All Under One Banner Edinburgh

jester

Just now, Day of the Lords said:
2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
Anyone not of the SNP or any other party outside of a hopefully resurgent Scottish Labour Party.

Tbf, that's not a realistic scenario, even in the next 5 years.

I live in hope that there will be a realignment in Scottish politics and a new fresh left of centre Labour party emerges.

Just now, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Well. If you arent going to debate seriously then there is no point in talking at all.

Okay so will now debate seriously.....

Do you think Richard Leonard  would make a good Prime Minister of Scotland?

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Okay so will now debate seriously.....

Do you think Richard Leonard  would make a good Prime Minister of Scotland?

Definitely not. I hope for and expect a realignment of the left in Scottish politics and a new fresh Labour type party to emerge, although I fully expect the SNP to win the first Scottish GE after  as the party who delivered independence basking in their glory.

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Definitely not. I hope for and expect a realignment of the left in Scottish politics and a new fresh Labour type party to emerge, although I fully expect the SNP to win the first Scottish GE after  as the party who delivered independence basking in their glory.

I would suggest that a Nicola Sturgeon led SNP is well left of centre. In an independent Scotland I would fully expect the Tories to provide the main opposition, given that they would be anxious to capture the Scottish vote in farming and fishing areas. Not sure what areas Scottish Labour would target.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I would suggest that a Nicola Sturgeon led SNP is well left of centre. In an independent Scotland I would fully expect the Tories to provide the main opposition, given that they would be anxious to capture the Scottish vote in farming and fishing areas. Not sure what areas Scottish Labour would target.

I would disagree that SNP are well left of centre.

6 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Far enough left to capture multitudes of former Labour voters.

Come and join us mate, you'll be made more than welcome!

Final serious question. You know Scottish Labour are opposed to independence. What about you? Do you agree with that, or are you looking forward to the day when Scotland is independent and politics reverts to its more traditional values of fighting around right, left and centre?

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Was there yesterday and it was the first march I have been on. I was very surprised at the lack of Unionist protestors, wouldn’t be surprised if your number of 30 was spot on. Virtually no protest against it at all.

They were standing at the Tron, obviously hoping to stir up trouble so that would dominate the headlines. The part of the march I was on simply laughed at them and started singing "Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio..."

Biggest surprise was seeing this:

OF United.jpg

12 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Far enough left to capture multitudes of former Labour voters.

Come and join us mate, you'll be made more than welcome!

Final serious question. You know Scottish Labour are opposed to independence. What about you? Do you agree with that, or are you looking forward to the day when Scotland is independent and politics reverts to its more traditional values of fighting around right, left and centre?

I quit the Labour party to start supporting independence.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

I agree, but many of the SNP Holyrood policies are far more socially progressive than anything the Labour Party in Scotland would do.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Joanna Cherry is not leadership material.

I don’t know her politics but reckon she’d be pretty right wing.

She reminds me of the ‘conservative’ SNP people who were kicking around when I was active in politics.

I live in hope that there will be a realignment in Scottish politics and a new fresh left of centre Labour party emerges.
I pretty much agree with the above. I'd place the SNP slightly left of centre though, not massively left.

In the event of a successful indy vote that there would be a considerable realignment in Scottish politics. A completely separate labour party (not the current branch office) could be highly relevant in the post-indy scene. The problem of course is where they get effective politicians from. Thundering imbeciles like Leonard, Jackie Baillie, Anais Sarwar etc etc aren't going to cut it.

Would the Tories become more moderate? Or would they fiercely campaign to rejoin the union? They surely wouldn't still have the utterly risible Jackson Carlaw as party leader. Would Colonel Cosplay make a return?

Will anyone still care about the Lib Dems?

It would certainly be a hugely fascinating period in Scottish politics.

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I pretty much agree with the above. I'd place the SNP slightly left of centre though, not massively left.

In the event of a successful indy vote that there would be a considerable realignment in Scottish politics. A completely separate labour party (not the current branch office) could be highly relevant in the post-indy scene. The problem of course is where they get effective politicians from. Thundering imbeciles like Leonard, Jackie Baillie, Anais Sarwar etc etc aren't going to cut it.

Would the Tories become more moderate? Or would they fiercely campaign to rejoin the union? They surely wouldn't still have the utterly risible Jackson Carlaw as party leader. Would Colonel Cosplay make a return?

Will anyone still care about the Lib Dems?

It would certainly be a hugely fascinating period in Scottish politics.

Only in Shetland and Orkney.