Ross County vs St. Johnstone - the Ricky Foster Derby

I hate the back three. I could stomach it away at Livingston first time round last season with the way they were playing at the time but I really don't enjoy watching us when we use that system. 

The last two away performances have been good, we know the system can work in these games. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Can I be the one, and probably only one given my track record, who says a back three/five that involves Wright at right wing back and Ralston as a CB just wouldnt work at all. As it is Ralston gets caught for too high up the park, and absolutely loves lunging in.

Making Wright defend would just be pointless.

I agree. It should be Kerr, Gordon, Vihmann with Ralston and Tanser further forward. Holt and either Davidson or McCann( Davidson for me)

Then MOH, May and Matty. With Wright and Swanson coming on in second half.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

I hate the back three. I could stomach it away at Livingston first time round last season with the way they were playing at the time but I really don't enjoy watching us when we use that system. 

The last two away performances have been good, we know the system can work in these games. 

Totally understand what you're saying but the longer this run goes the more desperate Tommy will get. I can see it happening. 

Our defence picks itself really

Laidlaw
Fraser
Watson
Grivo
Foster

Midfields up for debate, hopefully draper is back fit other wise if have charmers Henderson, Vigurs. Would like to see mullin & midge wise with Stewart the line striker, I know he’s done well recently out wide himself but he’ll win so many headers from crosses in the box from quality delivery

12 hours ago, Radford said:

Agree it's never been a great watch, but I think a clean sheet would be huge for the confidence of our young defence, and give us something to build on going into the Accies and st Mirren games.

12 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I agree. It should be Kerr, Gordon, Vihmann with Ralston and Tanser further forward. Holt and either Davidson or McCann( Davidson for me)

Then MOH, May and Matty. With Wright and Swanson coming on in second half.

I do not like 3 centre backs but we have to try something to stem the flow goals against. If we do that is the team I too would select. (Davidson not McCann). The front three have been our most productive formation so would start them but they must be allowed to attack as with 5 at the back there should be more than enough cover.

I thought we were miles ahead of County in the first half of the cup game. Unfortunately, that match basically set the tone for what has come since - passing up a load of chances then defending badly and going in at half time 2-1 down. County looked very ropy at the back and allowed us several chances without too much resistance. We’ll really need that to happen again because we need a dozen chances before we can score...

Depressing stuff at the moment. We just look so short of confidence and any win - a last minute own goal after being on the back foot for ninety minutes, any thing at all - could make a big difference.

0-0 at best. Probably 1-0 County (Foster).

I doubt we'll see a back 3 to be honest. Vihmann has already disappeared out of the squad and I'll be kind and say Duffy isn't anywhere near ready at this stage so right now it seems Wright trusts 2 of his centre backs. Last game we played with 3 centre backs we managed to ship 7 goals as well.

We've got a system which seems to be working ok away from home - we've at least had 2 good performances if not wins - so I don't think we should change it right now.

Home is a different story all together though and we need to try something different. 

Edited by Kyle

14 hours ago, Kyle said:

I doubt we'll see a back 3 to be honest. Vihmann has already disappeared out of the squad and I'll be kind and say Duffy isn't anywhere near ready at this stage so right now it seems Wright trusts 2 of his centre backs. Last game we played with 3 centre backs we managed to ship 7 goals as well.

We've got a system which seems to be working ok away from home - we've at least had 2 good performances if not wins - so I don't think we should change it right now.

Home is a different story all together though and we need to try something different. 

Let's be honest, we'd have shipped at least 7 whatever formation we played that day!

We were also 5-0 down to Celtic at half time a year ago playing 4 at the back, so I wouldn't say games against them are an accurate gauge.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Let's be honest, we'd have shipped at least 7 whatever formation we played that day!

We were also 5-0 down to Celtic at half time a year ago playing 4 at the back, so I wouldn't say games against them are an accurate gauge.

That may well be the case but it doesn't get round the fact that Wright only has 2 centre backs that he trusts so we're one short of being able to play a back 3.

We seem to get a disproportionate number of pumpings from Celtic and Rangers with very little in the way of a threat at the other end. Sometimes they will do that and there isn't much you can do about it, but last season in particular we were going away to Glasgow and registering 1 shot (off target) in response. Not that I've got an answer to that as we've been cut open when we've opened up but that's brutal.

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

That may well be the case but it doesn't get round the fact that Wright only has 2 centre backs that he trusts so we're one short of being able to play a back 3.

We seem to get a disproportionate number of pumpings from Celtic and Rangers with very little in the way of a threat at the other end. Sometimes they will do that and there isn't much you can do about it, but last season in particular we were going away to Glasgow and registering 1 shot (off target) in response. Not that I've got an answer to that as we've been cut open when we've opened up but that's brutal.

Agree that there's no obvious candidate to step in, I'm going along the lines of throwing bodies in the road as County aren't as dangerous as Celtic.  Regarding OF pumpings, that 7-0 on opening day was one of the meekest capitulations I've seen from a Saints side in a good few years.

As well as how easy we made it for them to score, you just need to look at how fairly average teams like Hibs and Dunfermline gave them difficult games to see how dreadful we were that day.

Anyway, the Dingwallers don't need to hear anymore of our suffering so I'll leave it there! 

13 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Harsh on McCann, but I do think we need to get Kennedy central linking with May

Capture.JPG

I would like to see this as the line up, exactly the team I'd go with TBH. 

Sadly I'll be on a flight to the sun for a couple of weeks just as this is kicking off. As nice as that is, it's a minor annoyance as I can't watch it on Saints TV and I'm missing a night out in Inverness. 

Any news on who the injury is?

image.thumb.png.987c4a427e71cfba2e95abf287277f10.png

EDIT : seems whoever was playing FIFA (Swanson I think) in the twitter video agrees with the formation. See that he benched Matty and Stevie. Likes to cause a bit of drama. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

15 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Any news on who the injury is?

Liam Gordon has done his knee ligaments, apparently. 

So Duffy or Vihmann for this.