Worst places in UK (not in Scotland)

1 hour ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Corby. 

Referred to as “Little Scotland” and not because it has wonderful scenery, more that it’s full of smackheads, h*ns and jakeys. 

Recently given the award of the suicide capital of Britain. 

That's a strange place. Similar to Dunedin in New Zealand in that there are people running about with Scottish twangs that have never been to Scotland in their lives. 

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Aye the Harrods ones are unreal. I like the one with a lady using the wheelchair for her shopping

I'm going through that right now and there's one where a woman is reading a copy of the Metro

Not sure most of the people featured used public transport to get there

Ed - I realised what happened. The 'Age of Wealth' collection is a bunch of pictures of bus windows in Glasgow, and there's pictures from there included in the Harrods one.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

No one been to Whitehaven then? Absolute dive. Makes Workington seem respectable.

Used to go there every other week as my company had some business in the Alcan Packaging plant there.  Never stayed overnight though but it was a bleak location.  

The aforementioned west Cumbrian towns like Maryport, Egremont, Cleator Moor, Workington, Whitehaven, Frizington look like pretty shite places to live. I used to be down there on average once a week for about 5 years with work for at least a day but usually an overnighter. Nice countryside inbetween the towns and villages but the places themselves don't look overly appealing. 

Due to some of these places being relatively isolated and a bit of a distance to the next town or village I sometimes got a small town mentality"We don't like your type round here" vibe off of the locals. I suspect being Scottish played a part in this.

They absolutely love a St George's Cross hanging from a window or on some street bunting.

Much like most of the other places mentioned they could be fantastic communities to live in but I'd rather not  have to find out for myself tbqhwy. 

I woke up in Whitehaven on the morning that the guy went on his mass killing spree a few years back. Looking at the timeline of the shootings showed that I must've been within a few hundred metres of him at one point as he was taking random pop-shots at pedestrians and vehicles. Quite literally, IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME!!!1!!1!

19 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Corby. 

Referred to as “Little Scotland” and not because it has wonderful scenery, more that it’s full of smackheads, h*ns and jakeys. 

Recently given the award of the suicide capital of Britain. 

This. 

It's horrible. 

I stayed in Bristol for 4 years in the late 1980s. I can't say I was made to feel overly welcome for the most part by the native English. I used to mostly hang out with other migrant workers. In saying that, Bristol seems to have become more liberal in recent years, strongly voting remain in the Brexit debacle and it always had potential as a cultural location. There was a thriving, slightly underground soul music scene, the Western Star Domino Club was fantastic on a Friday night, where you also got a glimpse of the young black kids celebrating the hip hop stuff that was on the rise.

I realise that I seem to be bigging the place up, but there was a lot of anti-Scottish sentiment I had to deal with at the time. Glad to see Bristol appears to have moved on though...

Edited by Angusfifer

Mate of mine from Bristol originally, moved up here  with his parents when he was about 12 or so, told me that the St Paul's estate is the easiest place in the UK to get smack and has the highest recorded % of heroin addicts in Europe. 

19 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

I lived in Middlesbrough for a year, and therefore understand why many old boys would never talk of what they saw in the war.

A couple of well known posters on here used to ‘support’ Middlesbrough called them ‘we’ etc. They have turned to other recreational activities in their spare time with out reason given. I guess this might explain why. 

Nearby Rochester is grim too.
My folks used to live in a village between the Medway towns and Gravesend and believe me, it's accurately named. Rochester etc are idyllic pastoral market towns in comparison.

7 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

A couple of well known posters on here used to ‘support’ Middlesbrough called them ‘we’ etc. They have turned to other recreational activities in their spare time with out reason given. I guess this might explain why. 

My alarm bells started ringing when I saw a pub with a stained glass Graeme Souness window.