Dumbarton vs Forfar

Great three points for us today. Thought in the first half we were absolutely tremendous, high pressing attacking football. Tumilty and Frizzell gave the Forfar number 8 a torrid time of it. 3 great goals, a great header by Neil who won absolutely everything today and two wonder goals from frizzell who clearly adds a bit of quality and class to our side.

Second half was a slow start and I feared the imminent arse collapse when Forfar scored but in the end we comfortably saw it out. Great to see the players throwing themselves at the ball and showing great desire. I felt Hutton never played a bad ball all day, Langan provided some great dig in the midfield and quitongo really dug in and played through injury in the second half.

What are Forfar all about btw. Elbows everywhere, shirt pulling and just generally a bit of a gang. The big carthorse wearing number 9 could possibly be the worst striker I’ve seen in the league, Carswell had the cigars out all afternoon against him.

4 minutes ago, FraserDFC said:

What are Forfar all about btw. Elbows everywhere, shirt pulling and just generally a bit of a gang. The big carthorse wearing number 9 could possibly be the worst striker I’ve seen in the league, Carswell had the cigars out all afternoon against him.

McLean is on loan to us as we have Hilson, Jackson and Currie out. Missing Hilson especially.

But we are a bit of a gang at the moment I agree.

That first half was ridiculously easy and Forfar turned in a seriously abject display. They improved in the second half whilst we decided to take our foot off the gas but we were never massively in danger of fucking it.

Big Neill was a collusus at the back, he gobbled up absolutely everything and I love his passion. Langan was also superb, hard in the tackle, quick breaking forward and made me eat my pre match words. I like the look of Frizzell and his two goals were very well taken. I thought Layne was pish and looked like he couldn't really be arsed.

Forfar were a right angry bunch. Forbes in particular spent the entire game bitching his fat wee arse off and I was delighted to see Carswell get him telt. Kirkpatrick wasn't much better. The lad Travis at the back was also prone to a hissy fit and his reaction towards Brennan was fully deserving of a backhander. Then we had that big lump of a keeper sprint half way across the pitch to have a go at Layne for slowly walking off the park after his substitution. The big streak of piss up front was lucky to stay on the pitch IMO. Not their finest day at the office, it must be said.

2 hours ago, Kwaka Mal said:
3 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:
Fire away.

Why wasn't Coupe on from the start?

2 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Mainly why are players unable to be dropped

Both fair questions. I'm still waiting for some end product from Coupe but he was worth another start -- him and Kirkpatrick appear to be having week about!?

I'm not sure what Weir does now. We need Hilson back as soon as that's for sure.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

Ironically I was saying before the match how Langan needed to be dropped. Probably his best game in a sons short today, starting to warm to him.

Forfar look like a carbon copy of us last year. Slow, lumbering with a shred of quality that doesn't get much chance to shine.
We were excellent in the first half and killed the game which was pleasing. I thought Morgan Neill, Hutton and McKee were all excellent, Frizzell's contribution can't be discounted either with two tremendous finishes, but I thought Ruaridh Langan bossed it. Won every 50/50 and burst forward when he could. If he continues improving we could have a player there.
4th spot is there for the taking this season from what I've seen so far.

That first-half was like watching 2018/19 Forfar Athletic v 2018/19 (under Aitken) Dumbarton. Forfar looked stodgy and disinterested all over the park, and we won every single thing in midfield. Hutton was excellent, McKee was excellent and wee Ruaridh Langan was smashing into everything and everyone who moved. It's weird that we've played him as an attacking midfielder so often this season because he looked an awful lot more comfortable defensively than he does going forward.

Frizzell obviously went all #DT23 a couple of times and looks a real livewire. Him and Tumilty is a very promising looking right-hand-side, and we'd do very well to keep both beyond January.

My Man of the Match (by an absolute mile) though was Morgyn Neill. He was absolutely superb. I know it's an overused cliche, but I genuinely don't think he lost a single header. Not one. He was bashing Russell McLean all over the shop, and it was no surprise to see McLean get frustrated and chuck an elbow at his big massive head. I love his passion too. Sure he's not the greatest with the ball at his feet (mild understatement) and sure he can have a mental moment, but he's settling into things nicely at the moment and I've really taken to him.

On the negative side? Well Brennan looked a wee bit wobbly, but still pulled off a couple of decent saves. Quitongo's distribution was absolutely brutal all game; defensively he actually did well up against Ross Forbes (who looked like he was hating life and must be pining for a return to the Rock imo...) but every time he had the ball at his feet I was getting James Creaney flashbacks. Isaac Layne's gone well off the boil too. He won very little in the air, was slack in possession and didn't even find himself in too many decent positions. I suspect he's going to blow very hot and cold, he had a wee hot streak so now we'll get a cold streak. An additional striker is a must in January given Duffy doesn't seem to fancy Tierney at all.

