Peterhead v Airdrieonians

10 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Just back from a long day which had the highlights of a very good mince pie at 2.25 and superb fish supper in Stonehaven at 6pm. The Aberdeen city bypass was a great change on the way up in avoiding all the slowness of Aberdeen. To the game I got the team line up almost to my liking in that we went 3-5-2 with Hutton back in goal/Fordyce-Crighton-Kerr/ Mcdonald -Wedderburn (deep throat) McKay and Roberts ( slightly freer to attack) Eckersley/ Gallager and Smith.  I continue to have doubts about Nat in that he almost gifted them a goal in the first half by dilly dallying but he had two of the best passes in the game in the second half but the chances were not taken. He did seem to get better as Peterhead began to drop back but I remain unsure.

They had a half chance in the first minute but we were on the attack thereafter and a good counter attack saw McDonald cross for Gallagher to score. We had a couple of chances after that but from about the 15th minute it was all Peterhead as we struggled to press their midfield and McCallister and their no 11, was giving our back three a difficult time. We gave away a soft foul and a high punt to the back post caused panic and the second ball was fired home. For much of the rest of the half we looked nervous and struggled to do much. Peterhead were more direct ( despite Conroy) , If they  had got a second it might have been all over. The second half was a bit better and we had some good play. I thought we might have had a penalty when Smith was barged off a chasing ball, but we did get one from a corner when Gallagher was tripped rather stupidly.  Carrick had added pace etc and he confidently scored. It never looked like Peterhead would equalise but there were some scares. This is a strange L1 where we are 2 pts behind Falkirk despite our home results and moved back into 4th as Clyde lost. Pass marks to everyone but still unsure about whether we can dominate games. That's enough for now I think

,Decent report for me from my side of the fence.

Peterhead were the better side , but christ we are toothless.

Airdrie kept plugging away and took the points.

A game best forgotten for both sides. The Plus for Airdrie was the points.

Unless we start scoring we are in a relegation fight, if not relegation favourites.

A better performance from us yesterday which I thought deserved some reward for, the team must have picked itself as we only had three outfield players on the bench and two of them were reportedly carrying injuries.. Poor start again losing the early goal but recovered well and got on top for a good spell. Our undoing was an old failure that we fell back and tried to defend on our 18 yard line rather than higher up the park, it is something we seem to do all the time so rather than playing a line for offside we end up scrambling to clear the ball from our box. Did not get a good view of the penalty incident but  not surprized by not getting anything from that particular official.   ps  the highlights must have been posted while I was writing this post still not sure what happened with the pen.

Edited by peternapper

Glad we picked up 3 points and the big positive is the team kept plugging away to take something from this game. Results like this can help lift the team but as mentioned we’re still lacking a big target man. We’ve still to have a ‘big’ win in this league and tbh if the season finished today I wouldn’t be disappointed with us in a play off spot. With our current squad we will never surpass falkirk or raith rovers. Can only hope we continue to gel as a team to give us a half chance if play offs do come. Concerning around some of the refereeing in this league, I honestly can’t believe Smith being taken out didn’t result in a penalty. Absolute stonewaller. The stranraer player being sent off last week and some other bad decisions leave us all puzzled. I hope the SFA are taking time to coach these guys on the incidents. At this level it can be the difference between a loss or 3 points

6 hours ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

,Decent report for me from my side of the fence.

Peterhead were the better side , but christ we are toothless.

Airdrie kept plugging away and took the points.

A game best forgotten for both sides. The Plus for Airdrie was the points.

Unless we start scoring we are in a relegation fight, if not relegation favourites.

Largely agree with you but as I have never seen us win at Peterhead I won't forget it. I wonder if your reliance on McAllister is the weak point. I thought the wee no 11 was quite good and wonder why he was taken off . I have now seen 8 of the other sides and many of the bottom 7 (!) could vary from week to week with flirting with relegation. We coped with Falkirk and might have done better against Raith but East Fife was a real worry. The other games could have gone either way-it's that kind of League. It was a cold day at Balmoor and I will make sure the gloves are on for the next visit. Why do you still print out tickets for a turnstile entrance-does it cost much?

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Glad we picked up 3 points and the big positive is the team kept plugging away to take something from this game. Results like this can help lift the team but as mentioned we’re still lacking a big target man. We’ve still to have a ‘big’ win in this league and tbh if the season finished today I wouldn’t be disappointed with us in a play off spot. With our current squad we will never surpass falkirk or raith rovers. Can only hope we continue to gel as a team to give us a half chance if play offs do come. Concerning around some of the refereeing in this league, I honestly can’t believe Smith being taken out didn’t result in a penalty. Absolute stonewaller. The stranraer player being sent off last week and some other bad decisions leave us all puzzled. I hope the SFA are taking time to coach these guys on the incidents. At this level it can be the difference between a loss or 3 points

Forget the beaks doing anything on the refereeing front. They struggle to get people to do the job.

In the lower leagues I have never seen any OTT signs of bias toward any club. 

It's a nightmare job. Look at the Peterhead -Clyde game where Danny Lennon thought.........before seeing the video?......... that Goodwillies red card could be appealed.  On seeing it on video it was red all day long. On one viewing during the game I wasnt sure either. 

