Ayr United vs Caley Thistle

18 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Robbo was very complementary about Ayr Utd after the game calling them the best team in the Championship and I find that hard to disagree. I thought the difference in the teams was simply we finished the chances we had and Ayr had an off day up front, though Ridgers was really solid in goal.

fox news television GIF

Did any  ICT fans here know about his mum before the game?
Yeah it was mentioned by Robertson before / after some games earlier in the season and reported in some of the local press up Inverness way.

I missed the first 10 minutes, when it looks like Ayr could have gone two or three ahead, because I was standing queuing at the ticket portakabin  with @RiG for quarter of an hour and then we found that they'd closed all the turnstiles and we had to get let in through the main entrance. Struggling a wee bit to see how that's supposed to improve efficiency, tbh.

It was a really disciplined, hardworking performance from ICT. It looks like Robertson and Kellacher are more focused on coaching players on their individual roles than either Foran or Hughes were: Doran is tracking back and covering Tremarco far more then he used to, and Storey did the same really well on the opposite flank and provided real strength there, which is obviously necessary for us when Rooney goes off on his peregrinations. I thought Storey would be absolutely useless if not played through the middle, but he did an excellent job yesterday. Vincent worked his socks off in the middle and Trafford did fine when he came on, although it is going to be a big blow for us if Welsh does turn out to be long-term injured again.  I thought Ayr played some lovely stuff going forward - some great interplay between Forrest, Kelly and Moffat, and McCowan looked dangerous too - but Donaldson in particular dealt with them really well. And Rooney... fucking hell. He's an absolute force of nature at the moment, and looks like he's loving playing for us. He's probably always going to struggle defensively if he's up against a fast, tricky left winger, but those rampages forward have been getting more and more audacious and basically made the difference between the teams yesterday. It's an absolute nap that he's going to get caught out at some point soon, and some team is going to ruin us on a counter-attack down our right, but it's worth it. Biggest cult hero we've had since Tokely.

When I first saw the tweet about him getting abuse about his mum's death, my instinct was to call bullshit, simply because why on earth would anyone want to shout that sort of thing at someone else, but if it was his partner who tweeted it then I guess it's more likely to be true, as she's not going to say something like that lightly. If it did happen, though, then it's likely just to have been some utter fucking arsehole who doesn't represent the attitudes of ordinary Ayr supporters in any way, shape or form. Where does ayrmad sit?           

8 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I can’t believe what I’m reading here. Are you genuinely saying it’s fair game to start shouting to another human being abuse about their recently deceased mother, because they dived in a game of football?

If so, you’re an absolute fucking disgrace and utterly pathetic.

Couldn't agree more.

9 hours ago, ayrmad said:

He didn't help himself by shaking hands and laughing a few minutes previous after robbing a free kick,do that and everything is fair game in football

I'm not at all sure that I'd be confident of finding anyone to advocate on behalf of this stance, so perhaps some clarification is required.

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If the abuse happened then it’s unacceptable.

But I find it incredibly unlikely it’s as serious as it’s being made out to be.

My view too, faux outrage. 

35 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

Where does ayrmad sit?           

Sceptical about whether it even happened, like the majority of our support.

I stand on the North Terrace and for the second half I was in line with Rooney and I never heard it. Admittedly, I started walking round with about 2 minutes to go. So unless it happened right at the death it didn't happen.

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

My view too, faux outrage. 

Sceptical about whether it even happened, like the majority of our support.

I stand on the North Terrace and for the second half I was in line with Rooney and I never heard it. Admittedly, I started walking round with about 2 minutes to go. So unless it happened right at the death it didn't happen.

I am not shure if you are a complete dumbass or you actually thought that the ending of your sentence was meant to be funny - NOT.

I am not shure if you are a complete dumbass or you actually thought that the ending of your sentence was meant to be funny - NOT.

Or... 3rd option and hear me out here, he didn’t mean anything by it.

It was the day that the Highland Pokemon prevailed in deepest Ayrshire and I am sure that Pikachu was envious of the lightning strike by Shaun Rooney in the second half. It was my first “live” game of the season and the fare served up by the Caley Jags enthused and surprised me. That was as solid a team performance that I have witnessed for some time. We could have been ahead in the first minute when Miles Storey outpaced the Ayr defence but then dragged his shot slightly wide. And then game ten minutes of Ayr dominance. I felt that Ridgers kept us in the game three times, especially saves from McCowan and Moffat. Then on the half hour the away support lamented the substitution of Sean Welsh who hobbled off with yet another injury. But within seconds we were celebrating a contentious opening goal. Not many would have been surprised if the referee had stopped play to allow treatment for the poleaxed Jordan White, lying prostrate in front of the Ayr goal. But the referee played on and JAMES VINCENT appeared to deflect home a Rooney cross. Not exactly a carbon copy of his Hampden clincher but very important none the less. And I thought that we controlled the game thereafter. We were wholly solid defensively and looked dangerous on the break. The midfield certainly worked their socks off. Ayr’s final touch or shooting was well off although Ridgers did save us twice more in the second half, especially one save where he appeared to turn himself in the air when the initial shot was deflected. Roddy McGregor should have notched a second after the break but he hesitated and he who hesitates is lost. And then what must be a contender for goal of the season. In the 64th minute Donaldson punted upfield and SHAUN ROONEY remarkably kept the ball in play, swiveled, sped inside and as cool as a feckin cucumber  slotted the ball home. Rooney could have claimed a second late on when Todorov failed to execute the through ball with Rooney sure to overlap again. Doran really should have made it three but slashed at the ball from the penalty spot. That completed another fine away day and the long journey home was worth it. Robbo’s after match comments summed it up and perhaps he really does think that Ayr are more of a danger than the Tannadice bunch - "We are only eight games in, but it is important that we are still there at the top of the table. We faced the best team in the Championship today and we asked the players to put on a performance, show their character and that's what they did in some style."