Anyway, we won't dwell on those negatives. We played some excellent stuff in the first-half, have a decent bit of squad depth and have 13 points after a first quarter - which is about 13 more than most of us thought we'd get after the Betfred Cup!

My report's here for anyone who wants to pick holes in it...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-3-1-forfar-athletic-20469229

Great three points for us today. Thought in the first half we were absolutely tremendous, high pressing attacking football. Tumilty and Frizzell gave the Forfar number 8 a torrid time of it. 3 great goals, a great header by Neil who won absolutely everything today and two wonder goals from frizzell who clearly adds a bit of quality and class to our side.

Second half was a slow start and I feared the imminent arse collapse when Forfar scored but in the end we comfortably saw it out. Great to see the players throwing themselves at the ball and showing great desire. I felt Hutton never played a bad ball all day, Langan provided some great dig in the midfield and quitongo really dug in and played through injury in the second half.

I’m guessing that the No 9 is “Big Rusty” on loan from us? With the addition of “laziest”, your description matches him perfectly!

I’m guessing that the No 9 is “Big Rusty” on loan from us? With the addition of “laziest”, your description matches him perfectly!

Hang on he wasn’t playing for Montrose against the sons the last time at links park was he?! i remember a similar striker lining up against us and he was equally as stinking would make perfect sense if this was the same guy [emoji23]

16 minutes ago, FraserDFC said:

Hang on he wasn’t playing for Montrose against the sons the last time at links park was he?! i remember a similar striker lining up against us and he was equally as stinking would make perfect sense if this was the same guy emoji23.png

From the match report above;

"McLean, who was proving a handful for the Dumbarton defence"

A young John "Hen" Clark in the making ? To be fair for a wee while in the 2nd half he did cause problems and was presumably hooked to avoid a red card in the offing. Game died out after that.

To be fair to the carthorse, he did get the better of Carswell to set up Kirkpatrick IIRC.

Hang on he wasn’t playing for Montrose against the sons the last time at links park was he?! i remember a similar striker lining up against us and he was equally as stinking would make perfect sense if this was the same guy [emoji23]

That’s your man .. Christ knows why we signed him. SP must have seen something in him but he’s the only guy I’ve seen who retracts his neck when he jumps . starts out 6’ 4” jumps a foot and still ends up 6’ 2” off the ground. I really hope I’m wrong but I fear he’s a dud.

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

From the match report above;

"McLean, who was proving a handful for the Dumbarton defence"

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

To be fair to the carthorse, he did get the better of Carswell to set up Kirkpatrick IIRC.

Aye he did. If he spent more time doing that and less time going to ground looking for fouls he'd probably be fairly effective.

Thank feck for that. I was seriously going to break our wee cutting machine again as we haven't won since I got it fixed and turned it back into a nice surface. Anyway well done and I'm now taking applications for ball boy duties for the Scotland v Andorra under 19s woman's international match next Saturday.

Neill's header hasn't had much mention due to Frizzell's more eye catching finishes, but that's an excellent header. McKee's corners don't come in with much pace on them but he's directed that perfectly. All 3 goals were perfectly finished. It's also evident that Frizzell, PJ and Layne will be handful for anyone in this league if they're on their game, we just need to accept they'll have off days.

That wee juggling session Brennan had in the first half is hilarious to watch when you know we've won 3-1. 

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Neill's header hasn't had much mention due to Frizzell's more eye catching finishes, but that's an excellent header. McKee's corners don't come in with much pace on them but he's directed that perfectly. All 3 goals were perfectly finished. It's also evident that Frizzell, PJ and Layne will be handful for anyone in this league if they're on their game, we just need to accept they'll have off days.

That wee juggling session Brennan had in the first half is hilarious to watch when you know we've won 3-1. 

Just a wee interesting Joe McKee fact for you, he's set up 50% of the goals we've scored in the league this season. His dead ball delivery with guys like Neill, McGeever and Layne in the team could be pivotal over the campaign.

Just a wee interesting Joe McKee fact for you, he's set up 50% of the goals we've scored in the league this season. His dead ball delivery with guys like Neill, McGeever and Layne in the team could be pivotal over the campaign.
7 assists in 9 games is a ridiculous stat. I know it's the current trend amongst experienced pros to denounce the importance of assists, or certainly their fellow pros celebrating them, but I'm delighted to see we have a midfielder who's creating so many chances for his team mates.

I was also under the impression he was a bit of a shitebag based on reports from fans of his previous employers but there were a few occassions yesterday where he got stuck right in.