Ross County vs St. Johnstone - the Ricky Foster Derby

Just now, Widge said:

My biggest gripe with O’Halloran and it’s always been the case, is that he never goes on behind. He’s always looking for the ball short and take the whole team on, every so often if he runs in behind it allows a defender to flip a quick ball into the channel for him to chase. It’s infuriating watching him with 3 men on him running laterally across the pitch.

This is one area he can improve on, there are others. Frustrating because he has pace, just needs help with the vision.

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

Careful here, almost some decent chat breaking out. 

Obviously not a patch on the match thread on WAP though. 

I occasionally have a look at other teams forums but have never looked at WAP before, I'm assuming it's the usual 'Should be beating this mob 4-0' 'We are finished if we can't beat these'  chatter you see from most teams in relation to County.

Just now, staggy1929 said:

I occasionally have a look at other teams forums but have never looked at WAP before, I'm assuming it's the usual 'Should be beating this mob 4-0' 'We are finished if we can't beat these'  chatter you see from most teams in relation to County.

That would be actual football chat, so no chance of that. 

I'll summarise it for you: "Am goin', choo choo, braw, matron." 

9 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Also worth noting MOH caused them a bit of problems in the first half particularly at Mcd in the League Cup. 

I realise, I am beginning to sound like a broken record.  This game we played, MOH right and Swanson was left.

You will be pleased to hear, I promise no more for a while about my campaign to get MOH on the right. Especially if Wright does more.

4 hours ago, Templar said:

I realise, I am beginning to sound like a broken record.  This game we played, MOH right and Swanson was left.

O'Halloran didnt play on the right at any point in the Cup game against County. He started on the left with Wotherspoon right and Swanson central, and stayed on the left when Wotherspoon came off and Kennedy came on. Kennedy went right.

I've no idea what you do with our midfield/attack.

Wright is our best all round winger but looked really rusty last week, O'Halloran is the only one producing but goes missing, Kennedy was our best player last season but hasnt come up with anything this season, Swanson deserves another chance since nobody else is producing but has never done anything since rejoining. Wotherspoon is Wotherspoon.

In the middle McCann doesnt deserve dropped, but Holt and Davidson are both better. Holt and Davidson both prefer going forwards than sitting back, and McCann hasnt protected the backline either this season.

Always feel like we need to match up with a midfield five, but that relies on one of the central players being good enough to get near May but also able to match their man the other way. Kennedy obviously has the record last season there, but it's at the stage where I've forgotten how he actually looked there and whether it's just rose tinted memories now. Wotherspoon tends to get too deep when hes in there, and Swanson cant be arsed tracking men. Dont envy TW trying to work it all out, my head says you play Davidson and Holt, and that Wotherspoon seems to make us a stronger team so stick him too. Then take your pick from the other four and plop them in somewhere.

A long post of absolutely nothing, but there we go.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A long post of absolutely nothing, but there we go.

But one in which I agree with you funnily enough!

I suppose that's one of the major disadvantages of not getting your squad sorted until the window closes, as ideally we would have seen how different formations involving the full squad work, who combines well with who in certain areas etc.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

But one in which I agree with you funnily enough!

I suppose that's one of the major disadvantages of not getting your squad sorted until the window closes, as ideally we would have seen how different formations involving the full squad work, who combines well with who in certain areas etc.

I agree. We've no real idea yet which full-backs work best with which wingers (Foster leaving didn't help), which midfielders work best with May, if any. 

Now we're in a bit of a tailspin points wise (if not performance wise) it puts more pressure on to quickly find the 'best 11'. 

12 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Meet you in the Mallard 2pm.

We have a good record in Dingwall so fingers crossed it continues. Hopefully. Surely. 

I have horrible memories of St Johnstone coming up the road in the second tier and always managing to grind out wins despite often not playing well.

I never write you off in Dingwall.

Edited by Comrie

3 hours ago, Comrie said:

I have horrible memories of St Johnstone coming up the road in the second tier and always managing to grind out wins despite often not playing well.

I never write you off in Dingwall.

My only trip to Dingwall was a midweek cup game. I remember it being fucking dire, and only a keeper charging out his box sclaffing his kick and letting Craig score a 40 yard tap in was the difference (this may not be what happened, but it's how I remember it).

I was attacked by a bee on the bus the whole way home.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My only trip to Dingwall was a midweek cup game. I remember it being fucking dire, and only a keeper charging out his box sclaffing his kick and letting Craig score a 40 yard tap in was the difference (this may not be what happened, but it's how I remember it).

I was attacked by a bee on the bus the whole way home.

I have memories of Kenny Deuchar scoring a header when you beat us 2-0 in Dingwall in the Challenge Cup when we had the powers of pain at centre half (Dowie and Keddie). Dowie watched Deuchar make a run, didn't bother picking him up and left Joe Malin out to dry before spending ninety seconds screaming at him, the utter fanny.

Last game I saw in Dingwall, Chris Kane span a defender and put a last minute winner straight into the top corner. Pretty sure I didn’t dream that...or did I?

Last time I was in Dingwall we were absolutely garbage and lost 2-0 in a midweek game, a disaster compounded by the absolute worst chippy I’ve ever had in Aviemore on the way up.

The time previous to that we lost a midweek game with Paul Lawson being sent off for a handball on the line.

So yeah, am not goin, no choo choo. Braw.

The Matt Glennon game was glorious, however.

The change to the back three last season came at a time where we were losing games on the back of being far too open - particularly the 5-1 game at ibrox - and we needed a bit more security. I don't think a change of defensive shape is needed currently and I don't think it would help settle that back line. Unlike then, doing so now ultimately weakens the starting 11 be forcing you to leave out attack minded midfielders. County playing three similar to livi may have tempted Wright to doing so but suspect Gordon's injury means its unlikely to happen. I see Wright hasn't ruled out signing another centre half which is massively reassuring. [emoji849]

I'd expect the line up to be similar today with Vihmann coming in for Gordon. Perm any two from 4 to support May but I think O'Halloran's been our most consistent threat so far.

50 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The Matt Glennon game was glorious, however.

If only there was some evidence you were there... 

My top Dingwall memories:

• Paatelainen hat-trick in 2003.
  • Birth of the Deuchar/Jackson partnership in 2007.
  • Collin Samuel double - second a brilliant solo run - to kick start title season. 
  • Frazer Wright late winner in 2012.
  • Dave Mackay late winner in 2015 to set record for away wins. 
  • Chris Kane late winner - brilliant goal - in 2017.

I missed the Glennon game and, thankfully, a 4-0 defeat in Connolly season. Worst memories are a late Graham Carey winner and losing a two-goal lead to draw under Coyle on a midweek.