Your First Football Game

Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Think my dad told me to "bugger off iwth your pals down to Borough Briggs" sometime around 80/81.  Cant remember the first game though.

First trip to a proper stadium wasnt until a couple of years later when my dad drove us through to Pittodrie to find the game was off due to waterlogged pitch (was v Motherwell).  Instead it was a 1-0 victory v Celtic.

And what was the one at the proper stadium?

:ph34r:

Tomy Super Cup Football is, in fact, the greatest simulation of association football ever conceived. I believe I still have mine sequestered away somewhere.

First game was on 29/8/87 at the old Highfield Road in Coventry, the season after they won the FA Cup, to see Liverpool tear them apart 4-1, as I thought myself a Liverpool fan when I was a tiddler (turned out I was a Dalglish fan). Still got the 'FA Cup Winners' Coventry scarf that I picked up that day.

First Alloa game I remember was at the Recs against the Binos in 2006; I'd been before, but that's when I started going regularly and it was the first time with the wean, who was strapped to me in his papoose. The teams used to come out to The A-Team Theme at ear-splitting volume back in those days, the shock of which made the wean soil himself  :lol:

I remember my first game at Pittodrie being a high scoring game against St Johnstone  round about New Year in the early 70’s

And my first away game being a 3-0 win at Killie again in the early 70’s when we were staying with my Auntie in Glasgow during school holidays .

I’d always thought that the Pittodrie game was first, but from AFC Heritage it seems like the Killie game must’ve been the one on 9 October 1971 and the Saints game in January 1972 which we won 4-2. 

But I also remember being taken to Motherwell to see them play Hibs during school holidays and according to Wikipedia Motherwell drew 1-1 at home to Hibs on 2 October 1971.  So ,bizarrely it seems like my first big game didn’t even involve the Dons.

First time my old man allowed me to go and sit where I wanted to by myself at Pittodrie was a cold , dreich  , grey day in November 1973 for a game with Arbroath.  I can remember everyone being absolutely miserable , mainly because the news that King Joey Harper had been sold to Everton had literally just broken. The mood of the crowd wasn’t lifted by the game which was goalless , and the prospect of more of the same in future without the King loomed large.

Edited by A96

My first game was round about 1998 against Dundee. I brought a footballer that I had made out of Lego and spent more time playing with that than watching the game. I didn’t go to another game after that for about 10 years - I think that game was against Ross County. Other than being at McDiarmid I don’t remember anything about either games.

6 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Was talking about this with TRS the other night and we had no real idea what our first game was. No idea how some people seem to remember it so vividly. 

I know I was definitely at the League Cup final in 98 but I would’ve been six at the time and have pretty much zero memory of it.

So are we calling bullshit on the majority of poster in this thread then? I think thats probably the correct way to move forward tbh. 

It's not difficult to find out your first game when you can recall that it was your birthday, the opponents were Hamilton Accies and your team won 5-0.

I can mind my Dad accompanying me under some kind of duress. Mainly from me, as my pals at primary school were East Fife fans and possibly backed up by my Mum, whose father used to play for EF in by-gone days.

My Dad was a Dundee United man and for my seventh birthday I'd received an all tangerine kit. I'd hesitate to call it a United strip as there were no black facings on it and he was a complete tightwad (sorry Dad,  RIP etc).

Anyway, I covered this tangerine embarrassment up in case I bumped into any of my school pals and off we went to Bayview. Can mind walking up Wellesley Road  getting lifted over the turnstiles, the reek of pipe tobacco, the sight of the crowd congregated under the covered terracing from our wooden seat in the stand and player manager Pat Quinn running across blowing kisses after scoring a goal. 

How could you not fall in love with a club after such an introduction?

Edited by Angusfifer

10 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

League opener in August 1987. Dunfermline's first ever Premier Divison fixture. A 3-3 draw with Hibs in front of crowd of 13,500. I was 13 months old so obviously I have no recollection.

I'm not sure how regularly I attended from then but my first memory of being at the football was the play off at East End Park against Aberdeen at the end of 94/95 season.

I was at that game. It was quite a hot day. It wasn't my first though:

Dad once claimed he took me to Gayfield in the 1970s when I was very young (we lived in Arbroath at the time). I don't remember the occasion and it seems unlikely as the old man wasn't a football fan. 

