First Quarter Report

Well that’s 9 games in no prizes given out in early October. How do you think your team is doing and how do you see the league planning out as that’s all the teams played each other. Obviously from an East Fife point of view to be the only unbeaten team left in Scotland is a fantastic achievement. The poor finish to last season was a bit frustrating. When we retained nearly all the same players I was a bit concerned for our prospects this season, when we lost our first competitive game at Central Park it looked like we could be in for a long season. All credit to the management and players they have played some great football in our unbeaten run. The only real change in personal was the signing of Ryan Wallace and he has been different class since coming back to the Fife. Only dissapointing thing from our point is drawing 3 home games to Peterhead, Dumbarton and Stranraer, when we have had the bulk of play and chances. Also in these games  we have conceded avoidable goals. There is no easy games and like yesterday you might not get to play how you want. You can’t just turn up for the big games you have to be at it every game. Over the course of 36 games we’ll find it hard to keep up with Raith and Falkirk but to be honest in one of games well be able to give them a game. A long long way to go , but over 36 games Raith and Falkirk should slog it out for the title.. Most teams down the bottom half have all had decent results in some games and every team on their day is capable of beating any team in the league. Just look at the outstanding 2nd half performance from Stranraer yesterday East Fife barely got a kick of the ball . They still found themselves bottom at 4 45.

Despite yesterdays setback I feel we've turned the corner after a tough start. Missed games against Raith and Peterhead so cant comment on them but reckon our points tally is about right on the balance of play from the games I have seen apart from Forfar away where we should've won. Injuries have already turned up in their numbers for us too meaning we've had a sparse bench in recent weeks. A shame we'll probably not see a fully fit squad to choose from all season but if we can avoid any long term injuries to key players I like to think we'll be clear of any danger with a possible shout of the final play off spot if the division remains tight.

On opposition teams, I was most impressed by Montrose and least impressed by Falkirk which looking at the league table might sound surprising then again I'm only going on their performances against us. Airdrie and Forfar were alright but looking at their squads expected them to be better. The opposite for Dumbarton who I expected to be pish but were alright and have picked up some good results so far. Stranraer were a rabble. Can't really remember much about East Fife on the opening day tbh.

Edited by C. Muir

W4D2L3 and with 14 points but negative GD, I think we probably have been "alright". Our manger thinks we have been OK but it has hardly been entertaining stuff. He has a tendency to tinker and change formations often during games. We have not lost if we score first so a more attacking edge might help. I missed the first game against Forfar but as the other posters have said ,there is not a lot between most of the PT teams ; the quality of the PT/Hybrid is not all that much better and only East Fife have thumped us, but then toil against others.  Whilst Arbroath were out in front deservedly last season and stayed there I doubt if the current leaders will do that.  We have had good halves against Dumbarton and Clyde which won us three points but the other games could have been reversed (except Methil) . Expect us to be in play off chase yet again but it could be at either end! Montrose next up so can we stop their winning moves ?

Our first quarter has been divided into pre-Steven Anderson and Rovers with Steven Anderson.

We started with an unassuming performance away to Dumbarton with both teams not really impressing. We then utterly tanked Clyde at home, before chucking away a 2-1 lead to Stranraer. We left it late against Montrose before getting massacred in Methil. 

In comes Steven Anderson and we switch to a 3-5-2 with Anderson, Benedictus and Davidson in defence, and Miller and McDonald going to wing backs. We hammered Peterhead, before picking up our first back to back away wins (and three wins on the bounce) against Airdrie and Forfar respectively. We got pumped in the first half against Falkirk yet almost came away with a win but for a goal line clearance from Michael Doyle. 

We've 6 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses which is better than last season. 

Our defence has looked far more assured (first 50 minutes of yesterday aside) since Anderson came in. He'll talk our defence through the game and is a colossus at the back while adding a threat at attacking set pieces. 

Aside from that, our recruitment has generally been spot on. Aside from Mendy, Victoria (who has suffered numerous injuries) and Allan (who it's safe to say has more detractors than fans), we're looking a lot more well rounded. There's a lot of football still to be played, but we've got rid of players who had rotten attitudes (Nathan Flanagan), weren't fit enough (Nat Wedderburn) or would show up for one game then disappear for four (Grant Gillespie). Spencer and Miller have been revelations and Regan Hendry has been sublime so far.

