Your First Football Game

Hedgecutter

Guest Moomintroll

Would have been a random game at Buffs Park as I lived across the road. First Senior game was Celtic 7 St Mirren 1 in the mid 80s, in my defence my older brother was trying to indoctrinate me but I successfully resisted.

02 August 1994 - Celtic v Flamengo at Hampden. Finished 2-2. Main memory is that they were dirty b*****ds - one of them Kung-Fu kicked a Celtic player and another was headbutting folk. No idea who scored. About a week later went to a game against Blackburn which Celtic won 1-0 with a Willie Falconer goal near the end. Blackburn went on to win the Premier League and Celtic finished fourth in the Premier Division. IIRC Sutton was playing but Shearer wasn't. 

Edited by The OP

My Grandad took me to see Dundee 2 Celtic 0 at Dens Park on 16 April 1960. Even though Alan Gilzean and Shug Robertson scored the goals the only thing I remember was that nearly 10 past Haffey was injured and Bobby Evans took over in goal in the pre-sub era. Didn’t realise that 9 of the Dundee line-up that day were regulars 2 seasons later when they finished champions.

we lived in Sheffield in the mad-late 70s,first game I remember going to was a league cup game between Sheffield united and Liverpool in,i think,1978.iirc utd were languishing near the bottom of D2 and Liverpool were flying high near top of D1,utd won 1-0.of particular note from the days when murdering someone on the pitch wouldn't even warrant a talking to was that 5 or 6 Liverpool players were booked-they wouldn't retreat a wall when being told to do so by the ref.

my old man tells me that he took me to elland road a few years beforehand to see leeds vs Fulham as George best was playing but if this is true I don't remember it,apparantly the terracing was so shallow even he couldn't see anything

surely this should be in the misc football page

Edited by highlandcowden

Not too sure. It was either Cowdenbeath v Pars on a trip with the Cubs. No idea about the score etc. We just ran about throwing stones/mud at each other. Or Pars v Brechin (about 1986). It was cold and miserable and about 300 folk there. Leishmanmania hadn't fully kicked in by then. 

Started getting taken to Petershill games in the late 70s, can't be too specific on the date but I can remember some players from 1978 or so when I would have been 7. Probably spent more time playing tig or playing in the trees behind the goal tbh for the first few years.

42 minutes ago, Eednud said:

My Grandad took me to see Dundee 2 Celtic 0 at Dens Park on 16 April 1960. Even though Alan Gilzean and Shug Robertson scored the goals the only thing I remember was that nearly 10 past Haffey was injured and Bobby Evans took over in goal in the pre-sub era. Didn’t realise that 9 of the Dundee line-up that day were regulars 2 seasons later when they finished champions.

Gilzean was a fantastic player. Can recall my father taking me to an evening fixture at Ibrox in the early 60s - Rangers v Dundee. 

Dundee won 3-2 thanks to a brilliant headed goal from Gilzean in the final minute. Think that was in the era of Ian Ure (or did he come later?) Alex Hamilton and Bert Slater.

The Rangers line up began with Ritchie, Shearer Caldow...

Happy daze!

First game was a early 70’s school night floodlit game against I think Morton at RP. Went with my mate and his dad and the only thing I remember about it was a bloke called Ian Fleming was playing.
Also a game at Somerset my uncle took me to Ayr v Rangers with John Gregg playing. He scored one and gave away a penalty too. I remember it because I was on sportscene later that night standing next to the corner flag.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

02 August 1994 - Celtic v Flamengo at Hampden. Finished 2-2. Main memory is that they were dirty b*****ds - one of them Kung-Fu kicked a Celtic player and another was headbutting folk. No idea who scored. About a week later went to a game against Blackburn which Celtic won 1-0 with a Willie Falconer goal near the end. Blackburn went on to win the Premier League and Celtic finished fourth in the Premier Division. IIRC Sutton was playing but Shearer wasn't. 

unnamed (11).gif

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Its often something that upsets me, my lack of detailed memories of when I was young. I often wonder if I am normal in that I have various memories of being at Brockville as a youngster but I cant really recall details of matches, who they were against etc etc. 

So no I camt remember my very first game and thanks for upsetting me you arsehole

Was talking about this with TRS the other night and we had no real idea what our first game was. No idea how some people seem to remember it so vividly. 

I know I was definitely at the League Cup final in 98 but I would’ve been six at the time and have pretty much zero memory of it.

Think my dad told me to "bugger off iwth your pals down to Borough Briggs" sometime around 80/81.  Cant remember the first game though.

First trip to a proper stadium wasnt until a couple of years later when my dad drove us through to Pittodrie to find the game was off due to waterlogged pitch (was v Motherwell).  Instead it was a 1-0 victory v Celtic.

League opener in August 1987. Dunfermline's first ever Premier Divison fixture. A 3-3 draw with Hibs in front of crowd of 13,500. I was 13 months old so obviously I have no recollection.

I'm not sure how regularly I attended from then but my first memory of being at the football was the play off at East End Park against Aberdeen at the end of 94/95 season.

5 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

My 1st game. Got the match Programme too.

I too had the match programme from my first game (the aforementioned Killie v Utd game), but I cut it to pieces to make a Pritt stick Killie celebratory poster in preparation for their Scottish Cup final win against Falkirk, this being to wind up my step-mum who was a Falkirk fan.  Following FT, she responded by grabbing it off of me, scrunching it up and then throwing it in the bin.  At least she took it well. 

I can’t say which was my earliest game, as I’ve forgotten a few. The earliest game I can definitely remember was a 1-2 defeat at home to St Mirren on 19th Sept 1992. Chic Charnley captained St Mirren and Gus McPherson captained Killie. I’m also sure that their winner was scored by a lad we let go the previous summer, Farrell if I remember.

Couldn't confidently nail down the first game I was at. It was probably a Queens Park game at Hampden. A neighbour used to take me and my brother sometimes.

Clear 'first' is the my first night game at Tynecastle. A 2-1 win over Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Cup in 1993. I absolutely loved it. We sat in the Main Stand, but I remember the sight of the packed terracing under the lights in the pishing rain and the noise when we scored. Unbelievable and left a huge impression on me.