Arbroath vs Clyde

BullyWeeLad

This result comes as absolutely no surprise; Arbroath's fans bizarrely seem to think they are some sort of revolutionary part-time outfit on the basis of them cantering the weakest third-tier in at least a generation last season. This season, it's by far the strongest it has been in that time, and The Famous Bully Wee still look set to make a splash. 

On 08/10/2019 at 11:48, Smokerson said:

If you are losing 2-0 at home to Montrose I would think there is  lot to be worried about in our squad. We romped your league last year and are currently doing well in the championship.

Hiya pal

ONLY losin 2-0 to us is the biggest news yer wee toon's had since someone stole an ornament out the Keptie pond in August

👋👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👈

On 08/10/2019 at 09:46, C. Muir said:

Can imagine if this was the semi final or, if we were in the same division, a match where Arbroath could clinch a title. Arbroath fans not bothered or excited by it because of an opposition player :lol: 

Onto the game I look at Arbroaths squad and don't see much to worry about but they're obviously where they are on merit so won't underestimate them as such. We were pish on Saturday against Angus II and will need a big improvement. Goodie back in for Smith and I would sit Love out this one aswell as he's looking more and more unfit/injured each week. Not sure whod I'd replace him with at left mid though that would give McNiff the same protection. 

So I've changed my mind. I will underestimate them now. They're shit.

Can’t believe Howie was credited with the second goal in the stadium. I don’t think he was even in the same half [emoji23].

Played the conditions and Arbroath very well. Arbroath’s tactic of hitting the ball as hard as possible the way they were facing didn’t look like ever troubling us.

I went thinking today would be tight but it was a very straight forward win. A few tough teams left but nothing to say we can’t reach the semi finals.

Can’t believe Howie was credited with the second goal in the stadium. I don’t think he was even in the same half [emoji23].

Think this got about the only smile of the day on the terraces for Arbroath fans :lol: Announcer got the shirt number right at least

Fairly routine win that. Got the early goal and never looked like conceding, with Goodwillie putting Johnston through on goal to round the 'keeper and net. Smith had as much time as you could ever hope to have to finish a one-on-one and hit it against the 'keeper, from a superb Goodwillie pass. We should have had a penalty after the break when Rumsby had his shirt pulled in the box but in the referee's defence he was the opposite side of the incident. Sealed the victory with a good counter attack which ended with Wallace's cross being put into his own net by a home defender, with Smith nearby. Arbroath only really looked like they would score with the last kick of the game but it was cleared off the line.

Arbroath were absolutely rank. Won the toss and chose to kick into the wind first half (it died considerably after the break). Tactics in possession were to pass the ball about at the back, then punt to a guy who is only behind Jordyn Sheerin as the most overweight player in the leagues and our midfield mopped up every second ball. Either that or the big cross field pass straight out of play that in those conditions goes straight out of play half the time. I thought Kader was rubbish in League 2 and he's even worse up a level. Even when Linn was brought on the ball was sailing over his head time and time again. 

It's hard to pick out a man of the match for Clyde. A solid, unspectacular performance from 1-11, with good contributions from the substitutes. With Arbroath relying on the long ball, I'd give it to Cuddihy (who played as part of a midfield three, with Lyon at full-back) or McStay for the number of second balls they picked up. A game like that just re-emphasises the improvement with Mitchell in goals; his handling and dealing with crosses was impeccable with the swirling wind. Back four did well to keep basically everything in front of them. Midfield trio were sharp and outplayed their opponents. Goodwillie was class in the first half and held the ball up well after the break. The floodgates will open for Smith at some point; he gets into too many good positions for him not to start scoring eventually.

Into a quarter final. Whilst frustrating to now have a midweek trip to East Fife, we could easily have a home tie with an Elgin or Stenny for a place in a semi-final. Wouldn't count us out in any one-off tie to be honest.

Umm... Guys? Can we just talk about diversity for one moment how Ross Lyon actually does have excellent recovery pace?

The man's everything David W wanted Phil Johnston to be. Cleverly deployed to counteract the Arbroath's pace which, today, happened to be latent. If he gets a couple of seasons in as a full-back and does a bit of gym work, we could have a stonking good player there.

Thought Mitchell was excellent today.

Whereas last season most opposition corners would be hit under our crossbar with Currie flapping, Mitchell just catches the ball or punches the ball well clear relieving any pressure.

He really is an excellent goalie that must breed confidence in our defence.

Smith looks like he's struggling for confidence but kept working hard

No failures today with the added bonus for me of a good Wallace performance when called upon.

I feared the worse when the draw was made but Arbroath's form seems to have fallen off a cliff.

They were honking.

8 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

The bold Rankin on the bench. You love to see it.

On this, I'm not sure he was ever going to be involved on the pitch. Seemed during the warm-up and match to take on more of a role as assistant manager (I think Moore wasn't there?).

Gutted I couldn't make this one. Arbroath is one of 4 SFL stadiums I have not visited but unfortunately I had to go to a 1st birthday party... Simply not allowed 😭

Cracking result in a hard location against a decent Arbroath, more than happy with that!

Do Arbroath still have Harry Potter at the games?