The hand of Goodie - Clyde vs Montrose

10 minutes ago, sydney said:

BWC, my point was that you couldn’t say that his decision was terrible because you had no idea why he made it. 

I’m totally neutral on the matter. I avoid discussing it. What I don’t avoid is a Clyde fan of many years (25 plus I think he said) being told not to come back because of his personal opinions. 

I fail to see how difficult it is to work out how he came to that conclusion. He read the story, he took a moral stance, possibly some personal circumstances were Involved, it seems easy to assess how he came to that conclusion. 

Not backing your team because you have some social justice war to fight and wrongly aim it at a cause justifies someone saying "dont come back" in my opinion but I can totally accept others will disagree with that. 

It's all about personal opinion in the end and if he wants to take that stance it is ultimately his choice, it's just sad that it's the club who is affected in the end. 

12 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I think if almost half your team are getting yellow carded plus one seeing red your reputation as being a bit dirty is probably about right. Accept it and enjoy your win.

I’m pretty sure that the red card was not an intentional elbow, be interesting to see the highlights to determine it, but fans are always going to see each incident through their own team tinted spectacles 

1 hour ago, RutherGlen said:

I was asking a question, hence the "?". You still haven't answered it. What is your opinion on those of us who do go every week to cheer on the team, and by extension, Goodwillie?

I don't care if you go to games and cheer him on. I'd go to games myself if I still lived in Scotland even though I personally wouldn't cheer him on.

1 minute ago, scottyxander said:

I don't care if you go to games and cheer him on. I'd go to games myself if I still lived in Scotland even though I personally wouldn't cheer him on.

Why wouldn't you cheer him on? You wouldn't want him to score or what? 

5 minutes ago, scottyxander said:

Yeah mate you got it. I don't want him to score goals or Clyde to win games and that's why I wouldn't cheer him on.

f**k me, you can't be this oblivious.

I'm just trying to get to the heart of this. I want him to score goals for the club hence why I cheer him on. My support for him on the park doesn't extend beyond this and has nothing to do with him as a person or his private affairs. So again, you'd happily attend the matches and will him to score for us to win but not actively support him as a player. Why?

Edited by RutherGlen

And your 5 yellow cards were for good, sporting behaviour no doubt? You are a big of a gang but you still deserved your victory. We were awful.
Did they dare to make a noise Ruther? GIRFUY[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

7 hours ago, Callous_Pint said:

As the game was nearing its conclusion, play somehow continued to deteriorate and challenges became nastier and nastier. A very ugly atmosphere had started to develop. Fearing for my own safety, I left Broadwood with 10 minutes or so still remaining and shan't be returning anytime soon. Suffice to say, I was not surprised in the slightest to hear of the late Montrose red card.

2/10.

Why would you be fearing for your own safety as a neutral at a Clyde v Montrose game ??

I’m pretty sure that the red card was not an intentional elbow, be interesting to see the highlights to determine it, but fans are always going to see each incident through their own team tinted spectacles 
I had a pretty good view of the red card and I thought it was deliberate.

Most obvious red card for an elbow I've seen for a long time.

I also didn't think Howie made the most of it.

26 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Because he's a fucking wimp presumably?

Perhaps, I just had a vision of an all out battle between the two sets of supporters in the Broadwood stands with him caught in the middle of it.

Edited by keptie

At the end of the day people have the right to form their own opinions on the matter and make a decision from there.

For me I'll always support him playing for Clyde. I wasnt there on the night in question - none of us were - and only the 3 people who were there that night know the circumstances leading up to what happened and the incident itself.

The fact there was insufficient evidence for the case to go to a criminal court has had the biggest bearing on me forming my opinion on the matter. 

If you dont want to come to games because Goodwillie plays for us then that's fine. Just the same as those of us who do still go and cheer when he scores can do just the same.

I just hope he continues to silence opposition fans every week with the level of his performances and the amount of goals he scores.

Montrose had a game plan and it worked a treat. The fouling was definitely a part of it. When you need points you do what has to be done and I'd be disappointed if the roles were reversed if we didn't show the same fight. Montrose were simply better in all areas of the field in footballing terms and the most appropriate word from this thread to describe Clyde was sluggish. This was the type of game we really missed Rankins energy and leadership.  

15 hours ago, C. Muir said:

We must be the only team in the world who's u21s aren't linked to the senior side. Could've been beneficiary having a couple of pacy youngsters on the bench rather than bringing Duffie on at 0-2 down. 

Agreed.  A few of us were speaking about this earlier in the week.  Had a look at the club website just to try & figure out what the youth set up is & still not really any the wiser.

There's a lot of stuff about the foundation work, basically a PR exercise which if combined with a wider community engagement exercise seems fine.  There's then "Project Braver" with its various aims, one of which is to lead the "Under 23's" to the first team. 

Separately on social media, we had the "Under 21's" advertising they'd a game on the outside pitches a couple hours before the kick off with Montrose, so maybe Clyde fans would like to support that - begs the question, what for?  Are these lads who are directly in line to make the move into the first team, or some a.n.other with Clyde in the name?

We're not talking here about U15s or U16s.   By 21, let alone 23, if they're good enough they should be ready to make the step up.  So I really don't know, & the fact nobody so far has been able to give a definitive answer to this is pretty telling.  It seems highly unlikely to me that a manager like Danny, with absolutely no attacking options on his bench yesterday & less numbers than Montrose, wouldn't have put a couple of promising youngsters there if he was in a position to do so.

But if anyone knows exactly what the situation is with these U21 & U23 sides, go right ahead......

29 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Agreed.  A few of us were speaking about this earlier in the week.  Had a look at the club website just to try & figure out what the youth set up is & still not really any the wiser.

There's a lot of stuff about the foundation work, basically a PR exercise which if combined with a wider community engagement exercise seems fine.  There's then "Project Braver" with its various aims, one of which is to lead the "Under 23's" to the first team. 

Separately on social media, we had the "Under 21's" advertising they'd a game on the outside pitches a couple hours before the kick off with Montrose, so maybe Clyde fans would like to support that - begs the question, what for?  Are these lads who are directly in line to make the move into the first team, or some a.n.other with Clyde in the name?

We're not talking here about U15s or U16s.   By 21, let alone 23, if they're good enough they should be ready to make the step up.  So I really don't know, & the fact nobody so far has been able to give a definitive answer to this is pretty telling.  It seems highly unlikely to me that a manager like Danny, with absolutely no attacking options on his bench yesterday & less numbers than Montrose, wouldn't have put a couple of promising youngsters there if he was in a position to do so.

But if anyone knows exactly what the situation is with these U21 & U23 sides, go right ahead......

From what I understand the 21s are run under the community foundation which is a separate entity from the club but they use our name. Maybe I'm wrong though just going from what I have read. 

11 hours ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Seems like a terrible decision In my opinion. 

You've basically decided on very poor evidence the guy is guilty when there was zero criminal conviction. 

When even the CPS arent touching it you might want to question the quality of the evidence. 

I dont for a second think anyone in the case is lying, I think it was a drunk mistake by all involved yet he has been hounded for it. 

Do what you wish but I genuinely think Goodwillie has been ridiculously unfairly treated and anyone who's ever had a one night stand needs to really consider there stance on this if they refuse to watch Clyde because of him. 

The CPS doesn't exist in Scotland and you don't seem to understand the level of proof needed to refer for a trial and reach a verdict.

eta, No surprise to see Gunther slithering around here.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson