Ross County vs St. Johnstone - the Ricky Foster Derby

2 hours ago, PSJSaint said:

From a defensive point of view I'm not convinced there is a problem with the formation.  For most of the goals we've conceded (admittedly not seen live) the formation wouldn't have made any difference .  Motherwell - Ralston gives up marking the second ball.  Killie we get caught on the break and fail to clear when we had the chance, same with Rangers first and second. Aberdeen was just 30 seconds of professionals on both sides completely forgetting how to play football until it lands at Hedges feet and I'm not going to bother picking over Celtic.

What we really need is a bit of discipline and concentration.  And maybe a bit of luck.  Lets be hard to beat for a couple of games and hope that the quality we have upfront clicks.  

If Gordon or Kerr's out then a back 3 discussion is academic anyway.

But yes, my opinion is that we've been competitive and often more than competitive in 11 of the 14 halves of league football this year. We've been punished for being sloppy at the back and lacking finishing up front. Outside of the OF games we've deserved at least a point. I agree it's not really a fundamental formation issue with the caveat that May is struggling and he needs midfielders to sit higher in the middle. 

Of course there comes a time when you have to admit it's not all being on the wrong side of fortune and that actually there may be very fundamental problems, although that's not what I'm seeing yet.  If we're still bottom at the end of the month I think I might be persuaded that's the case. In the 10 team league this year it's going to be fine margins so you'd imagine that the pendulum would start to swing back towards Perth soon. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
No idea which of our CB's is injured

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes not physically strong enough if it happens. I'm trying pay him a compliment by saying that's the only way you get the better of him, and against every other type of opponents hes matched them (James Forrest aside).

Ross Stewart will make most full backs pay in aerial challenges, to be fair. You can't compete against someone who is 14'6" when he jumps.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes not physically strong enough if it happens. I'm trying pay him a compliment by saying that's the only way you get the better of him, and against every other type of opponents hes matched them (James Forrest aside).

I agree Tanser has been weak as pish in past years, he wasn't on Saturday though and has worked really hard at his core strength. I think he may have turned a corner in that respect.

Tanser wins most of his defensive headers, he's quite aggressive in the air. If we're looking for defensive weak links it's not at left back.

Yeah that was my thoughts, he steps in and wins the headers a lot of the time. Doesn’t allow himself to go up against a standing jump very often at all.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Yeah that was my thoughts, he steps in and wins the headers a lot of the time. Doesn’t allow himself to go up against a standing jump very often at all.

As said earlier it's Stewart he'll be up against and he is 10 foot tall and jumps double that, has Ralston been good for you guys? he always seemed like a Marcus Fraser type where he'd eventually get released at Celtic and do well elsewhere.

Same shape and performance level as at Easter Road and Pittodrie and hopefully we can take something from the game. 

What I've noticed about Parish in the early games he played is he's very vocal. Maybe a different voice could help the defence. Would've said ask the captain to play on the left of the defence but Stewart at that back post maybe better suits Vihmann. 

My team:

Parish

Ralston - Kerr - Vihmann - Tanser

McCann - Davidson - Holt

Wright - May - Kennedy 

Subs: Clark, Duffy, Booth, Wotherspoon, Swanson, O'Halloran, Hendry.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Same shape and performance level as at Easter Road and Pittodrie and hopefully we can take something from the game. 

What I've noticed about Parish in the early games he played is he's very vocal. Maybe a different voice could help the defence. Would've said ask the captain to play on the left of the defence but Stewart at that back post maybe better suits Vihmann. 

My team:

Parish

Ralston - Kerr - Vihmann - Tanser

McCann - Davidson - Holt

Wright - May - Kennedy 

Subs: Clark, Duffy, Booth, Wotherspoon, Swanson, O'Halloran, Hendry.

Would not be unhappy with that lineup other than the keeper. I don't see that the arguments to drop Clark are anywhere near strong enough. This game is more crucial than it probably should be at this stage of the campaign and switching keeper is a big risk IMO expecially when nobody (except the spurious stats boys) is suggesting that Clark is significantly under-prorming, and the only reason is that our other option might be more vocal. As it happens I thought he was quite loud against Motherwell. 

Where he seems to be weaker this year is commanding the box (which admittedly may be an issue aginst County) and distribution. His kicking and quick throws seem to be a wee bit off. 

With Gordon out the back line will be destabalised enough as it is without introducing another change in a crucial position. By all means see how Parish gets on in the cup, depending on the draw, but I think we need consistency for this one and there's absolutely no evidence that I've seen that Parish is a better keeper than Zander. 

I kind of agree with you both, Clark needs a rocket up his arse and dropping him may be that rocket. Then on the other hand has he been bad enough to drop? I'm not so sure.

Vihmann has had enough time to see how the team plays and get to know those players, I'd now hope we would see a big improvement in his play, starting tomorrow. Other than the goalie I'd go with Radfords side, MOH needs to do more for me.

I think a lot of County fans will be surprised at how good Saints are compared to their league position, this is by no means an easy game.

I can't remember if I posted a line up or not and cba looking back but I think we'll go for something kind of similar to last week

Laidlaw

Fraser Watson Fontaine Foster

Stewart Henderson Grivosti Paton Gardyne

Graham

Harsh on McKay but Graham has looked good the last few games

Not much in it for me between Wright, Kennedy and O'Halloran, just think Wright brings a bit more discipline, intelligence and crossing ability whilst Kennedy will be confident after his call for Northern Ireland this week. It's the one area where we have the luxury of real choice. 

32 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

MOH needs to do more for me.

MOH needs to be played on the right where, he has scored 2 league goals and 1 assist not moved about to accommodate other players.

Celtic (lost) he was striker produced nothing

Livingstone (Draw) on the right an assist

Hibs (Draw) on the right a goal

Kilmarnock (lost) on the right

Aberdeen (Draw) on the right goal

Rangers on the left produced nothing

Motherwell on the left produced nothing

Playing MOH on the right in 4 league games has been very productive, an involvement in goals in 75% of his games, yes he dose have to more but you do not have to the brain of Britain to work out where you play him for him to get more. Will Drey Wright be as Productive? If Tommy does play Wright on the right, MOH has to be on the bench because he is doing nothing in any other position. But is it just a coincidence that the 3 points we have so far is when Tommy plays MOH on the right. 

1 minute ago, Templar said:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing that he should be only played on the right?

Anywhere in an attacking position,  don't care where.  With his attributes he can make space for others simply by being in the right position. He needs to be taught certain things, whether the staff at Saints are the folk to teach him is debatable. 

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

Not much in it for me between Wright, Kennedy and O'Halloran, just think Wright brings a bit more discipline, intelligence and crossing ability whilst Kennedy will be confident after his call for Northern Ireland this week. It's the one area where we have the luxury of real choice. 

Also worth noting MOH caused them a bit of problems in the first half particularly at Mcd in the League Cup. 

Think I want him to start

May

MOH Kennedy Wright

Mccann   Muzz

Drey is one of many players who want to play through the middle, is that worth a try, Alston did that well for us away at County in previous seasons. O'Halloran IMO is much more threatening on the right as he can drive round the outside on right side and means when hes running generally he can have his body between the defender and the ball making it harder to stop him when hes running at pace. 

------------

Gordon is out for the region of 8 weeks. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

My biggest gripe with O’Halloran and it’s always been the case, is that he never goes on behind. He’s always looking for the ball short and take the whole team on, every so often if he runs in behind it allows a defender to flip a quick ball into the channel for him to chase. It’s infuriating watching him with 3 men on him running laterally across the pitch.