League 2 - player wages

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Informative post.

You can see how having a "regular job" to supplement the footballing wage is better financially for many part time players than going full time for a club in a division or two higher. It's got to be a difficult decision for players who potentially could be playing for a full time club. The lure of full time employment in the sport you love and the prestige of playing for a more senior club versus the money/stability of playing p/t and holding a regular job that you can do after your footbaling career ends.

It's been in the press than Mitch Megginson turned down Championship/SPL sides to play p/t and keep his well paid job purely because the higher league side couldn't match his overall wage. I'd think this is fairly common. Sure this was the case with Rory McAllister and Martin Bavidge of Peterhead.

I think the championship teams story was put about by megginsons agent to try and get some bids in.

His form this season is basically a decent league 2 strikers form.

9 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

I think the championship teams story was put about by megginsons agent to try and get some bids in.

His form this season is basically a decent league 2 strikers form.

I agree with you on the form this season. He has scored a couple and does work really hard but he himself has been critical of the chances he missed.
This might/could/hopefully change at any point. 

A lot of our goals have come from our midfielders. Mitch is playing as lone striker and our other attacking options are;

John Robertson

Martin Scott

Jordan Brown.

They’ve scored 0 league goals between them but admittedly barely had an minutes between them. Jordan Brown hasn’t played at all. Are they good enough for top of league 2 - certainly not as good as Mitch. Other teams in the leagues have better striking duos. 

I don’t want to sound harsh on Mitch as he’s doing a good job and more than likely will start a purple patch of lots of goals

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Do players at this level have agents? I’d have him in my team any day of the week

It’s a mixed bag, I know a few players on a personal level who played at this level. A couple did and a couple didn’t. I’ve never asked how much they earned at their clubs as it was never any of my business.

I always find it funny though because you continually hear or read supporters saying “how can we compete against their budget”, “we/they should be doing better with their budget”, “he’s getting XXXX playing for them”, “they offered him XXX more to sign for them” etc etc, and actually nobody really knows but comments such as these get banded about on an almost weekly basis.

I’ll be 40 next year and have been watching football since I was 7, I can honestly say that I have never known a teams budget and with the exception of what 1 player got at a club he played with, I couldn’t tell you how much people earn.

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I agree with you on the form this season. He has scored a couple and does work really hard but he himself has been critical of the chances he missed.
This might/could/hopefully change at any point. 

A lot of our goals have come from our midfielders. Mitch is playing as lone striker and our other attacking options are;

John Robertson

Martin Scott

Jordan Brown.

They’ve scored 0 league goals between them but admittedly barely had an minutes between them. Jordan Brown hasn’t played at all. Are they good enough for top of league 2 - certainly not as good as Mitch. Other teams in the leagues have better striking duos. 

I don’t want to sound harsh on Mitch as he’s doing a good job and more than likely will start a purple patch of lots of goals

Are you for real?! You’re top of the league, unbeaten with 22 points from a possible 24, goal difference of +17 - but your strikers aren’t up to it??!! 

2 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

Are you for real?! You’re top of the league, unbeaten with 22 points from a possible 24, goal difference of +17 - but your strikers aren’t up to it??!! 

We play one striker up front and the others get no game time. Mitch is doing well but I wouldn’t say he’s head and shoulders above other strikers in the league.

A lot of our goals you’ve eluded to have come from midfield (Glass, Antoniazzi, Masson, Fyvie).

reckon 80 per week be average apart from the top players and cove. signing on fees thing of the past win bonuses maybe push it to 100.

On 13/08/2019 at 22:30, elgin proud said:

woosh

On 22/09/2019 at 23:09, tamthebam said:

I was feeling smug but now you've put doubts in my mind...! :lol:

On 05/10/2019 at 09:04, BB_Bino said:

I’ll be 40 next year and have been watching football since I was 7, I can honestly say that I have never known a teams budget and with the exception of what 1 player got at a club he played with, I couldn’t tell you how much people earn.

It's not that outlandish that quite a few folk will know their clubs player budget. If someone's a shareholder / committee member or whatever or knows someone who is, there's a decent chance they'll have seen what the budget is. Of course, it might not be the current season but these things aren't a total mystery.

Plus, i reckon a lot of folk could have a pretty good go at roughly ranking the budgets within a league. Nobody's seriously sitting there thinking Albion Rovers might be paying more than Cove Rangers because we haven't seen official budgets.

I'd be very surprised if the total player wagebill for any L2 club (other than QP for the time being obviously) was appreciably below £100k - is that a reasonable minimum budget for this league?

I know the player budget for two clubs in L2 and your statement is correct for those two clubs. Actually you are a bit low.