Livingston v Celtic

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

To be honest the Betfred cup is an excellent warm up for a number of Premierships sides (well those that didn't qualify for Europe). We had a bit of a stuttering start but it gave us an excellent chance to figure out what worked and what didn't; far more than a series of pointless friendlies could ever have done.

The championship and other league sides really take the games as serious competitive games and, as such, you need to be on the top of your game to avoid an upset.

Livvy are a welcome club to the top flight,making the spaghettihad one of the hardest places to go to get a result for Celtic.
They play to their strengths with the resources available,probably a harder place than ibrox or pitrodrie  for Celtic. 

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

Everything else aside can some one really confirm Christopher Jullien really cost Celtic £7 million?

I don't really like to single players out on one showing but, bl00dy hell, there must be a couple of dozen defenders currently playing in Scotland who are more competent and, just as importantly, don't get so easily wound-up.

Both Halkett and Gallagher left Livingston for free during the Summer; in my opinion both are head-and-shoulders above Jullien. To be honest I've seem better centre backs at Hamilton; Aberdeen, St. Mirren and even Ayr and Falkirk if I'm honest. Was that a heavy dose of complacency with thoughts of "its only Livingston".

As I say I'm not having a pop; he obviously can't have been that bad to justify the price tag or did Lennon have a complete brain f@rt when signing him?

One other thing though; I imagine quite a few clubs watching this will have noted just how easily he got wound up.

https://www.67hailhail.com/match/christopher-jullien-sets-the-tone-for-todays-celtic-match-vs-livingston-fans-respond/

He’s undoubtedly been one of the most celebrated defensive signings in recent years. It’d be hard to find supporters who do not think he is worth every penny of his multi-million pound summer deal.

Till he met Lyndon Dykes.:lol:

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's not about one or two clubs it's about giving teams momentum with favourable fixtures.
If you look at Motherwell's start to the season in the betfred cup it's no surprise the momentum from those games have carried on into their league form.
The imbalance of home and away fixtures for sevco in the league gives them momentum to carry forward.
No conspiracy just common sense.  

So are you saying that the team that are the bookies favourites in early June should be given the chance to build early season momentum rather than the bookies second favourites? Or are you saying that these two teams should be looked at differently from the other 10 teams and be given exactly the same start. You do realise that it is not possible to give all twelve teams exactly the same home and away starts to the season?

9 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's not about one or two clubs it's about giving teams momentum with favourable fixtures.
If you look at Motherwell's start to the season in the betfred cup it's no surprise the momentum from those games have carried on into their league form.
The imbalance of home and away fixtures for sevco in the league gives them momentum to carry forward.
No conspiracy just common sense.  

Surely none of this matters? As we all know Celtic players "will to win" is the most important variable in any title race and can overcome any odds they face domestically?

Smashing Livi performance, extremely poor Celtic performance, the sort of showing that concerned me during Lennon's first spell as gaffer.  Well done the home side. 

Aware that I'm bumping an old thread but I've been on holiday.  Weather was shite but I did enjoy myself, thanks for asking lads.