Retro Slang

Dee Man

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Shanner for shite

E.g. "Yer car's a shanner" or "Philpy's trainers are shanners"

Shengis/shengus (rhyming with Genghis) for shite was always good.  I wonder if it developed from shan, rhymed with Genghis Khan and then re-adding the Sh-. Although it was more “That’s shengis” rather “that’s a shengis”. 

One of my mates tried to make  “Shakhtar” a thing (as in “that’s total Shakhtar”) but it didn’t catch on.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Shanner for shite

E.g. "Yer car's a shanner" or "Philpy's trainers are shanners"

I still use the word shanner on a near daily-basis to describe something that could also be termed a riddy or, if on Tayside, a minter. 

I haven't heard anyone use the term "plamf" as an insult for about 15 years. I always liked it but it seems to have died a death for good. 

"Haw you, ya fucking trumpet!"

"f**k you, ya fucking nudebook!"

"Get to f**k mate. That's noted." *makes writing movement with fingers using other hand's palm as the 'paper'*

"Smelt yer maw, ya p***k!" *slides index finger under nose*

^^^Uddingston Grammar School, every single day, 1989-1994.

Probably Fife ones but...”aye, just you dod on pal” meaning just you carry on with that or “yahoore sir! That c***s going like the clappers!” meaning crikey! That chap was going fast. I’ve made it my mission to bring back neebur/neebs as well.

43 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Probably Fife ones but...”aye, just you dod on pal” meaning just you carry on with that or “yahoore sir! That c***s going like the clappers!” meaning crikey! That chap was going fast. I’ve made it my mission to bring back neebur/neebs as well.

dad on.

45 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I'm also fighting the good fight keeping neebs in circulation