Motherwell vs St Mirren

I’m not sure what’s going to happen in this game, as regards to how we set up it might actually benefit Jim’s favoured system of playing on the break after surrendering the majority of the ball to the opposition.

If as we expect to be under pressure for the majority of the game we can hopefully hit them on the break using Durmus and McAllister to create openings, for Junior and Obika to squander.

0-1 Saints Sam Foley to score. 

Absolutely shocked that yet another Invernessian has the cigars out every week and setting up literally every goal for his team. 

Inverness really does produce the best players in the country. 

Not the greatest performance today but by God, I am delighted with that result and especially pleased for James Scott for getting that beauty to open the scoring. Results elsewhere have went our way today also and unbelievably we are four points clear in third with Aberdeen next after the break. I did not picture this scenario six weeks ago.

Thought we were excellent in the first half should have more ahead, second half st mirren had a few decent chances but we still looked dangerous going forward. Overall an entertaining game and a well deserved 3 points.

I thought for the most part that was a very good performance. 

Controlled the game for large spells, played some really good football, created numerous good chances and limited St Mirren to very little. A bit shaky at times 2nd half but ultimately still fairly comfortable- although they helped in that regard by being utterly toothless. 

Was surprised to see Maguire get the nod but I thought he played very well, a much better footballer than I realised. Polworth though, what a steal- an absolute baller. Throw in the ever excellent Campbell and Donnelly will have a job on his hands getting back in the team. 

On a similar note, just me that prefers Long to Cole? To me Long looks sharper, his movement is more intelligent, he always seems to take up very good positions and he took his goal really well today. An excellent finish by Scott as well at an important time too, just when it was beginning to look like St Mirren were somehow going to shitfest their way through to half time level. 

Anyway, a much deserved win and another step closer to our European return. 

13 minutes ago, Hammerheid said:

Superb performance by the Well, thoroughly deserved your win, in all honesty it should have been by more, 

BTW that wee number 6 for you's is some player, 

He's so consistently good, that his performances are just taken for granted now. 

He's my motm almost every week

A cynical, physical, hoofball, hammerthrowing performance by St Mirren... I'm amazed at a Jim Goodwin playing in such a manner.  

We barely put in a challenge today never mind any sort of malicious hammerthrowing. First half every single Motherwell player had about 5 mins to decide where and when they were going. Sat off far too much. Second half Mullen tripped a player who was on the counter, a good foul to give away. I wish we were just as how you described but we were far from it. See the first goal as prime example. He waltzed into the middle of the park & had time to turn and pick anywhere he wanted to put the ball.
Djorkaeff’s cameo was something else, great opportunity to equalise seconds later sets up the oppositions second goal. Our second half performance was far better than the first but that wouldn’t have been hard. Created a good few chances in the second with McGinn & Magennis having shots cleared off the line.
I don’t think we should’ve gone with 2 upfront, Andreu instead of Obika was the ideal line up as the Motherwell 3 in midfield had the freedom of Fir Park with the way we set up.