The hand of Goodie - Clyde vs Montrose

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Yes, I did. I made a decision and stuck by it.

I’ve never made a big deal of it, and never said that others should come to the same conclusion. I fully realise that we might have been dead and buried without him, and I rarely missed a game for 25 + years until then.

I know how good a player he is, and I know I couldn’t not jump up and celebrate when he scored. I would hate myself for that so have removed myself from that temptation.

Seems like a terrible decision In my opinion. 

You've basically decided on very poor evidence the guy is guilty when there was zero criminal conviction. 

When even the CPS arent touching it you might want to question the quality of the evidence. 

I dont for a second think anyone in the case is lying, I think it was a drunk mistake by all involved yet he has been hounded for it. 

Do what you wish but I genuinely think Goodwillie has been ridiculously unfairly treated and anyone who's ever had a one night stand needs to really consider there stance on this if they refuse to watch Clyde because of him. 

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

If it helps, I have no opinion on them, and think everyone makes decisions for their own reasons.

Most of the decisions I make in life could be questioned by someone. For instance, I eat meat, and a vegan might not like that. Provided the vegan isn’t forcing me to stop, I’m cool with that.

Do I think Clyde were right to sign Goodwillie? Yes, and as I said he probably saved us. Would I celebrate him scoring for us? Hell yes. Would I hate myself afterwards? Yes, I would. My issue, not yours.

I appreciate the response. For me it's all about the club over individuals and I think most football clubs have had questionable playing personnel at one time or another so we're far from unique in that respect. I genuinely hope you can find a way of attending games without hating yourself for celebrating Goodwillie's goals but if not, see you back at Broadwood when he moves to pastures new!

2 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

You've basically decided on very poor evidence the guy is guilty when there was zero criminal conviction. 

When even the CPS arent touching it you might want to question the quality of the evidence. 

I dont for a second think anyone in the case is lying, I think it was a drunk mistake by all involved yet he has been hounded for it. 

Do what you wish but I genuinely think Goodwillie has been ridiculously unfairly treated and anyone who's ever had a one night stand needs to really consider there stance on this if they refuse to watch Clyde because of him. 

I largely agree with you in terms of Goodwillie's case but I don't see the point in having a go at Wee Bully. He isn't judging any of us for continuing to attend games and has been quite clear that this is just a personal "issue" for him. You can't always help the way you feel.

3 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I largely agree with you in terms of Goodwillie's case but I don't see the point in having a go at Wee Bully. He isn't judging any of us for continuing to attend games and has been quite clear that this is just a personal "issue" for him. You can't always help the way you feel.

I get that which is why I wanted to stress it was all my opinion and he is free to do as he wishes. 

The whole Goodwillie issue just really annoys me because it never seems to go away and he hasn't even had the chance to be found innocent in court. 

I'm not just saying this because he plays for clyde either, theres other cases which just arent fair either. 

The guys career has been ruined because three people had a drunken mistake, doesnt seem fair. 

I appreciate the response. For me it's all about the club over individuals and I think most football clubs have had questionable playing personnel at one time or another so we're far from unique in that respect. I genuinely hope you can find a way of attending games without hating yourself for celebrating Goodwillie's goals but if not, see you back at Broadwood when he moves to pastures new!

Thanks. I’ll be back then (or at other games when I know I can be there)

Thanks for your response.

Given the CPS don’t operate in Scotland, please forgive me for applying my own legal knowledge to my own moral decisions, rather than yours.

Your decisions are your own. And I’m not judging them. Nice of you to judge mine.

9 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

I have no view or opinion on what happened with Goodwillie or indeed other players who have been involved in such incidents. Why ? Because I know nothing about it and it’s frankly none of my business. Others however do have an opinion and it matters to them. You have yours and Wee Bully has his. I don’t think frankly you can accuse him of a terrible decision when you know nothing about why he has formed his view. To be honest I respect him because he has made a decision and stuck by it, despite the fact that he clearly wants to watch the club he supports. 

Great performance by Montrose today, a thoroughly deserved 3 points, every player full of effort and endeavour. 

Thought game was reasonably close up until the penalty and second goal so quickly afterwards wrapped it up. 

Reading through previous posts i don’t think Montrose players ‘left a boot in’. We seem to be getting a reputation from opposition fans of being a team that kicked players off the park which is something I struggle to see. Yes we had a red card but I’m sure the highlights package will show there was no intention by Rennie. Clyde keeper lucky not to see red for kicking out. 

All in all a good day at the office. Youngsters bringing much needed pace to the team, Sena had a good game when he came on, Watson unlucky to be replaced by him. Lyons was superb again, looking forward to see Struthers get some action. 

4 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

How many times will we need to read the same conversation about Goodwillie. 

Probably for as long as he is a Clyde player. In my view, I hope this is for some time yet.

To be fair, this was a slightly different conversation, inspired by someone suggesting that a supporter shouldn’t come back because he’d taken a personal view on the matter and come back today because Goodie wasn’t playing. Guy’s obviously back because he’s dying to support the club but has personal views that mean he can’t while Goodie is here. Effectively telling him to piss off is feckin poor. 

I had the displeasure of attending this one as a neutral today. What I had expected to be an exciting clash between the two sides turned out to be a very bitter, boring affair. Recollecting the game presently, large periods of it have been consigned to the mire of monotony in my mind, including both the goals (and excluding one celebration, which I shall come back to later).

I was however impressed with the set up of the Montrose side today. Although not particularly easy on the eye at times, it was highly effective against a sluggish Clyde side. Reminiscent of John Coughlin's famous Berwick team of the 2016/17 season, it is a brand of football which I have come to thoroughly admire if used correctly. Montrose's number 8 Paul Watson dominated the midfield and successfully broke up play time and time again. One of few men on the field who got pass marks today, I was disheartened to see him subbed early in the second half after tactically acquiring a yellow card to halt a Clyde attack. 