We've added Baird, Armstrong and Gullan who all add a direct threat going forwards. Even the likes of Bowie (who already has a few league goals to his name having just turned 17) and Tait have staked a claim for a place.  Losing Vaughan is tough, but we've got a lot more depth this season and aren't relying on one player.

Compared to this time last season, it's day and night. We usually collapse once the clocks go back so the fear is still there.  Without going all 'Good feeling at Cappielow' on us, it feels like we're moving in the right direction after the last few years. With that said, we'll probably see a couple of more ACL injuries before long. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

Most surprised by: Falkirk...a team of individuals on a rudderless ship, for now.

Most impressed by: East Fife...hitting on all cylinders, but what happens as the niggling injuries occur?

Best coach: Would  have clearly been Darren Young through 5 or 6 games, but John McGlynn is close, and Jim Duffy’s work is nice too.

Worst coach: Ray McKinnon

Most disappointing: Forfar seem to have lost their way.

Most likely to finish 10th: Montrose, surprisingly enough.

Most likely to finish 9th: Peterhead

Most likely to make promotion/playoffs: (In no order) Dumbarton, East Fife, Falkirk, Raith Rovers

Chances any of this is correct in January...nil.

Edited by TxRover

Absolutely fucking delighted with our first quarter.  After two fixtures (and the shambolic Betfred Cup games) I think we all feared a Brechin-esque shitfest of a season, but ever since we came back from 2-0 at Peterhead we've actually looked like a decent enough side. We've had some interviews with the players on the website and they say how together the dressing room is and I wonder if the weeks of "Dumbarton look a sorry mess" comments during that pre-season run have brought the players a bit closer together and a bit more determined. 

From what I've seen of every other team, 4th place is achievable. However, for Dumbarton to reach that position at the end of the season we need to be extremely lucky with injuries - if Isaac Layne gets injured our attacking threat looks severely weakened (and that's with the knowledge that Isaac Layne isn't exactly the best striker in the league to begin with). PJ Crossan and Adam Frizzell will cause people problems, but again if they pick up injuries we're struggling.

I'm happy that we look better than about half of the league, and I'm happy that we've competed with everyone bar Falkirk so far. Keep it going is my only advice.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Best coach: Would  have clearly been Darren Young through 5 or 6 games

In some fucked up parallel universe, maybe. Of the teams in the top 5 I'd rank Young above McKinnon and that's it.

Decent first quarter if not great. Dropped silly points down at Stranraer after getting the lead back. Sando seems to have helped the back sort themselves out and stop shipping silly goal unless it’s Davo. JM got it wrong against Falkirk but turned it around second half so hopefully he doesn’t repeat that mistake. East Fife have been the biggest surprise for me and time will tell if they can keep pace or if injuries will hamper them. Still fancy it’ll be Rovers v Falkirk for the title this season but both teams look like they’ll drop points along the way. Playoff final would be a beauty if it was Rovers/Falkirk v Pars.

Overall I’d give us a C+

22 hours ago, TxRover said:

Most likely to make promotion/playoffs: (In no order) Dumbarton, East Fife, Falkirk, Raith Rovers

Chances any of this is correct in January...nil.

I think you might have it right with the last three but I would expect a bit of a fight for fourth where I can see Airdrie grinding It out. If January produces much of a difference in your prediction it will be over the 4th spot , but like you I rarely get it correct.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I think you might have it right with the last three but I would expect a bit of a fight for fourth where I can see Airdrie grinding It out. If January produces much of a difference in your prediction it will be over the 4th spot , but like you I rarely get it correct.

Airdrie is definitely the other 4th place contender, in my mind. It just feels like Duffy has put it together for now, and I’m not sure Airdrie have the endurance over the whole season.

Obviously a disappointing first quarter for the Mo however i could have predicted it once we were aware of the fixtures and also with the injuries we had to key players.