The first game I remember going to was with a mate who was a Hibee. It was Hibs v Aberdeen in October 1986. A 1-1 draw. Gordon Chisholm scored for Hibs. Both managers were gone by Christmas- Blackley sacked and Ferguson off down south to obscurity. The highlights were on Sportscene that night, I'm sure we could see ourselves in the crowd (8,500- football wasn't very popular back then)

Went back for a game against Dundee in midweek with my mate. Hibs were stuffed 3-0!

My big sisters boyfriend took us to my first game, I would have been 10 or 11, which was Dunfermline playing in a European tie around 1968-9.

It was a midweek game and East End Park was packed to overflowing with people climbing the pylons to get a view. We were squashed down at pitch level.

Can’t remember the score but we got chips on the way home. My sister ditched him shortly afterwards and I ended up supporting Raith.

Edited by expatowner

My first game was early 2000’s. I remember Seyni N’Diaye scoring vs Killie. 
Crawford scored a pen as well iirc.

My dad had to talk me out of getting N’Diaye on the back of my top after that, “ you’ll never heard about him again “ so got Nicholson instead.. 

On 30/09/2019 at 09:59, Ross. said:

1990 Scottish Cup semi, Celtic v Clydebank is the first game I remember going to. Been told that I had previously been to Celtic Park and Kilbowie for matches but recall nothing about those games.

Started on the drink young, did you?

On 30/09/2019 at 11:51, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Think my dad told me to "bugger off iwth your pals down to Borough Briggs" sometime around 80/81.  Cant remember the first game though.

First trip to a proper stadium wasnt until a couple of years later when my dad drove us through to Pittodrie to find the game was off due to waterlogged pitch (was v Motherwell).  Instead it was a 1-0 victory v Celtic.

:o

On 30/09/2019 at 09:54, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Glentoran vs Portadown at the Oval in probably 1989 or 1990. And yes, it was every bit as shit as you'd imagine it would be. To top if all off, got back to the motor to find someone had panned the window in and I had to sit on broken glass on the road home. 

First match I saw in Northern Ireland involved Portadown, Coleraine v Portadown at the Coleraine Showgrounds in an Ulster Cup match. Either that or it was Glentoran v Glenavon at The Oval, 0-0, when I was visiting my aunt and uncle.

First match I was at was at Glebe Park, my father took me, I was 5 or 6, he had to take me home at half time!

Second match was Aberdeen v Falkirk, November 1963, 3-0 to The Dons.

Stirling Albion v Brechin City in a League Cup match in the August of 1983 I think (might still have been the groups then before they were scrapped) I'm told the Albion lost, I have no recollection of the game which I had no interest in , I was more enjoying scuffing my new school shoes around the ash track which left them near ruined and earned my dad a torrent of abuse from my mum. 

First Celtic game I attended was the 1985 Scottish Cup Final v Dundee United, in the papers that morning it was mentioned there was a cash gate behind the goal of the traditional Celtic end so dad drove through with me and my 17 year old brother, my only memory is of bodies flying everywhere as Celtic scored two late goals to win 2-1 on a dangerously overcrowded Hampden terrace. 

First game outwith Scotland was Liverpool 3 Luton Town 2 from October 1985, two goals from Paul Walsh and a free kick from Jan Molby right in front of us seated behind the goal at the Anfield Road end, my gran took me and my cousin to this as a joint treat.

My grandpa took me to Boghead to see Dumbarton play Hibs in early 80s.

Was years later that I had the thought that George Best might have been playing that day. Went back and checked the records but he'd left the season or so before. 

37 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Started on the drink young, did you?

Yes, but not that young...

Strange when I think about it. I remember the semi final clear enough, also the final and penalty shoot out that followed it, then Italia 90 after that and most games i attended since. Before that i have almost nothing in terms of football memories. I do remember watching the FA cup semi the year before(Hillsborough), though I don’t know if I watching it live or just the video footage on the news afterwards.

My first Saints game was the now infamous 1976 Scottish cup game at Motherwell under Fergie. It's the one Saints fans still cast up to Well fans about there being more Buddies there that day than their stadium can now accommodate. I remember it was packed with precious little proper segregation. Well won 2v1 I think.