The refs get one look at an incident and have to make the decision. Maybe cut them some slack. They're only human.

9 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Largely agree with you but as I have never seen us win at Peterhead I won't forget it. I wonder if your reliance on McAllister is the weak point. I thought the wee no 11 was quite good and wonder why he was taken off . I have now seen 8 of the other sides and many of the bottom 7 (!) could vary from week to week with flirting with relegation. We coped with Falkirk and might have done better against Raith but East Fife was a real worry. The other games could have gone either way-it's that kind of League. It was a cold day at Balmoor and I will make sure the gloves are on for the next visit. Why do you still print out tickets for a turnstile entrance-does it cost much?

The buying of tickets at the portakabin has been on the go for a couple of seasons now. TBH  at first I thought it was a pain in the arse , but like everything else you get used to it.

I can only assume there had been some 'miscounting ' at the turnstiles?

We have relied on McAllister for too long , and now hes showing his vulnerability to age and injury.

Smith, the no11 had his best game since the ICT cup game a couple of months back. At that game I thought he was going to be a big player for us. Hopefully hes found his feet.

We missed Si Ferry quite badly yesterday, too.

As you say , it's a close league really, I'm simply suffering the 'losing blues' feeling!

Sorry, forgot to add......it was a Summers day yesterday...........lol.

Edited by As Easterly as it gets!

2 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

The buying of tickets at the portakabin has been on the go for a couple of seasons now. TBH  at first I thought it was a pain in the arse , but like everything else you get used to it.

I can only assume there had been some 'miscounting ' at the turnstiles?

We have relied on McAllister for too long , and now hes showing his vulnerability to age and injury.

Smith, the no11 had his best game since the ICT cup game a couple of months back. At that game I thought he was going to be a big player for us. Hopefully hes found his feet.

We missed Si Ferry quite badly yesterday, too.

As you say , it's a close league really, I'm simply suffering the 'losing blues' feeling!

Been there in the blues days many a time but I am usually rescued by a Saturday Curry. I can see how "miscounting" has happened at many a club so it makes sense. Was the crowd really as quoted yesterday?  619? We had very few fans ,I think  less than 100? I can see how injuries have affected your squad.  On the question of Refs I agree with you but we all moan.

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Been there in the blues days many a time but I am usually rescued by a Saturday Curry. I can see how "miscounting" has happened at many a club so it makes sense. Was the crowd really as quoted yesterday?  619? We had very few fans ,I think  less than 100? I can see how injuries have affected your squad.  On the question of Refs I agree with you but we all moan.

We thought the crowd was a bit down , but like most clubs I suppose we count non attending S/T holders?

Och aye, moaning is a football supporters lot! 

Next game is always going to be better.

No doubt Scotlands performances next week will give us something to cheer........................😥😥

6 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

We thought the crowd was a bit down , but like most clubs I suppose we count non attending S/T holders?

Och aye, moaning is a football supporters lot! 

Next game is always going to be better.

No doubt Scotlands performances next week will give us something to cheer........................😥😥

Indeed on all counts. I was at the Russia home game and it will take some effort to get anything. It will be the play off semi that shows if we are making progress. Cheers

On 04/10/2019 at 22:19, blueone said:

Indeed he did. In fact, I think it was after a mini pre season tournament that Airdrie signed him from us.

Yes, it was the Buchan Cup that I think involved ourselves, Ayr, Peterhead and Fraserburgh. I mind taking a picture (with a camera, no mobiles in 'em days) after the tournament of a mate with our new big signing Andy Smith! Think the Buchan Cup took place two years in a row, once at Fraserburgh and the other in Peterhead. ThinkAirdrie might also have taken the place of Aberdeen in a friendly tournament some years later.

Seem to remember going up to Peterhead for a midweek game , we beat them that night ,as they were shouting abuse and how Ayr would beat us next game , I take it must have been a play off ,maybe the year we beat Ayr then Dumbarton gave us a going over in final of play off ????

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Seem to remember going up to Peterhead for a midweek game , we beat them that night ,as they were shouting abuse and how Ayr would beat us next game , I take it must have been a play off ,maybe the year we beat Ayr then Dumbarton gave us a going over in final of play off ????

Would have been the 2009 Playoffs, we finished 9th in the old Div1 and played Peterhead in the Semi FInal, beat them 2:0 at Airdrie and 2:1 at Peterhead 1(4 May 2009).  We played Ayr United in the final and lost 3:2 on aggregate but were not relegated thanks to the demise of Gretna (edit or was it Livingston)

Edited by Old Diamond

1 minute ago, Old Diamond said:

Would have been the 2009 Playoffs, we finished 9th in the old Div1 and played Peterhead in the Semi FInal, beat them 2:0 at Airdrie and 2:1 at Peterhead 1(4 May 2009).  We played Ayr United in the final and lost 3:2 on aggregate but were not relegated thanks to the demise of Gretna

Was it not Livi that kept us up that year? I’m sure the demise of Gretna got promoted after losing to Clyde in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Was it not Livi that kept us up that year? I’m sure the demise of Gretna got promoted after losing to Clyde in the playoffs. 

See edit - Wikipedia says Gretna on one page and Livingston on another