Film music

19QOS19

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In my younger, i.e. teenage and student years, I was (and still am to an extent) a huge Pink Floyd fan. In the 60’s and 70’s they produced several soundtracks for offbeat / arthouse films such as ‘The Valley Obscured By Clouds’, ‘Zabriskie Point’ and selective Floyd tracks were used e.g. ‘Careful With That Axe, Eugene’ in Antonioni’s “Blow Up” and there was a surfing movie called ‘Crystal Voyager’ which used most of side one from the ‘Meddle’ album.

I used to have all of this stuff on vinyl but sold it ages ago but still listen to the music on YouTube/Spotify. It stands the test of time IMHO.

I'm a fan of most of Hans Zimmer's work, but in particular I love the Interstellar soundtrack. It really adds to the film itself and a lot of the pieces are integral to certain scenes. My favourite being "Coward" which I adore both in and out of context of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoP44KNu0IQ

Themes from Dances with Wolves and Out of Africa..both by John Barry.

A couple of times I've went to see the RSNO doing their stuff at the concert hall in Glasgow, one of them was a "Bond and Beyond" night, which was about a 50/50 split of John Barry's Bond music and his stuff from other films. The theme to Somewhere in Time is glorious live.

I have a 4 disc set of the Prague Philarmonic Orchestra doing music from all the Bond films up to Die Another Day. The incidental music from the early films is terrific, but From Russia with Love is my favourite, especially this track.

The score for Mandy was absolutely delightful and I did listen to it again not longer after watching it. Also remember listening to Duel of the Fates a number of times after seeing the Phantom Menace.

I don't tend to get much joy out of listening to film scores but the odd one definitely gets my attention. John Carpenter certainly more than most, and Assault on Precinct 13 was a great shout earlier. Even the mention of that movie gets that theme playing in my head.

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Betty Blue and The Fog spring to mind. Oh and Badlands. For the love of god would somebody please release the soundtrack of Badlands on vinyl.

Do you mean the Carl Orff tracks? I'm sure that you could find them on vinyl easy enough, just not packaged as the Badlands OST.

3 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Do you mean the Carl Orff tracks? I'm sure that you could find them on vinyl easy enough, just not packaged as the Badlands OST.

Yup, but there's a lot more to the soundtrack. "Love Is Strange", "A Blossom Fell". The lovely instrumental version of "Migration" by James Taylor. Would be great to have it all together in one package is all.

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Yup, but there's a lot more to the soundtrack. "Love Is Strange", "A Blossom Fell". The lovely instrumental version of "Migration" by James Taylor. Would be great to have it all together in one package is all.

Yeah. It's years since I've seen it. The Orff tracks are the only ones that I could remember.

Hitler's favourite composer IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

Air did the Virgin Suicides soundtrack after Moon Safari. Playground Love was the single, with vox by 'Gordon Trax' which was the singer from Phoenix. 

It's probably Air's best record as it caught them right in between peak Gainsbourg and Pink Floyd.

Honestly, seek it out.

That Ry Cooder ost for Paris Texas is good as well.

And all the Joe Hisaishi ones for Kitano films, Sonatine etc, proper decent 

10 hours ago, Empty It said:

Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam did the whole soundtrack to Into The Wild and I have to say it is superb.

Also like most of the soundtrack in Sons of Anarchy although there was some dross mixed in with it.

Big fan of Pearl Jam, will need to check this out. Is it mostly acoustic songs, rock or a mix?