Motherwell vs St Mirren

Generally a tricky fixture for ourselves, including last season when Saints left Fir Park with 4 points from their 2 visits. 

Think O’Hara in for Donnelly is a fairly obvious change for us, can’t imagine he’s come back up the road to sit on the bench and be 5th choice. Think we might also see Hylton start this one.

If St Mirren sit and frustrate like County did, it will nullify Seedorf’s pace again- he’s not done much in either of our last 2 matches from what I’ve seen. Hylton has a bit more guile about him, so might be more suited to unlocking a stubborn defence. Plus, having Seedorf’s pace to chuck on when the game gets stretched could be useful. 

Expecting a fairly similar game to the County one, hopeful we can edge it this time but wouldn’t be surprised if Saints left with something again.

Edited by Casagolda

Right, on paper, this should be the sort of game that suits us perfectly. We are completely set up to counter attack; away to a team that would normally be finishing anywhere from two to five places above us. But... that relies on us sticking the ball in the net when the chances come, and we can't do that.

There are just no goals in us at the moment. 

Our last 2 games have seen us create less in the way of chances,  but we are looking solid in defence. So far JG has not found an affective formula upfront with the exception of a couple of 45 minutes of play. Hopefully that will change this coming Saturday.

I don't see us changing too much for this.

I'd have said Maguire for Donnelly would be the obvious switch on paper as he's generally played the 'Donnelly' role in the Reserves with two of Sloth, Semple or O'Hara either side of him holding mid but we seem to have a much more fluid midfield 3 these days and given the areas Donnelly was picking up his goals from he's hardly been a fixed anchor man and as @Casagolda says you wouldn't think O'Hara's come back up the road to sit on the bench.

Agree re: Hylton for Seedorf as well. Robinson's been consistent with his line that we're bringing players to the club who aren't the finished article and we're looking to develop and improve them. Seedorf's pace is his USP but he was largely ineffective against St Johnstone (to the point he was hooked at H/T) and perhaps a seat on the bench may be what he needs.

We're less about "get crosses into the box" these days so I wonder if Long as a replacement for Seedorf might work and have us go with a narrower 3 up front. After his miss and subsequent redemption I'd imagine we'd stick with big Devante through the middle.

I'm guessing Carroll still has a game of his suspension to serve?

SCOTTISH PREMIERSHIP
21/09/2019 357951 - JAKE CARROLL (MOTHERWELL F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH IMMEDIATE AND 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH FROM 05/10/2019

Link

As we saw against County we're something of a curate's egg of a side but it feels like we're a bit more equipped to break a side down these days than we have been previously under Robinson. Equally, I wouldn't be surprised if Saints took something from this one.

Gillespie
Grimshaw Gallagher Hartley Tait
O'Hara Campbell Polworth
Scott Cole Hylton

Edited by capt_oats

Motherwell will be a hard nut to crack . Mullen has to start as the lone striker if so the ball has to stay on the ground with no high balls. If we are still in the game come the 60min would like to see Obika join him upfront.  Do Saints fans enter the ground from the main stand side or is it the opposite side of the stadium. Will their be a pay at the gate.  Where is best to park the car. Thanks for any info.

5 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Motherwell will be a hard nut to crack . Mullen has to start as the lone striker if so the ball has to stay on the ground with no high balls. If we are still in the game come the 60min would like to see Obika join him upfront.  Do Saints fans enter the ground from the main stand side or is it the opposite side of the stadium. Will their be a pay at the gate.  Where is best to park the car. Thanks for any info.

Last few times I've been you have to walk all the way around the stadium, and a housing estate, to get to the entry for away fans.

I think there may be some parking closer, but most spaces are a fair trek away from the entrance - the Civic Center car park is good, and was great when we could get in without having that trek.

I do wonder if they did that to keep the OF hordes away from proper football fans.

Give yourself a bit of time

10 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Generally a tricky fixture for ourselves, including last season when Saints left Fir Park with 4 points from their 2 visits. 

Think O’Hara in for Donnelly is a fairly obvious change for us, can’t imagine he’s come back up the road to sit on the bench and be 5th choice. Think we might also see Hylton start this one.

If St Mirren sit and frustrate like County did, it will nullify Seedorf’s pace again- he’s not done much in either of our last 2 matches from what I’ve seen. Hylton has a bit more guile about him, so might be more suited to unlocking a stubborn defence. Plus, having Seedorf’s pace to chuck on when the game gets stretched could be useful. 

Expecting a fairly similar game to the County one, hopeful we can edge it this time but wouldn’t be surprised if Saints left with something again.

Guile or ball trapped between his feet?

Dont think the Hearts goal keeper had one save to make last week . Motherwell fans dont sound overly confident which is strange given the great start you have had. We are only let down in the final third so it will be intresting to see what  if anything comes out of the training ground on the attacking front. Hard to beat is one thing but you have to score goals. Looking forward to my day out. 

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Motherwell fans dont sound overly confident which is strange given the great start you have had.

I think that's probably as everything still feels a bit fragile - we have looked really good at times but we are still - massively - a work in progress and it wouldn't take much to blow us off course.

We had a decent transfer window based on what we've seen so far and crucially, had our squad more or less complete before some of our peers had signed anyone and I think we are benefiting from that in this first round of fixtures as a lot of clubs are still finding their feet. If we win on Saturday (and to be clear, we are totally capable of that), then we'll be averaging 2 points a game and it will start to be difficult to play it down. 

Actually I am quite confident. 

We are WELL capable of fucking up and certainly against St Mirren. 

But I believe we are on the cusp of greatness. A good mix in the squad with an excellent Manager to boot. 

At some point St Mirren strikers will hit the back of the net. Law of averages and all that. 

I will  go for 2-0 the might WELL.

14 hours ago, ropy said:

Guile or ball trapped between his feet?

Either or- if he’s got no idea what’s he doing then what hope does the defender have!

In all seriousness, Hylton was a bit of disappointment when the real stuff started. I think most of us felt he looked best placed of the new forwards to make an immediate impact. 

From what I’d watched when he signed and what I’d seen in the League Cup he looked like he had shades of Marv about him- pace, strength, bit of skill and he seemed a tidy finisher as well.

However he didn’t start well and that Hearts League Cup game was a real eye opener, he looked absolutely miles out his depth that night. Since then though he’s had some impressive cameos off the bench, obviously scored against Hibs and Hearts so there’s signs that he’s adapting to this level. 

Reckon he’s probably earned another start and as I said, I don’t think taking Seedorf out for a game or two would do him any harm at this stage either.