Worst places in UK (not in Scotland)

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Hartlepool

Top tip. Next time you meet someone from Hartlepool, ask them to tell you why they're called Monkey Hangers. They'll probably hit you but it'll be worth it if you get to hear the story.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Top tip. Next time you meet someone from Hartlepool, ask them to tell you why they're called Monkey Hangers. They'll probably hit you but it'll be worth it if you get to hear the story.

In fairness, it happened over 200years ago. We still have Muppets marching up and down the streets in honour of a battle that took place over 300years ago!

• 2 weeks later...
That was one good thing about Preston when I was down there. The pubs are pretty cheap. I found some Samuel Smith place that was £2 a pint. The numerous kebab shops were also of a decent standard and far cheaper than I'm used to up here.
Stayed over in Preston a few times on the way to/from Manchester/East Midlands airports - tbh it wasn't that bad - boozers were good - a lot more welcoming than some I've encountered in Dundee.

On 08/10/2019 at 11:48, LondonHMFC said:

Yeah, you are quite correct. The Lanes are lovely for a walk round, and there are plenty of decent boozers. Like most seaside towns/cities, in the summer it is an excellent place to have a weekend. 

Unfortunately the level of homelessness has gone up over the past few years, it's not uncommon to see someone with a needle hanging out of their arm in a doorway. In the winter Brighton can be an incredibly depressing place to be. Milky Gem helps out at a homeless shelter in the city every Sunday, she has said over the past couple of years, the increase has been ridiculous. Drug abuse is a major issue. BBC Three did a documentary a few months back on girls living rough in Brighton, and most suffered with some form of substance abuse.

Whilst crime figures went down last year, Brighton is still above the English average. Knife crime has also increased in the past few years (then again, seems to be the case everywhere). 

A long time ago I used to live in Moulescoomb.

When you told people in Brighton where you were from they reacted in complete horror, in their eyes it was akin to the South Bronx, but since I'm from a former mining village in Lanarkshire it was probably a step up from where I originated from.

There certainly didn't seem to be the same level of casual violence, rampant alcoholism and drug abuse that I was used to back home. 

In fact it's grimness was more that it was completely fucking boring and nothing happened.  If only something as exciting as having a Buckie bottle lobbed at your head by a group of youths or a screaming man in a shell suit pull a hammer on you had actually occurred down there.  At least that's a form of life, a kind of an excitement that lends a little energy to life.

In fact it's grimness was more that it was completely fucking boring and nothing happened.  If only something as exciting as having a Buckie bottle lobbed at your head by a group of youths or a screaming man in a shell suit pull a hammer on you had actually occurred down there.  At least that's a form of life, a kind of an excitement that lends a little energy to life.

I completely understand. I used to live in Finland which has a high standard of living but is soulless and robotic to the point where it makes Denmark seem an exciting place to live.
I once flew back from Finland to visit my parents in Possil and the sight of a jakey on the verge of tears as the newsagent wouldn't sell him Bucky before 10am was a truly heartwarming sight.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:32, mathematics said:

Pontypridd, Merthyr Tydfil, Bristol.

I was in all these places a couple of weeks back, on a kind of UK tour that took me to many points between Aberdeen and Saltash (in Cornwall, but a suburb of Plymouth).

Merthyr Tydfil, town and surrounding county is dire - I drove past the Aberfan memorial garden, and then up through the valley where semi-derelict rows of terraced housing, and the odd ropy looking newsagent, takeway or tanning shop is the norm.

Still, something about S.Wales and its heritage that means you kind of expect it to be like that.

Bristol is okay - Clifton up by the famous suspension bridge is the Chelsea of the SW and full of expensive properties, bistros and tossers - other parts full of liberal types demonstrating about climate change, plight of the Kurds etc............but there's a nice enough vibe there, but it has some suburbs that are brutal apparently.

Milton Keynes depressed me, despite Bletchley Park being worth a visit - the road from there to Bristol is the most Tory drive you can do - Buckingham, Chipping Norton, Stow on the Wold, Tetbury...........real barbour jacket, swing low, sweet chariot territory.

Work has taken me all over the UK - some places are generically bad and hard to choose from -but the worst of the lot must still be Scunthorpe - a place with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Edited by tarapoa

When you told people in Brighton where you were from they reacted in complete horror, in their eyes it was akin to the South Bronx, but since I'm from a former mining village in Lanarkshire it was probably a step up from where I originated from.
There certainly didn't seem to be the same level of casual violence, rampant alcoholism and drug abuse that I was used to back home. 

I agree, lived in Brighton in the late 90s(Preston Park area). The way some of the locals I worked with would talked about Moulescoomb and Whitehawk made me wonder what they would think if they were to visit some of the lovely ex mining communities in Fife.
I suppose that their point of comparison was Hove ‘actually’.

• 3 months later...

One of the most notorious murder cases in many years happened there - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babes_in_the_Wood_murders_(Wild_Park)

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’m off to Cardiff tomorrow afternoon. Is it a shithole? I’m only there until Thursday.

If it's not a shithole before you go it will be by the time you leave...