Motherwell vs St Mirren

Watched the second half of this on Well TV, but if the first half was as one sided as it appears to have been then that won’t have given a proper view of the game. 

Even in a half where we played a lot better than the first, none of our strikers looked anywhere near scoring, with our best efforts coming from midfielders. 

Djorkaef’s first 90 seconds on the pitch epitomised our season so far. Almost gets a first touch which would have drawn us level but takes a fresh air swipe. Then seconds later his actual first touch is to play in Long with a perfect pass to tie the game up. 

The commentators on Well TV were absolutely bricking it in that second half - they’ve clearly not watched us this season!

Chris Long is a strange character. When there's such uncertainty over who is our main striker, i'd have thought you'd use all available avenues to get yourself in favour ahead of the others, but even when he scores he looks like he'd rather be in the house.

It's annoying because I do think he is our best striker and played consistently I think you're looking at a 15 goal season from him. Just at least look like you're arsed whether it happens or not.

Edited by Al B

1 minute ago, Al B said:

Chris Long is a strange character. When there's such uncertainty over who is our main striker, i'd have thought you'd use all available avenues to get yourself in favour ahead of the others, but even when he scores he looks like he'd rather be in the house.

On that point, watching the game back on Alba last week he seemed to look like he was being really chippy in a back and forth with Robinson while he was waiting to get subbed on. Strange behaviour.

Smashing goal yesterday like.

14 minutes ago, Al B said:

Is there though? 

Long scored 2 in 2 and had another decent display leading the line against Hibs, albeit he had a nightmare in front of goal. He’s then been suddenly dropped for the last 4 games for Cole who, while he’s shown flashes of ability, for me hasn’t done enough to justify ousting Long from the team let alone keeping him out it. 

Going by Robinson’s comments and the clubs content they certainly seem to be trying to big up Cole. To me, it looks like he’s someone Robinson thought was a bit of coup for us. Therefore, he’s trying to shoehorn him into the team- presumably to get him up to speed as he thinks there’s a lot more to come.

I’m sure I heard Robinson said Long had had some personal issues so maybe that’s played a part- although he’s never missed a game.  And maybe we haven’t seen the best of Cole yet but on what he have seen, I’d have Long in the team before him no question. Certainly think he can feel slightly perturbed to have seen such little action in recent weeks. 

Edited by Casagolda

Smashing game, smashing win and very much enjoyed my first experience in hospitality. Only downside is that I shat out of getting a photo with Peter Hartley when he came into the Centenary Suite after the game.

21 minutes ago, Al B said:

Chris Long is a strange character. When there's such uncertainty over who is our main striker, i'd have thought you'd use all available avenues to get yourself in f avour ahead of the others, but even when he scores he looks like he'd rather be in the house.

It's annoying because I do think he is our best striker and played consistently I think you're looking at a 15 goal season from him. Just at least look like you're arsed whether it happens or not.

I know this is the fitba equivalent of 1st World Problems and I don't expect everyone to be a Moult-like MASSIVE CELEBRATIONS! guy - but I've got no time for acting that fucking miserable after scoring a good goal to seal a tight game. I get it when a 1st team player scores for the reserves or against a league 2 side in the cup but it's a bit grim looking pissed-off and giving the impression that you're not overly impressed at your modest surroundings...

That said - it's a totally minor complaint in the grand scheme and he does look a decent player who I hope starts against Aberdeen in a fortnight...

27 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Is there though? 

Well it's two separate things really. I'm saying theres uncertainty over who is our number one striker. That's different from who should be.

For me it should be Chris Long, but given we've played 8 games and had at least 3 different players play there, I don't think you can look at anyone and say "he's our starting striker".

There's a huge opportunity for anyone who wants that spot to look at it and go..."im having that", and do absolutely everything they can to grab it. That's why im surprised Long's whole vibe seems to be very "meh".

Danny Johnson always seemed to have that "how dare you consider anyone else" vibe about him as well, which just feels quite irritating.

Edited by Al B

Slightly Devil's Advocating on the whole Cole vs Long thing, I agree with @Casagolda that it feels like we're definitely trying to make Cole happen.

At the same time though, of the 4 Cole's started we've won 3 so I'd imagine there's a natural inclination not to change an XI that's picking up points unless injury/suspension dictates so as @Swello says it very much falls into a 1st World Problem bracket. Tbh, I'm still not entirely convinced that playing Cole as our #9 was the original plan.

Also, I'd say that based on what I've seen the two are very different types of forward. Cole (to me at least) seems less of an impact player whereas Long's style could actually be more suited to getting chucked on with 20-25 mins to go and running at a defence that's been chased about the park a bit.

Cole played with his back to goal for 90% of that game yesterday and the majority of times he passed it backwards. I also never want to see him on the wing again either as nothing happened for him out there after Long came on. His link up play was much better vs County.

30 minutes ago, Al B said:

Well it's two separate things really. I'm saying theres uncertainty over who is our number one striker. That's different from who should be.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Slightly Devil's Advocating on the whole Cole vs Long thing, I agree with @Casagolda that it feels like we're definitely trying to make Cole happen.

Sorry, this is what I’m trying say.

I think in Robinson’s head it’s Devante Cole, or at least should be. Which is why he’s got 4 starts on the bounce that haven’t really been justified based on what we’ve seen on the pitch so far.

Contrast that to Long who was harshly dropped on the back of a couple of decent displays. As the Capt rightly says we’ve won 3 of the 4 games Cole’s started but we’d also won 2 on the bounce when Long was dropped.

By no means am I writing off Cole or having a go as I feel he’s certainly shown flashes of ability so far. Maybe though his loan being up in January has forced the issue? If Robinson is indeed a big fan and wants to keep him beyond that, perhaps he feels he needs to give him a run of games to try and justify it to all parties.

Edited by Casagolda

20 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Maybe though his loan being up in January has forced the issue?

I think there is probably something in this - I guess there are a lot of politics involved in loans that punters never see or appreciate. Even if we don't promise to play players X number of times, I guess that how clubs treat loanees probably influences who they get in the future....

45 minutes ago, mathematics said:

What are the thoughts on final league placement Well fans?

Too early to say, but our form since January I believe has us in top 4 so it is hardly as if we have only been performing since the season started. 

The next 3 games will tell us more than the last 3. Aberdeen and Killie at home and Rangers away.  Anything form Rangers game would be a bonus and probably unexpected. But if we can get 2 wins or a win and a draw from the 2 home games I would be confident of top six even this early in the season. 

On the the Long v Cole argument. Cole was poor yesterday and Long seems to offer more resilience and on evidence so far a goal scorer to boot. For me I would start Long for the next game. His lack of celebration for his goal is either I have been having a shit time of it lately or I should have been playing from the start. Either way a smile would not have gone amiss. A bit weird. Hey ho he could be a right miserable b*****d and help get us into top 4 and I would not care a jot........

Throwing away the 3 points against County is starting to annoy now, we would have been joint top at this moment in time.
This might sound a bit daft but I think if we'd beat Ross County then we wouldn't have won against St Johnstone. I can't really give any reasons why but just my take on things.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:
50 minutes ago, ropy said:
Throwing away the 3 points against County is starting to annoy now, we would have been joint top at this moment in time.

This might sound a bit daft but I think if we'd beat Ross County then we wouldn't have won against St Johnstone. I can't really give any reasons why but just my take on things.

Same with the game yesterday tbh. The County game felt like a low-key kick up the arse.

I'd hope we learned something from it.