Alloa Athletic v Dundee United

1 hour ago, AlloArab said:

That's right.

And we don't support Alloa because we support United.

It's only difficult to understand if you're hard if thinking. Which some on here are!

I'm an Ayr fan from Ayr so i'm delighted to say "get it right up ye" on behalf of your home town club.  Same goes to the Dundee Utd fan in the pub in Arbroath last week gloating that 'they' had pumped Morton 6-0 and trying to get into a "we will win the league" bit of patter. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Alloa were obviously far better tonight than they were two weeks ago but Dundee Utd barely tested them. Forget Shankland, there’s a real over reliance on Paul McMullan which is strange considering how hot and cold he can be.

I was working tonight and have only just caught up with the game on record, but I completely agree on the McMullan point. He was getting behind the full back frequently in the first half, but his final ball was found wanting. Second half Alloa had clearly learnt their lesson and gave him even fewer opportunities to run with the ball and so we were even more lacklustre as Pawlett did very little.

Alloa played some really good football, we on the other hand rarely got going at all. Tonight's performance from us wasn't on a level with the Arbroath or East Fife games, but there wasn't much to be pleased with either. I thought we stood off Alloa, rarely harried or pressure them when they had the ball; definitely nowhere close to the level of pressure they submitted us to. Butcher is a big player for us and he's really missed in games like tonight. Harkes and Stanton were inspid and Alloa controlled the midfield comfortably for large periods of the game.

Watson is decent enough doing the defensive side of things at full back in this league, but he's pretty limited when it comes to contributing going forward and that's a big problem in games like this where we spend large periods chasing to get back level. In hindsight, I reckon Neilson should have kept Sporle on at the Appere sub but moved him back to left back and put Smith back on the right.

Ultimately though a real disappointment after last week's result and performance and now there's another sodding international break so we've a long two weeks to stew on this result.

6 hours ago, Hursty said:

I'm an Ayr fan from Ayr so i'm delighted to say "get it right up ye" on behalf of your home town club.  Same goes to the Dundee Utd fan in the pub in Arbroath last week gloating that 'they' had pumped Morton 6-0 and trying to get into a "we will win the league" bit of patter. 

Thing is, fitba is a game. I don't really let it bother me, much more important stuff in my life to be bothered about.

I'm not responsible for one fan in a pub in Arbroath. Alloa us where I live, it's not my home town 😉

1 minute ago, AlloArab said:

Thing is, fitba is a game. I don't really let it bother me, much more important stuff in my life to be bothered about.

I'm not responsible for one fan in a pub in Arbroath. Alloa us where I live, it's not my home town 😉

Ditto.   If you are indeed from Dundee then of course I take it back.  .

Point still stands to the lad from Arbroath though....

After an indifferent start to the season , last night proved that we can still mix it with the best in this division when we play our football. No failures from any alloa players last night . Herrington and Flannigan were head and shoulders above their United counterparts in the middle of the park. 

A great night for us and well done to the players and management team. 

In terms of United , the only change obviously from last season is a class striker added who will probably score the goals to win the title. Shankland is a terrific player and if he stays fit will bag himself 40 goals this season. 

a great night's entertainment. Friday football a thumbs up from me however probably the result that's coloured my view.