How has football helped you?

20 minutes ago, RaithTheRover said:

Bit of a weird one this, and I’ll probably get stick from some wee fanny arse Arbroath fan, but how has the glamour of League One football helped you personally?

You might want to edit the "glamour of league one football" bit so as not to offend any Lolkirk Fans. 

That aside, I used to have a fear of gorging myself to death on succulent steak pies. Fortunately, after visiting New Falkirk Stadium I no longer have a craving for steak pies.

You might want to edit the "glamour of league one football" bit so as not to offend any Lolkirk Fans. 

That aside, I used to have a fear of gorging myself to death on succulent steak pies. Fortunately, after visiting New Falkirk Stadium I no longer have a craving for steak pies.

Don’t worry about Lolkirk mate, let it all out here.

1 minute ago, RaithTheRover said:

Don’t worry about Lolkirk mate, let it all out here.

OK, in that case...

Football has helped me "stay local". By that I mean keeping in touch with a club that's been part of the family for 3 generations. You meet someone different every game and you make some good mates, some for life. You share the highs and the lows. It also gets you out the house and away from the wife for a few hours.

This past couple of seasons has helped me in the sense, I no longer go to games against the lino lickers fearing the worst. Quite the opposite. This makes me happy.  I have horse pics.

P&B is great. Frank is a w**k. Whats not to like?

Helped me? Given me more hassle and grief over the years! Joking aside supporting a smaller club gives you more of a sense of belonging than a big team would. As a kid, it probably introduced me into a man's world and what being around adults was like. Over my life there's been times I've missed out through finances, work, relationships or simply losing interest. However EF are still there, always welcoming you back, as if nothing ever happened. When I first went in 1984, it was my dad taking me. Now it's me taking him, the baton has been passed & now I take my son, & unless she changes her mind, today will be my daughter's first experience. I always feel a sense of guilt if I don't go without good reason, especially these last couple of seasons. It may well be that EF won't be around forever but we, as fans are guardians of our game and hopefully they'll still be here to enjoy long after I'm gone. I don't long for a rich sheik to come along and turn us into champions league contenders, I just want my club to continue and provide these small, infrequent bouts of happiness and memories for years to come. 

Without football I wouldn't have my current job.

That came about when a reporter from the paper I currently work for got in touch with the Sonstrust to find a fan who could write a fortnightly opinion column, the guy the paper got in contact with had read my lower league ramblings on here, suggested me for the role and - four and a half years later - I now work full-time, where covering DFC is a decent size part of my role.

So aye, football's helped me quite a wee bit. And so has talking about it to strangers online.

The scotch pies are becoming stuff of legend they are so bad.

14 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

OK, in that case...

Football has helped me "stay local". By that I mean keeping in touch with a club that's been part of the family for 3 generations. You meet someone different every game and you make some good mates, some for life. You share the highs and the lows. It also gets you out the house and away from the wife for a few hours.

This past couple of seasons has helped me in the sense, I no longer go to games against the lino lickers fearing the worst. Quite the opposite. This makes me happy.  I have horse pics.

P&B is great. Frank is a w**k. Whats not to like?

Greenied for giving Frank a mention

20190817_190845.jpg

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:21, Life on Marrs? said:

Helped me? Given me more hassle and grief over the years! Joking aside supporting a smaller club gives you more of a sense of belonging than a big team would. As a kid, it probably introduced me into a man's world and what being around adults was like. Over my life there's been times I've missed out through finances, work, relationships or simply losing interest. However EF are still there, always welcoming you back, as if nothing ever happened. When I first went in 1984, it was my dad taking me. Now it's me taking him, the baton has been passed & now I take my son, & unless she changes her mind, today will be my daughter's first experience. I always feel a sense of guilt if I don't go without good reason, especially these last couple of seasons. It may well be that EF won't be around forever but we, as fans are guardians of our game and hopefully they'll still be here to enjoy long after I'm gone. I don't long for a rich sheik to come along and turn us into champions league contenders, I just want my club to continue and provide these small, infrequent bouts of happiness and memories for years to come. 

Great post :thumsup2 

Football has helped me get through some hard times in my life, especially after my Dad died. Used to go to all the matches home and away with him. He died mid way through our championship winning season in 2003/04 and my Mum died five weeks later. Just into the new year however we went on a great run of form and I went to all the midweek games and Saturday games watching the great talent Wullie Mc Laren at his best. Our great performances culminating in winning the 1st Division championship helped me greatly to cope with my loss and it was particulary sweet beating Greenock Moron (not a spelling error - deliberate) towards the end of the season as my Dad had the stroke from which he died the same day as Moron beat us 6-1 at home earlier in the season. Although I must confess that football doesn't mean as much to me now as it did when my Dad was with me at the matches, I am grateful for Airdrie for helping me through what was an extremely difficult time emotionally.

Edited by Locker Luke