Retro Slang

Dee Man

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Folk at school who wanted to have a few draws of someone else’s cigarette would often ask the person, “leave me twos” or if it was the very end it’d be “threes”. If they wanted a whole cigarette they’d ask, “crash me a fag”.

Or if some little tink was hanging about waiting to smoke the very last millimetre before it burned down to the filter, "Leave us the beef".

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Folk at school who wanted to have a few draws of someone else’s cigarette would often ask the person, “leave me twos” or if it was the very end it’d be “threes”. If they wanted a whole cigarette they’d ask, “crash me a fag”.

52 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Or if some little tink was hanging about waiting to smoke the very last millimetre before it burned down to the filter, "Leave us the beef".

In Montrose the last draw of a fag was called a nipper. As in "gie's yer nipper".

slasher - toilet
slash - a pish
swallae - alcohol
mokit - dirty
dour faced - miserable looking person
peely wally - pale or off looking skin

Swallae and sour faced are still pretty regular in my vernacular

My dad used to describe someone looking miserable as having "a face like fizz". I heard someone else use it years later and I said that they were the only person apart from my dad who'd ever used it.

That was a favourite of my gran, who also used to sniff my hair after I got out of the bath and say I smelled "like a poof's parlour".

Some things are best left in the past [emoji848]

21 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Pretty much covers how i talk 

BAB7835F-595F-40D4-B635-FF42724CC1BA.jpeg

seems to be a mixture of Geordie, Borders and East of Scotland in there- as you would expect for Berwick. Mind you I've heard "ackers" as slang on Steptoe and Son. 

anyway see that radge Heed, he'd cadge a reedge. What a geezapiece!

That was a favourite of my gran, who also used to sniff my hair after I got out of the bath and say I smelled "like a poof's parlour".

Some things are best left in the past [emoji848]

To the same effect my grandpa would say something smelt like “a Turkish brothel”.

On 01/10/2019 at 20:39, Dindeleux said:

I don't even know what 5-o means so you've totally lost me with that.

It means Police, after the show Hawaii 5-0.

But i've only ever heard it in US TV programmes, such as The Wire, hence me asking if you were confusing Ayrshire for Baltimore with hearing that phrase being used.

It's never funny when you've got to explain it...