Celtic Connections 2020

BallochSonsFan

Celtic Connections line-up announced. After a poor year in 2019 for my taste in music, 2020 is back with an absolute stormer. I could go to 11 gigs over the course of the festival (16 days) if I could balance it with going to work and not killing my staff. I'm looking at:

18/01/20 - Cam Penner (concert hall)
19/01/20 - Tyler Childers (St Luke's)
21/01/20 - Amanda Anne Platt & The Honey Cutters (Mitchell)
22/01/20 - Danni Nicholls (Glad Cafe)
23/01/20 - Frazey Ford (St Lukes)
24/01/20 - The Felice Brothers (St Lukes)
27/01/20 - Milk Carton Kids (concert hall)
28/01/20 - Della Mae (concert hall)
30/01/20 - Kacy & Clayton (CCA)
02/02/20 - Shovels & Rope (Oran Mor)

Already have tickets to Felice Brothers and Milk Carton Kids. I'm trying to convince myself that missing Anais Mitchell (29/01) is going to make a world of difference and will give me a day to catch up on rest.

Think it’s a much poorer lineup this year, although I’ll be going to Sturgill Simpson, and possibly The Lone Bellow, and already have tickets for The Milk Carton Kids and Tyler Childers.

An article in the Scotsman about how they’re being forced to downscale the international programme by 20 % this year, and want to focus more on Scottish music in the future. It’s not a good sign at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Never been to CC before. Coming through Saturday 18th. Going to coastal Connections during the day and blazing fiddles in evening. Can anyone recommend any late night sessions be it singing or playing that you can sit in play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2019 at 13:27, Savage Henry said:

An article in the Scotsman about how they’re being forced to downscale the international programme by 20 % this year, and want to focus more on Scottish music in the future. It’s not a good sign at all.

tbh I'd like them to focus a bit more on Scottish acts.

Plenty of good music around. Could have Doghouse Roses, Roseanne Reid, Norrie McCulloch, Martha L Healy, Daniel Meade, Dean Owens, James Edwyn and a good few others as part of the festival. Pleased that Isobel Campbell is playing it but unfortunately she clashes with somebody else I want to see.

For me it's time they split it into 3 or 4 separate festivals. Run them over the course of a month, with a wee bit of overlap, and treat it in a similar way to the Edinburgh festivals. Get people in who actually know and care about each area of music that they want to showcase.

On 07/01/2020 at 07:42, cowden0 said:

Never been to CC before. Coming through Saturday 18th. Going to coastal Connections during the day and blazing fiddles in evening. Can anyone recommend any late night sessions be it singing or playing that you can sit in play.

Late night they have the CC festival club. Pot luck which acts are playing it but you'll get 3 or 4 playing 20-30 minutes each at any given night. Often a mix of styles.

Participation? More likely at one of the more regular sessions. One of the pubs near Kelvingrove Park has a well established trad music night.

Late night they have the CC festival club. Pot luck which acts are playing it but you'll get 3 or 4 playing 20-30 minutes each at any given night. Often a mix of styles.
Participation? More likely at one of the more regular sessions. One of the pubs near Kelvingrove Park has a well established trad music night.

Thanks going to break out the mandolin I think. Getting too old for lugging around the old banjo. Or could really travel light and find singing session. To be honest I’m like a kid in a sweet shop. So much choice.

Was at Molly Linen on Saturday who was absolutely fine, but the support Sofia Wolfson was outstanding (for fans of Lucy Dacus, Phoebe Bridgers).

Tyler Childers was bang average last night, and not helped by the amount of utter fuds who talked through the whole show. Almost a fight near where I was when someone (rightly) got told to shut the f**k up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2020 at 11:10, GrahamJags said:

Was at Molly Linen on Saturday who was absolutely fine, but the support Sofia Wolfson was outstanding (for fans of Lucy Dacus, Phoebe Bridgers).

Tyler Childers was bang average last night, and not helped by the amount of utter fuds who talked through the whole show. Almost a fight near where I was when someone (rightly) got told to shut the f**k up.

Great recommendation. 'Party Favors' is amazing and I'll be listening to her a lot.

Got to say that I've really enjoyed Celtic Connections this year. Some good gigs. Some absolutely great gigs. Only a couple of shows that didnt impress.

Cam Penner started things off strongly. Also impressed by Amanda Anne Platt and the Honeycutters.

Really strong shows from Tyler Childers, Frazey Ford (I reviewed the gig for Americana UK), Felice Brothers, Milk Carton Kids, Della Mae and Shovels & Rope.

Even a few really good support acts. Was impressed by Midnight Skyracer, Cup o Joe, Tielhard Frost and Jeremie Albino.

Disappointed with Danni Nicholls. Felt her early albums were good but her more recent stuff is bland, radio-friendly nonsense and her set drew from her latest album far too heavily. She falls into the same pitfalls as other UK "country/americana"acts do. It's a pale imitation of what a good songwriter should sound like. Kacy and Clayton? I like their music but Kacy spent the entire gig looking like she'd rather be anywhere else. Sure there were some early technical problems and that seemed to get inside her head. She spent most of the gig with a face like thunder until she snapped out of it a couple of songs before the end and actually put a bit of effort in. I'd go and see them again to give them another chance live, but it won't be for a while. I regret that I missed Isobel Campbell in order to see Kacy and Clayton.

Overall its been a really good festival for me. 6 gigs that will be right up there with my favourites of the year in 11 months time.

Couple of weeks off and then I'm at Gill Landry.