Diplomatic Immunity

cyderspaceman

15 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Last year Britain revoked immunity for the husband of a British UN diplomat after he was accused of beating her.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/19/husband-british-un-diplomat-arrested-accusations-domestic-violence/

US reaction was one of thanks.  Not sure it'll be reciprocated.

Yousseff Amrouche? Sounds like he could be  a muslimy, brownish person. Lucky he wasn't shot after "he slammed a door on an (police) officer's hand".

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Not sure you can seize a diplomatic passport...?

Now it's transpired neither the husband or the wife were registered as diplomats.

Looking more and more like Northamptonshire Police police have made a complete arses of themselves here.

On 08/10/2019 at 12:52, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Death by dangerous driving usually does lead to Jail time.

You sure about that? I don't know all the sad details of either case but ...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/american-woman-who-killed-north-berwick-pensioner-after-driving-wrong-side-road-spared-jail-sentence-649336

They aren't diplomats and they don't have diplomatic immunity. The husband is an NSA contractor who is involved in surveillance operations which British intelligence can't carry out on UK citizens. 

They have immunity based on an agreement in the 90s which gives US intelligence officials immunity from UK prosecution (exactly the same as US forces had while occupying Iraq).

This is what happens when you are the vassal nation.

This is one of the most depressing news stories in a long time.

Firstly, a young man has lost his life needlessly.

Secondly, it's a stark illustration of the way that power protects itself at the expense of the powerless, even in the most cruel and unnecessary ways.

Accident or not, this woman is responsible for the death of a young guy and it is absolutely disgusting that her husband's job can be used to protect her from even having to face up to responsibility for that, never mind being punished for it. It's hard to imagine the frustration and anger the victim's family must be feeling.

It really is an appalling example of how power works.

Edited by JTS98

Good post. 

The other factor is that it shows up our 'free press' as the joke it is. They know it's nothing to do with the Vienna Convention but follow the government line.

Similarly we don't hear much about Assange still being in prison despite his custodial sentence having expired. 

25 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Good post. 

The other factor is that it shows up our 'free press' as the joke it is. They know it's nothing to do with the Vienna Convention but follow the government line.

Similarly we don't hear much about Assange still being in prison despite his custodial sentence having expired. 

He's on remand waiting for an extradition hearing. Given his record of absconding his lawyers didn't even bother applying for bail. Whatever you think about the circumstances, it's hardly a secret, or unusual.

He was remanded before his lawyers had a chance to even apply for bail. He's also in 23 hour lock down and has visiting restrictions.  It's also been revealed that the CIA paid a Spanish company to bug his meetings with his defence attorneys in the embassy. 

Back on topic I've just read another report referring to 'the diplomat's wife's. Definite D Notice.

Edited by Detournement

41 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He was remanded before his lawyers had a chance to even apply for bail.

District judge Vanessa Baraitser told him: “You have been produced today because your sentence of imprisonment is about to come to an end. When that happens your remand status changes from a serving prisoner to a person facing extradition.

“Therefore I have given your lawyer an opportunity to make an application for bail on your behalf and she has declined to do so, perhaps not surprisingly in light of your history of absconding in these proceedings.

“In my view I have substantial ground for believing if I release you, you will abscond again.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/sep/14/julian-assange-to-remain-in-jail-pending-extradition-to-us

There are good reasons why we have diplomatic immunity - it's when it is abused that there's a problem.

How you avoid abuse but still keep the principle is something that I think is really difficult to do.

Without carte blanche diplomatic immunity you would just open up a can of worms - you could imagine that some countries would use charges that were not subject to diplomatic immunity for their own ends.

16 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

She doesn't have diplomatic immunity. What a f**k up...

It's not a f**k up.

They got caught out lying about diplomatic immunity and now this is supposed to end the scrutiny of why she wasn't charged. The BBC and all the papers are parroting whatever the government tells them.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:47, Detournement said:

They aren't diplomats and they don't have diplomatic immunity. The husband is an NSA contractor who is involved in surveillance operations which British intelligence can't carry out on UK citizens. 

They have immunity based on an agreement in the 90s which gives US intelligence officials immunity from UK prosecution (exactly the same as US forces had while occupying Iraq).

This is what happens when you are the vassal nation.

I'm not well up on this.

Is what you're saying is that the US/NSA is carrying out surveillance, in the UK, on UK citizens..... because British intelligence is not permitted to do so ?

And it's done with the direct agreement of the British government ?

4 hours ago, beefybake said:

I'm not well up on this.

Is what you're saying is that the US/NSA is carrying out surveillance, in the UK, on UK citizens..... because British intelligence is not permitted to do so ?

And it's done with the direct agreement of the British government ?

Aye. That's exactly what happens. 

And in reverse in the USA. Keeps it all legal.

23 hours ago, Detournement said:

Aye. That's exactly what happens. 

And in reverse in the USA. Keeps it all legal.

I'm sure it's called Echelon, where USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia all allow each other to spy on their citizens as they aren't allowed to spy in their own.