We have now won our last two games and the team looks a lot more confident. SP looks now to have a fair idea of who is best team is.

I fully expect us to do a lot better in the next quarter and pick up more points. Wont be long until we have climbed right up that table.

I think the team that can be most satisfied with the first quarter is Dumbarton. In their first match they could barely kick a ball but they have turned things around dramatically, well done to them. Most disappointed with Stranraer, but they have had injury problems to cope with.

As for Falkirk, bitterly disappointed with more than half the matches we have played. The Forfar and Stranraer games were like training games, Peterheed, Clyde, Aidrie and East Fife were woeful. First half v Raith was good, then Ray had a breakdown or something and we didn't turn up 2nd half.

Like most people I think it is a race between FFC and Raith, although EF are unbeaten I have a feeling they will fall away when injuries and the conditions that winter games usually have take their toll.

Falkirk, for me, are rated no better than 'okay' for the 1st quarter, it could be better but it could also be worse. There is a long way to go, even though I don't think Ray is a good manager, I think he will just get us over the winning line to the title, probably after bringing in a few new faces (yet again) in the January window.

So first quarter, hats off to Dumbarton, and Falkirk are doing 'okay'.

Three wins, three draws and three defeats. I think that sums up where we are; capable of high energy, technical performances, but also capable of struggling badly if our main gameplan is nullified. We rely on our midfield to stop our defence from having to defend. Based on what I've seen, I'd probably have us in fifth place come the end of the season, but Goodwillie is more than capable of carrying us higher.

I'd say that those 9 games have been thoroughly enjoyable though compared to where we've been the last 10 years. Bigger crowds, better atmospheres, and players on other teams to be genuinely scared of. The Falkirk game (for Clyde fans) was an absolute cracker, in front of 2400 people.

Found my old template from when I used to start this threads last year, so I'll just use that so I don't bore you all to tears with 1,500 words on Dumbarton's nine games so far.

Best Player at your club

It's a toss up for me at the moment between Joe McKee and Reghan Tumilty. McKee has got a host of assists so far and we looked a far poorer team without him against Airdrieonians. It's not that anything about him stands out, he's just been a really good all rounder so far. His dead ball delivery is excellent, he's got a good eye for a pass, his decision making is good, he doesn't get involved in daft stuff, he works hard and defensively can do a job. If I had one criticism it would be that he's still to score for us, but given the amount he's set up I can't really grumble about that. Reghan Tumilty runs him very, very close though - and I've no doubt at all he'd improve a Morton side who appear to be a bit of a clown school defensively. If he'd been named as Man of the Match in every game he's played for us so far I don't think there would've been too many objections.

Worst Player at your club

Hmm...I had feared there'd be loads of options for this, but I think I've narrowed it down. Lewis Crawford has struggled, but he doesn't hide and is playing a level that's maybe a bit beyond him at the moment, so I'll exempt him. That leaves us with Mati Zata and Jordan McMillan. Lets start with Zata, he's not been seen on the pitch since the final minutes of the Peterhead game in August and is probably mighty relieved about that. He's the only player I've ever seen who actively avoids going near the ball. We timed him against Motherwell and he went for over half-an-hour without touching the ball before firing a volley from the edge of the box over his own crossbar. I can accept players who aren't very good, but ones who hide do my head in. I suspect he'll be punted come January. McMillan meanwhile also hasn't been seen in ages given he can play about one game in two months without getting injured. When he has played he hasn't hidden to be fair to him, he's just looked absolutely raging, rash and hyper-aggressive. I fear that a number of years out of senior football have finished him off.

Manager(s) at your club Rating

You know what? I can't really fault Duffy at all at this moment in time. I thought our recruitment looked like relegation fodder stuff, but he's got them producing some good stuff. We're still too light in terms of strikers, but he's sorted the team out otherwise and they're playing for him. 8/10.

Best Signing of the summer at your club?

Reghan Tumilty - sorted an area where we were seriously weak.

Worst Signing at your club

Meh pick one of McMillan or Zata again. The only positive I have is that I doubt we chucked big money at them like previous worst signings.

