Peterhead v Airdrieonians

3 hours ago, Blue-Toon said:

Not much interest in this game so far. Here is the match programme to get you interested -

https://www.peterheadfc.com/blue-toon-talk/item/2644-08-v-airdrieonians-05-10-19

Peterhead 18 Airdrie 35 according to the programme.

Number of players of course. I guess Airdrie's includes reserves and youths but still a massive squad for this level.

3 hours ago, blueone said:

Number of players of course. I guess Airdrie's includes reserves and youths but still a massive squad for this level.

Yep loads of young guys in the hybrid system but the "adult" squad is a lot for L1 . There ought to be competition for places which explains why our manager rarely picks an unchanged team. Is it really competitive? Too early to give a definite view. Liked the on line read before I come up tomorrow and only a slight quibble-it missed out our other Scottish Cup final defeat in 1995 to Celtic. I have seen all three  and my departed Dad was at the 1924 final and never forgot that team.

4 hours ago, blueone said:

By the sound of things we will need to count our coaching staff to get up to 18 be doing well to have 3 on the bench possibly.

4 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yep loads of young guys in the hybrid system but the "adult" squad is a lot for L1 . There ought to be competition for places which explains why our manager rarely picks an unchanged team. Is it really competitive? Too early to give a definite view. Liked the on line read before I come up tomorrow and only a slight quibble-it missed out our other Scottish Cup final defeat in 1995 to Celtic. I have seen all three  and my departed Dad was at the 1924 final and never forgot that team.

However, on the plus side,  the first sentence after welcoming Airdrieonians to Balmoor begins "Founded in 1878..."!

2 hours ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

However, on the plus side,  the first sentence after welcoming Airdrieonians to Balmoor begins "Founded in 1878..."!

Yes I did see this acknowledgement. There was a Dumbarton programme a few years ago which was a bit sniffy about our history, so fair dos for Peterhead author. I think we also used to play Peterhead in their highland League days in pre season friendlies, although I never saw any. Andy Smith  also came from them?

9 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes I did see this acknowledgement. There was a Dumbarton programme a few years ago which was a bit sniffy about our history, so fair dos for Peterhead author. I think we also used to play Peterhead in their highland League days in pre season friendlies, although I never saw any. Andy Smith  also came from them?

Indeed he did. In fact, I think it was after a mini pre season tournament that Airdrie signed him from us.

2 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

This early in the season and both sets of fans seem to have lost the enthusiasm of
the new campaign and decent starts (which have faltered).

Anyone confident for this one?

I think there is so much apathy of an Airdrie perspective, is due to the pre season bull**** that most of us swallowed,  probably a top 2 budget to get us out of this swamp of a league,  but we have spunked most of this budget on around 20 youth players most on Full time deals with little or no chance of these players playing for a very ordinary first team for the foreseeable future and beyond.... We have turned into Scotland's equivalent to f c asker in norway,  this seems like Murray's plan all along,   How has this been allowed to happen with our beloved Director of Football behind the c ontrols,    This season has went pete tong even before the September weekend with paying punters sipping below the 600 mark.....   With cove rangers ambition to progress through the league's out big chance was t o go up this year, could still happen very doubtful though even if we get 3 points up north today.

We need consistency in team selection and consistency on the park. We've had neither.    Need 3 points today to try and kick on - how many times have we said that.

Prediction? Airdrie to win 3-0 - Ryan Conroy (midfield genital ..oops general) hat trick.

Seriously - I really don't know - but beer is in the fridge for tonight  to celebrate or numb the hurt....

16 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Meh. A win’s a win.

Agreed. Other results went our way but what we need now is a consistent run of form - not the usual 2 wins and getting gubbed scenario.    The lucky thing  for us (and for every other team)  is there hasn't been a stand out outfit who have went on any consistent run of wins - so the league is still tight.

1 hour ago, Stevo1968 said:

Any match reports? Didn’t make the game today

Just back from a long day which had the highlights of a very good mince pie at 2.25 and superb fish supper in Stonehaven at 6pm. The Aberdeen city bypass was a great change on the way up in avoiding all the slowness of Aberdeen. To the game I got the team line up almost to my liking in that we went 3-5-2 with Hutton back in goal/Fordyce-Crighton-Kerr/ Mcdonald -Wedderburn (deep throat) McKay and Roberts ( slightly freer to attack) Eckersley/ Gallager and Smith.  I continue to have doubts about Nat in that he almost gifted them a goal in the first half by dilly dallying but he had two of the best passes in the game in the second half but the chances were not taken. He did seem to get better as Peterhead began to drop back but I remain unsure.

They had a half chance in the first minute but we were on the attack thereafter and a good counter attack saw McDonald cross for Gallagher to score. We had a couple of chances after that but from about the 15th minute it was all Peterhead as we struggled to press their midfield and McCallister and their no 11, was giving our back three a difficult time. We gave away a soft foul and a high punt to the back post caused panic and the second ball was fired home. For much of the rest of the half we looked nervous and struggled to do much. Peterhead were more direct ( despite Conroy) , If they  had got a second it might have been all over. The second half was a bit better and we had some good play. I thought we might have had a penalty when Smith was barged off a chasing ball, but we did get one from a corner when Gallagher was tripped rather stupidly.  Carrick had added pace etc and he confidently scored. It never looked like Peterhead would equalise but there were some scares. This is a strange L1 where we are 2 pts behind Falkirk despite our home results and moved back into 4th as Clyde lost. Pass marks to everyone but still unsure about whether we can dominate games. That's enough for now I think