As for Clyde, the whole team appeared to have trouble right from kick-off. Marred by a widespread inability to run, any early attempts to move into the opposition half with possession were easily snuffed out by Montose's able-bodied players.

One standout performer was Darren Smith - Clyde's number 9. Offside on no less than five occasions by my own count, perhaps Danny Lennon should consider hiring him his very own positioning coach.

Much of the game was highly forgettable but there are a few incidents which stick in the head for all the wrong reasons.

One such incident was Montrose's number 7, Graham Webster, masquerading as one of the game's pivotal players. After converting a penalty (his only contribution to the game other than a horror tackle) he attempted to rile up the home side support in a totally unprovoked display which was as shameful as it was embarrassing.

As for the tackle itself, a straight red would surely have been a suitable punishment. Rash, reckless and on the opposition goalkeeper of all players, I thought his time was surely up. Instead of the red, the referee only booked the offender, with a yellow also inexplicably brandished to the victim for good measure.

As the game was nearing its conclusion, play somehow continued to deteriorate and challenges became nastier and nastier. A very ugly atmosphere had started to develop. Fearing for my own safety, I left Broadwood with 10 minutes or so still remaining and shan't be returning anytime soon. Suffice to say, I was not surprised in the slightest to hear of the late Montrose red card.

2/10.

19 minutes ago, sydney said:

I have no view or opinion on what happened with Goodwillie or indeed other players who have been involved in such incidents. Why ? Because I know nothing about it and it’s frankly none of my business. Others however do have an opinion and it matters to them. You have yours and Wee Bully has his. I don’t think frankly you can accuse him of a terrible decision when you know nothing about why he has formed his view. To be honest I respect him because he has made a decision and stuck by it, despite the fact that he clearly wants to watch the club he supports. 

Yeah that'll be why I added "in my opinion" 

Of course he is entitled to his opinion and to take a stance, no issue with that. Others also have the right to say they disagree with it though and explain why. 

2 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

Reading through previous posts i don’t think Montrose players ‘left a boot in’. We seem to be getting a reputation from opposition fans of being a team that kicked players off the park which is something I struggle to see. Yes we had a red card but I’m sure the highlights package will show there was no intention by Rennie. Clyde keeper lucky not to see red for kicking out.  

And your 5 yellow cards were for good, sporting behaviour no doubt? You are a big of a gang but you still deserved your victory. We were awful.

6 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

And your 5 yellow cards were for good, sporting behaviour no doubt? You are a big of a gang but you still deserved your victory. We were awful.

Are any yellow cards for good sporting behaviour? I’ll agree Watson’s was a deliberate foul to prevent a counter attack and Webster was a little late on your keeper but I’d have been more annoyed if any player never challenged a keeper with the ball at his feet outside the box 

Edited by broomiesniper

2 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

Great performance by Montrose today, a thoroughly deserved 3 points, every player full of effort and endeavour. 

Thought game was reasonably close up until the penalty and second goal so quickly afterwards wrapped it up. 

All in all a good day at the office. Youngsters bringing much needed pace to the team, Sena had a good game when he came on, Watson unlucky to be replaced by him. Lyons was superb again, looking forward to see Struthers get some action. 

Can't disagree about the Montrose performance. It's our first defeat at Broadwood since last November. It's only the second away clean sheet at Broadwood since January 2018. No doubt we will play better but Montrose take a huge amount of credit.

However, there's no doubt that you were fouling all over the pitch. It was clearly part of your game plan. I don't have an issue with that; it knocked us out of trying to build up any rhythm. A player booked for persistent fouling after 37 minutes, Watson booked for taking out a Clyde player (just a minute after Callaghan had got away with a similar one), the tackle on Mitchell was a shocker and probably should have brought a red card each.

I thought Howie made the most of the red card which was given.

1 minute ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Yeah that'll be why I added "in my opinion" 

Of course he is entitled to his opinion and to take a stance, no issue with that. Others also have the right to say they disagree with it though and explain why. 

BWC, my point was that you couldn’t say that his decision was terrible because you had no idea why he made it. 

I’m totally neutral on the matter. I avoid discussing it. What I don’t avoid is a Clyde fan of many years (25 plus I think he said) being told not to come back because of his personal opinions. 

8 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

Are any yellow cards for good sporting behaviour? I’ll agree Watson’s was a deliberate foul to prevent a counter attack and Webster was a little late on your keeper but I’d have been more annoyed if any player never challenged a keeper with the ball at his feet outside the box 

I think if almost half your team are getting yellow carded plus one seeing red your reputation as being a bit dirty is probably about right. Accept it and enjoy your win.

3 minutes ago, David W said:

Can't disagree about the Montrose performance. It's our first defeat at Broadwood since last November. It's only the second away clean sheet at Broadwood since January 2018. No doubt we will play better but Montrose take a huge amount of credit.

However, there's no doubt that you were fouling all over the pitch. It was clearly part of your game plan. I don't have an issue with that; it knocked us out of trying to build up any rhythm. A player booked for persistent fouling after 37 minutes, Watson booked for taking out a Clyde player (just a minute after Callaghan had got away with a similar one), the tackle on Mitchell was a shocker and probably should have brought a red card each.

I thought Howie made the most of the red card which was given.

What I simply couldn’t understand was that there was no need for it. The challenge on Mitchell was ridiculous but Montrose were 2 up with 10 minutes to go. The sending off again was ridiculous. Why even go into a challenge like that when you’re 2-0 up with 3 or 4 minutes to go ? 

Montrose were very ‘robust’ but that’s not why we lost the game.