Most Improved Player at your club

Morgyn Neill started the season looked like an extremely handsome bombscare. Since then he's had his teeth knocked out, which has cost him looks points, but has started to look like a really solid big defender. His performance alongside Ryan McGeever in the 6-1 game at Cappielow was utterly harrowing stuff that still comes to me in the night - but since then the two of them have looked good together, whilst Neill's performance on Saturday was absolutely sensational. I just wish he'd stop pumping the ball down the line to absolutely nobody as much.

Who's winning the League?

Falkirk will surely punt McKinnon and appoint someone (anyone...) who can take that squad up, won't they?

Who's making the playoffs?

Raith - I've been surprised by how good they look, some of their late window signings look fantastic business - S.Anderson and Daniel Armstrong especially, whilst they've got a nice blend between players from a decade ago, and young guns like Regan Hendry, Jamie Gullan and Mikey Miller.
East Fife - Seem to be great when they aren't playing us (copy and pasted from last year...Although they did look good against us for once last month)
Clyde - I was really, really impressed by Clyde when they Rocked up at the C&G the other week. Played some lovely football, have a fantastic central-midfield pairing and a guaranteed source of goals.

Who's finishing 9th?

Peterhead - They just seem a bit uninspiring?

Who's going down?

Stranraer - You never tip Stranraer for relegation...But this season feels a stretch. They don't have a lot of squad depth and looked pretty poor against us early in the season. Feel like the league will be very tight - but they just won't have enough.

Best player in the league?

Oh...See I'm actually struggling here. So let me list a few of my favourites: Michael Tidser has been a guy I've admired for years, the same goes for Charlie Telfer who I have a massive soft spot for. He's just the sort of player I love. So neat and tidy. Then there's David Goodwillie who wouldn't be playing at this level if it wasn't for obvious reasons, Steven Anderson who is as solid an old-fashioned centre-half as you'll get, Regan Hendry who I was shocked to see back at Raith Rovers and the outstanding Lewis Vaughan...Who just has no luck at all.

Highlight so far of the season…

I'm going to go with our comeback victory against Peterhead. Just when you lose all hope football has a funny way of keeping you hooked. That was a great day out.

Lowlight...

Falkirk. 6-0. Need I say more?

Edited by Jan Vojáček

I dont think Falkirk will be top come the halfway point. I think Raith are beginning to find their feet, and an effective system. I do however think Raith and Falkirk will be clear of the pack at the top after game 18.

I'm relatively happy with how east fife have started. There are a few games we could look at as opportunities wasted to take all three points, but we have strikers who are capable, a midfield that is as strong as any i have seen at Bayview in recent times, and a defence that is gelling nicely. As many have said, the injury/ suspension situation will have an influence on our season, but outside of Falkirk, i think that can be said for all the other teams in the league.

I am most impressed with Dumbarton if i am being honest. From the outside looking in, i thought Duffy had a tough gig at the start of the year, as dumbarton looked like they were taking a while to pull a squad together. When Falkirk ran riot early doors, i reckoned they were doomed to a relegation scrap, but they seem to have regrouped and they are only a point outside the playoffs.

Based off the post from JV:

Best player at your club?

In terms of footballing ability, Regan Hendry is miles ahead of anyone else I've seen in the league. 

Could easily put Steven Anderson fact he's turned our defence, and team, right around. Natural leader and machine in defence.

Worst player at your club?

Fernandy Mendy, which is a shame as he's an absolute riot of a lad who everyone wants to succeed. Even though he's had a few shockers you'll see him bouncing about joking around and being a class act. 

Manager at your club rating?

7/10: Doing brilliant with limited resources, but we've dropped silly points away to Stranraer and East Fife with comical errors at the back. 

Best Signing of the Summer?

It's got to be one of Henry, Spencer or Miller. At the moment I'd suggest Miller might edge this as he's been incredible and chipped in with a decent number of goals from right back. 

Worst Signing at your club?

Again, probably Mendy for this one. He was signed as an option for the first team but hasn't met the standard. 

Most Improved player at your club?