RIDGERS  (*****)  On many a day he would have been MOM but he was outshone on the day by a Ross Tokely lookalike.

ROONEY  (*****) + Looking forward to seeing a replay of that goal. But apart from that he was solid at the back and always looked a danger when going forward – which he did menacingly on a regular basis.

DONALDSON (****) Looked more assured and far much more like his old composed self. Perhaps his fitness has hit the 100% mark ?

McCART (***) Tends to play in the shadow of Coll but he also looked assured and that central defence partnership will be a very important building block for the remainder of the season.

TREMARCO (***) Appeared to concentrate more on defensive duties which may well be his remit from now on.

VINCENT (***) Playmaker in the first half and very effective. Quieter in the second but defensively solid.

WELSH (**) Another bitter blow and leg injury allowed only 30 minutes of holding midfield at its best.

McGREGOR (***) Very lively, sharp and pacy. Some nice touches but too easily knocked off the ball. Did look like a wee boy on a pitch of men. But he can only improve and he does have the required potential.

DORAN (**) Never does shine when the game is mostly about defending. Has lost some pace and that shows at this level.

WHITE (**) Poor Jordan is simply not my cup of tea. His height and presence does attract central defenders but he does nothing in the air and his hold up play is lacking. His main contribution was the first goal assist !!

STOREY (***) If only he had that bit of panache and composure to add to the lightning pace – he really would be wearing a magic hat. More effective out wide though.

TRAFFORD (****) He more than successfully filled the boots of Welsh. He was winning everything in central midfield.

CARSON (***) Evidently taken on to beef up the midfield. The complete opposite of McGregor. No nonsense needed in a game of this ilk.

TODOROV (***) Still not the final product but I feel he is more mobile, is a better holder and has more pace than any other forward at the club. Probably a better foil for Storey as well

It says that the attendance was 1912 but there looked a lot more than that – although the migration of Honest Men at the start and half time may have confused me. There were not many in the home end at full time though. My thanks to all, on and off the pitch, for making my first away day of the season a very enjoyable and wet one - and that surprising includes Kenny McLean

39 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If the abuse happened then it’s unacceptable.

But I find it incredibly unlikely it’s as serious as it’s being made out to be.

Well 40 or 50 joined in the mocking of Rooney after he reacted, as he's shown that he's a cheating b*****d then it wouldn't surprise me if he's a lying b*****d as well.

I never heard what was shouted and I didn't join in the abuse in the aftermath, not the sort of thing I'd shout, it'll be 90 minutes of abuse the next time he's at Somerset.

There is abuse and there is sheer and utter inadmissible depravity. Giving someone constant abuse for being perceived as a cheating, lying bestard is fair game. I aint going to respond any more and I am sure that the comments were made by the odd one or two Neanderthals.

There is abuse and there is sheer and utter inadmissible depravity. Giving someone constant abuse for being perceived as a cheating, lying bestard is fair game. I aint going to respond any more and I am sure that the comments were made by the odd one or two Neanderthals.

The comments weren’t made mate.

hen I first saw the tweet about him getting abuse about his mum's death, my instinct was to call bullshit, simply because why on earth would anyone want to shout that sort of thing at someone else, but if it was his partner who tweeted it then I guess it's more likely to be true, as she's not going to say something like that lightly

can I just say , his partner was sitting in the stand , there is every chance it did happen as we have recent previous from a fan ( in the Stand )who was reported for allegedly racist abuse towards an opponent 

Edited by Robbo63

10 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Did any  ICT fans here know about his mum before the game?

I read about it in one of the papers a few week back. I’d be very suprised and disappointed if the person who supposedly said it did so knowing that his mum had died. If it has happened it’s on the same level as that idiot who said to Scott Brown about his sister, and I’d ban him from Somerset like Rangers did with that clown 

21 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Not many would have been surprised if the referee had stopped play to allow treatment for the poleaxed Jordan White, lying prostrate in front of the Ayr goal.

Jordan White poleaxed himself.

11 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

hen I first saw the tweet about him getting abuse about his mum's death, my instinct was to call bullshit, simply because why on earth would anyone want to shout that sort of thing at someone else, but if it was his partner who tweeted it then I guess it's more likely to be true, as she's not going to say something like that lightly

can I just say , his partner was sitting in the stand , there is every chance it did happen as we have recent previous from a fan ( in the Stand )who was reported for allegedly racist abuse towards an opponent 

It happened on the North Terrace, I was 30 yards away and don't know what was shouted, his partner certainly didn't hear it.