.

Mobile version your best bet mate, it’s better than the app anyway!

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah the ads they are putting on the app ignore the Platinum membership unfortunately.

Mobile version your best bet mate, it’s better than the app anyway!

Thanks. I've been using the mobile version on iPad but don't like using it so much on iPhone but that's just me.    Merry Christmas. 

• 4 weeks later...
4) Get an Android phone.

• 2 months later...
On 09/10/2019 at 12:03, Div said:

A few years ago we launched our Mobile App. That was at a time when the mobile browser version of the forum software we use was very limited.

Our App is basically a rebranded version of the "Tapatalk" application using a service called BYO (Build Your Own).

We pay a monthly fee for that service, and Tapatalk look after the app for us and push updates out to the Google Play and Apple App Stores.

Recently Tapatalk announced that, for a number of reasons, the BYO service is being withdrawn and will no longer be updated. They will still work, but they won't be bug fixed or enhanced in any way going forward.

So, the App we currently have today is the one we need to put up with, bugs and all, for now.

That's the bad news.

The good news, hopefully, is that the forum guys are now close to releasing their own App that plugs into the community. You can read more here if you are really interested;

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/invision-community-apps-for-ios-android-r1161/

As soon as that App has been released and they've ironed out the inevitable bugs the plan will be to withdraw our TapaTalk apps and move to that platform.

Hopefully that will be before the end of the year. I'll keep you posted as and when things are going to change.

Dear Div,

I deleted the app today (Apple) as it was, and I believe this the technical jargon, fucking aboot. Went to download it again but I don’t see it available when I search on the iPhone? 

Just now, NJ2 said:

Dear Div,

I deleted the app today (Apple) as it was, and I believe this the technical jargon, fucking aboot. Went to download it again but I don’t see it available when I search on the iPhone? 

Our own app has been withdrawn I'm afraid, it is no longer available in the app stores.

Search for "Tapatalk" and download that in the meantime. It can be used to connect to our form in the meantime whilst we are waiting on the new forum app being launched. That unfortunately is going to be delayed.

The Tapatalk app is basically the exact same as the one we previously had, but it will have their adverts on it (not ours) if you use the free one.

Or you can just use the mobile version of our forum using your normal browser on your phone (Safari, Chrome, Firefox etc.....)