Can we put Kieron Bowie? By all accounts he looked lost at Montrose last season when he came on, but over the Summer he's morphed into a confident goalscorer. By his 17th birthday he'd scored 3 goals for us in just over ten starts. He's developing into a real prospect, and while he might struggle to get game time with Baird coming in, he's still very much an option. It wouldn't surprise me if next season he's causing defences a lot more problems. 

Who's winning the league?

Falkirk simply based on them being awful but keep grinding out points. Could well be ourselves though if we don't get our usual 3 ACL injuries and horrible winter. 

Raith, East Fife and Clyde

Who's finishing 9th?

Montrose

Who's going down?

Stranraer

Regan Hendry. 

Highlight so far

John McGlynn's autumn transfer dealings. Gullan was decent, then we brought in Anderson who changed our team dynamic. Baird added depth, and if Armstrong gets back to the form he was in at the end of last year we'll be very difficult to stop. 

Lowlight

Going 2-1 up away to Stranraer only to lose 3-2. Peak away Rovers. 

20 hours ago, TxRover said:

Airdrie is definitely the other 4th place contender, in my mind. It just feels like Duffy has put it together for now, and I’m not sure Airdrie have the endurance over the whole season.

Endurance is the essence of supporting Airdrie but time will tell if our win at Dumbarton is a sign that Murray has edge over Duffy. We will return to this no doubt in 9 games time.

Have to say the first quarter has gone very well. The general consensus on here pre-season was that East Fife would be what they've more or less been for the last two seasons. Pretty solidly mid-table. Probably a bit too good to get pulled into the relegation scrap, probably not good enough to get into the top 4. I think that was probably a fair expectation. So for me, our aim has got to be to do better than that and get a play-off place. 15 points per quarter is a good target for that. I think 58 points is the most any 5th placed team has got in L1 since the play-offs were introduced and usually you're looking at the high 40s to mid 50s type range. So 17 points from the first quarter puts us well on track.

Good points: We're undefeated. We've come from behind numerous times. Because of the attitude and ability to keep going and get goals, we look like a tough team to beat. We're playing very well. I'd say we've been reasonably comfortably the better team across the 90 in seven of our nine games. Only the last two away to Falkirk and home to Stranraer were overall pretty even. So I don't think we've picked up any bits of luck or received any points we didn't deserve. Which gives me a bit of confidence that we can keep this going. Teams can get in decent positions early on by scraping a few wins together but that suggests you'll drop when your luck runs out.

Bad points: Not many really. If I'm being nit picky, draws at home to Peterhead, Dumbarton and Stranraer were disappointing. It's unrealistic to win every game and we had a bit of an off day against Stranraer so can accept getting a point there. Against Peterhead and Dumbarton, we were well on top for long spells but ended up having to fight back to get a draw in both games. I think there's a question mark about our ability to "win ugly" in games where we will be favourites and teams may set out to frustrate us.

Best Player at your club

There's a fair few good shouts. I'd go for Chris Higgins so far. closely followed by Scott Agnew and Ryan Wallace. Higgins has just oozed class this season. Calm, good on the ball, rarely losses headers or tackles, rarely seems to get flustered.

Genuinely don't think anyone stands out as being 'worst'.

I really like Darren Young. It's not been immediate but I think he's put together a good squad capable of playing the type of football he wants them to play effectively. 8/10

Ryan Wallace - Linked up superbly with Dowds up front. Really gave us something we've been missing the last year or two.

Again, don't really think I could point at any signing as being bad.

Easily Chris Higgins. It seems laughable that only a few months ago I was having serious reservations about going into a season with him as a fist choice centre half.

Still think Falkirk. For all the tears and snotters down Grangemouth way, they're tucked in right behind the leaders and you've got to imagine they've got a bit more in the tank than they've shown so far. If they can figure out how to break teams down instead of waiting for them to come out fighting all Marquis of Queensbury style, they'll pull ahead at some point.

Raith Rovers - Good team they've got there. Anderson seems to have kicked that honking defence into shape which was always the thing holding them back.
East Fife - We're not going to f**k it up this time
Dumbarton - Really could be anyone from Dumbarton, Airdrie, Clyde or Forfar for me (I think they'll turn around their disappointing start). Duffy seems to have worked the old loan magic again and brought in some really handy players to augment what turned out to be a much better team than it looked like back in July.

