All Under One Banner Edinburgh

jester

7 hours ago, Malky3 said:

£12.6Bn split by the population of Scotland = £2300 per head of population. 

Whether I can afford it or not I have no interest in paying it. Neither, I venture, will most Scots. 

You really are something special.

Are you suggesting Scotland should remain in a political union with another country that runs up £12.6bn of debt in Scotlands name each and every year? Presumably you don't think this will ever need to be paid back somehow and that Scotlands alleged share of UK debt will just continue to grow forever?

Also, the £2300 per head of population statement is nonsense. Because as we all know, this isn't something that is shared out equally by head of the population. It's like saying that because the UK is considered one of the richest countries in the world, everybody living here is one of the richest people in the world. It completely ignores wealth inequality.

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

£12.6 billion? Last week it was £13bn.

Quite clear the Scottish Government are making huge inroads, Imagine what they could do to that deficit black hole if we were independent and had full fiscal control!

Would be wiped out in just over 30 weeks. All other nations will be swarming all over Scotland to see how they enacted this miracle.

8 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

It's like saying that because the UK is considered one of the richest countries in the world, everybody living here is one of the richest people in the world. It completely ignores wealth inequality.

That's exactly what he is saying.

On 09/10/2019 at 18:32, Malky3 said:

Eh no. Independence will never happen because it would cost every man, woman, child and gender undecided around £2000 a year each.

The fact that many nationalists are generally reprehensible anti-democratic authoritarian twats who detest political debate only serves to double down on the reason never to let nationalists ruin our country. 

says the biggest nationalist on here. once more. whooooosh. 

On 10/10/2019 at 02:24, BawWatchin said:

You really are something special.

Are you suggesting Scotland should remain in a political union with another country that runs up £12.6bn of debt in Scotlands name each and every year? Presumably you don't think this will ever need to be paid back somehow and that Scotlands alleged share of UK debt will just continue to grow forever?

Also, the £2300 per head of population statement is nonsense. Because as we all know, this isn't something that is shared out equally by head of the population. It's like saying that because the UK is considered one of the richest countries in the world, everybody living here is one of the richest people in the world. It completely ignores wealth inequality.

"Something special"? Surely that would be giving your newly independent Scottish Government a budget that is £12.6Bn less than they currently get and then expecting them to deliver with more houses for the homeless. They might deliver on less wealth inequality right enough....raising taxes so much that the wealthy move away hitting tax revenues further. Yep the race to be equally poor would really be on. 

Poverty in Scotland today is nothing like the poverty you see across the world. For most who fall below the poverty line in Scotland it means one trip to Turkey per year to stock up on fags. 

12 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

"Something special"? Surely that would be giving your newly independent Scottish Government a budget that is £12.6Bn less than they currently get and then expecting them to deliver with more houses for the homeless. They might deliver on less wealth inequality right enough....raising taxes so much that the wealthy move away hitting tax revenues further. Yep the race to be equally poor would really be on. 

Poverty in Scotland today is nothing like the poverty you see across the world. For most who fall below the poverty line in Scotland it means one trip to Turkey per year to stock up on fags. 

See the source image

31 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:
45 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
I was pretty shielded from what poverty looks like till I did some door chapping, one guy who stood out had just got back from some cash in hand work somewhere, he obviously needed riggers but had worn trainers all day so his feet were soaked, he'd made enough money to put his meter on for heat and electricity, and get some food to last him about a week. He was quite sanguine about it all too.

Same. I first got involved as a wee oblivious student w****r and canvassing in particular opened my eyes. People answering the door to me wearing multiple jackets in their own houses to avoid putting the heating on, or being reluctant to register to vote in case it let the bailiffs find them. It's out there if you've eyes to see it.

I was in a houses in Glasgow east, where  banister and alternate stair boards had been taken off to burn.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I was pretty shielded from what poverty looks like till I did some door chapping, one guy who stood out had just got back from some cash in hand work somewhere, he obviously needed riggers but had worn trainers all day so his feet were soaked, he'd made enough money to put his meter on for heat and electricity, and get some food to last him about a week. He was quite sanguine about it all too.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:
1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Same. I first got involved as a wee oblivious student w****r and canvassing in particular opened my eyes. People answering the door to me wearing multiple jackets in their own houses to avoid putting the heating on, or being reluctant to register to vote in case it let the bailiffs find them. It's out there if you've eyes to see it.

Are those really examples of poverty? Multiple jackets and enough food to last a week?

Time to get Bob Geldof back out there to ask those lucky b*****ds in Africa to save poor Scotland...... 

f**k sake! 

4 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Are those really examples of poverty? Multiple jackets and enough food to last a week?

Time to get Bob Geldof back out there to ask those lucky b*****ds in Africa to save poor Scotland...... 

f**k sake! 

Yes Stu, of course they are examples of poverty.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yes Stu, of course they are examples of poverty.

Well if it is its proof that Scottish poverty is way better than poverty around the world. 

One guy was wearing trainers instead of boots. Thats personal choice. No need for rigger boots - theres plenty of safety boot brands out there including pairs that are trainers. Hes also got sufficient food to last a week. Another had multiple jackets and no heating.....another hiding from bailiffs no doubt cause the blew money that the borrowed and dont want to pay back. 

None of these examples included an analysis of what else they spend money on or of how much they earn or spend. 

For example although I have savings I don't like to spend more than I earn in a month. We're just back from holiday and we spent more than we should have so for the next two weeks we'll cut back on eating out, on non essential driving and on going to football matches. Not that I'm claiming to be poverty stricken but neither were those other examples. 

Edited by Malky3

2 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Hes also got sufficient food to last a week.

But doesn't get any more money for a fortnight.

another hiding from bailiffs no doubt cause the blew money that the borrowed and dont want to pay back. 

Oh, and your evidence for that is? 

We're just back from holiday

I hope it fucking rained.

31 minutes ago, GordonD said:

But doesn't get any more money for a fortnight.

Oh, and your evidence for that is? 

I hope it fucking rained.

1. It was cash in hand work so what makes you think he wasn't getting money for another fortnight? He might be working again for cash the day after too..... 

2. The same evidence that you have that the guy in trainers wouldn't get more money for a fortnight 

3. Nope. Wonderful weather all fortnight. Each day we'd check our CCTV cameras at home and see it was raining. I'd turn to the missus and say I hope these "All Under One Banner" wankers are soaked to the skin. 

While we were away we noticed that those SNP wankers made it even more expensive to be Scottish too. Maybe they think we drive to work as a choice rather than getting a taxi from home paid for by the taxpayer like they do. 

25 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I hadn't thought about the not wanting to be on the electoral roll to avoid bailiffs thing, I think that's probably also a good argument against voter ID too.

Why would you want the government to help people evade the law? 

Bailiffs aren't a thing in Scotland.

Companies can send folk round but they have zero legal right to enter your home and zero legal right to remove anything. You can simply tell them to bolt or even not open the door. 

A lot of folk aren't aware of this and panic and end up paying a sum they can't afford on their doorstep.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Bailiffs aren't a thing in Scotland.

Companies can send folk round but they have zero legal right to enter your home and zero legal right to remove anything. You can simply tell them to bolt or even not open the door. 

A lot of folk aren't aware of this and panic and end up paying a sum they can't afford on their doorstep.

True we don't have bailifs but we do have sheriff officers who have full court powers. Debt collectors are the same in Scotland and England 

I once met a guy who claimed that he was homeless. Upon further inspection, I found that he had constructed a shelter from cardboard boxes, therefore he wasn't really 'homeless' was he.

I am very clever.