Who's finishing 9th?

Peterhead - Uninspiring was the description above and I'd go with that.

Who's going down?

Stranraer - Feels wrong after watching the way they played against us on Saturday. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they went on a run and finished mid table but I can't think of anyone else tbh.

Based on what i've seen Morgaro Gomis. The clear stand out in a Falkirk team filled with good players, by L1 standard.

Probably the derby win against Raith. Coming from behind, decent full blooded derby match, six goals.

Lowlight...

Probably that second half against Stranraer on Saturday.

Raymond McKinnon GTF is my Falkirk Quarterly round up

Dumbarton looked god awful against us with a team that was built up the week afore the cup started but altho they have won 4 lost 1 and lost 4 they are only 3pts behind us showing that wins matter more

Stranraer Id tip for bottom tho they looked ok against us in the cup but horrific in the league away but managed a 1-1 draw at unbeaten East Fife on Saturday. I dont think the standard in this league is decent, it isnt leagues above  either but it feels like you cant be sure of predicting a result every week in this league.

I think it will be Falkirk and Raith in no slots 1 or 2 and East Fife taking up one of the other play off slots with the other being a slot to play for from many teams namely Dumbarton, Clyde and Airdrie tho wouldnt surprise me if one other came calling.

Raith have a decent squad, they have the injury prone players like we have and one of them was out and the other got injured during which will hamper them long term but they have a bench to change things as proven on Saturday, whereas I dont think we do at the moment which generally means if we dont have the game won with the starting 11, the subs wont make the difference. We seriously need to get rid of Ray and get our team off the leash we have on under Ray, if we dont our only chance is shitfesting it or the play offs and Ray would play for penalties in the play offs

Very difficult start for us including a very poor betfred cup. Mixture of injuries and Lennon struggling to work out his best 11 and formation. 

However the Falkirk game, Danny got his 11 spot on. We got ourselves a fantastic 3 points in front of a big crowd and most pleasing was we actually deserved the 3 points that day. 

I said at the start that our level was outwith Falkirk, Raith and to a lesser extent Airdrie. East Fife, Forfar, Montrose etc was more our playing field and I was desperate after the Airdrie game for us to play those teams, get to the end of Game Day 9 and then evaluate our opening quarter. 

3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats. Can't overly complain so far, keeping the same form would return 48 points which is a decent enough mid table finish, I would happily take that but with Goodwillie in your team plus talents like Ray Grant and David Mitchell, we could improve on that opening quarter. 

If I'm grading it, a B+ is fair. 

Best Player at your club

Toss up between Ray Grant and David Goodwillie .

We're lucky to have a cracking squad over the piece, would say I'm a bit disappointed in Smith and Wallace but they still have my backing. 

Can't have anymore love for Danny Lennon. We're very lucky to have him, he commands the respect from the players who all love playing for him and Moorey and has raised this club from the gutter to where we are now. 

Makes the odd mistakes and some of his signings can be questionable but overall I fucking love him 10/10

Probably David Mitchell. Chris Johnson I like but I must say I really like Howie, he's turned into a cracking wee player. 

Again, hoped for better from Smith and Wallace.

Ray Grant was always a classy wee player but he's really matured this season and it's no surprise he always wins the man of the match on the club website. 

If Ray MacKinnon is sacked, Falkirk. If not then Raith. 

Falkirk or Raith

East Fife 

Clyde or Airdrie

Who's finishing 9th?

Peterhead - Uninspiring was the description above and I'd go with that. And I am also going with that. McNally is Peterheads main problem and their fans know this. 

Who's going down?

Stranraer - Feel sorry for them as they're properly up against it but they were rotten at Broadwood and their results suggest they aren't much better elsewhere. Long season for them I think. 

I genuinely think David Goodwillie though the opposition player that impressed me most was Paul Watson of Montrose. 

Falkirk at home and Dumbarton away.

Lowlight...

2nd half v Airdrie and the Montrose game.