Raith Rovers vs Falkirk - 5th October

Guest Ecosse83
13 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Whilst I personally think Falkirk will win the league this season, don't quite agree that it's a given that would happen easily. If we win on Sat, we would have 21 points after the first quarter. That's title contending form. 

Yes you are probably right, comfortably then. 

Raith will certainly we contenders if McKinnon stays in charge, it's bloody mind numbing stuff we have to endure!

Yes you are probably right, comfortably then. 

Raith will certainly we contenders if McKinnon stays in charge, it's bloody mind numbing stuff we have to endure!

Is sacking McKinnon the magic bullet though? Seems like your problems run a fair bit deeper to me, not like the last manager was any better. We all thought we’d be fine last season once Barry Smith left and McGlynn has us winning 5-1 at Dumbarton...

Guest Ecosse83
14 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Is sacking McKinnon the magic bullet though? Seems like your problems run a fair bit deeper to me, not like the last manager was any better. We all thought we’d be fine last season once Barry Smith left and McGlynn has us winning 5-1 at Dumbarton...

The problems with McKinnon isn't just about this season. When he took over he took over the worst Falkirk squad I can remember, the only option was to sit in and try and scrape some points which in hindsight suited McKinnon's style down to the ground. He then managed to get us up to 8th but instead of kicking on he completely shat the bed and quite frankly got us relegated. Most were willing to give him another chance (I was desperate for him to go) this season but it's been the same old boring negative shit. 

I actually think he has built a reasonable enough squad for this division but he just doesn't know how to set up a team to attack effectively. I'm not saying we should win 5-0 every game but we have actually failed to score in 4 league games so far and drew a blank at Starks a few weeks ago, it's just not good enough. 

Rant over 🤪

With McKinnon in charge this is the type of game we are utterly doomed for. You’ll want it more and win 1 or 2-0, at best we’ll scrape a 1-1 draw. It’ll be as poor as it was at Starks a few weeks ago with Raith fans coming away saying our team hasn’t got a hope of going up playing like that. As others have said, wake me up in May (or when Raymondo gets the bullet)

With McKinnon in charge this is the type of game we are utterly doomed for. You’ll want it more and win 1 or 2-0, at best we’ll scrape a 1-1 draw. It’ll be as poor as it was at Starks a few weeks ago with Raith fans coming away saying our team hasn’t got a hope of going up playing like that. As others have said, wake me up in May (or when Raymondo gets the bullet)

To be honest, We won’t ever underestimate Falkirk. Our players really need to fight for every point. We know Falkirk will strengthen in January that much is certain.

I was really looking forward to the October fixtures with a fully-fit Vaughan back in the team. 

As it is we’ve still looked good without him in the team, and Anderson at the back seems to be making a difference. 

When we played Falkirk in the diddy cup they didn’t look that good a side, but they have a lot of new faces and I’m assuming they’ll click as a team at some stage of the season.

Now, on to the most important issue: the crowd w**k. Will the Falkirk travelling support start shrinking (not a dig at Bairnado the hobbit) given the ropey away form?

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

My take on the Cup game the other month was that Falkirk had signed some good  "names".

Fair enough, BUT, as a collective of footballers, despite their individual talents, they were not playing as a TEAM.

Money would be better spent on a MAN Manager who also knows the game. Sorry guys but that's 'no Ray!! 

13 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

I disagree. I think this is a decent league and a good mix this season. Pretty much all of the teams are capable of taking points of each other as has been proven so far.I

Falkirk and Raith are here because they aren't good enough for the championship. They might have the stadium and the full time status but that equates to the square root of f**k all if yer team can't cut it.

Enjoy your stay. The rest of us are here to make life difficult. X

It’s not a good league. No real teams enjoy being in the Seaside League. It’s extended punishment for being too shite for The Championship.

6 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Allan got himself into some great positions yesterday but had a lack of any kind of quality shot or final ball. First half he got through on goal, and although the angle was tight, it was a pretty tame effort. Second half he got in behind with great opportunities to cross, and was poor with delivery. 

I'm not really sure what he brings to the team that we can't get elsewhere. The effort etc is there, but having a centre forward who doesn't score, or really look like scoring, and has a lack of a final ball, is a bit of a luxury. 

With Vaughan looking likely to be out, we need more threat from him. 

I'd agree with you there, he can play off the shoulders of defenders very well to receive a ball but is very weak with his delivery/shot

It was telling that Allen himself thought he'd be substituted when Gullan was about to be introduced and walked off behind the goals (Gullan actually played much better when he came on) before realising it was Gando getting hooked 

It's great the goals being spread around the team - Mcglynn definitely called that one right and me wrong - but I was expecting some more from Allen 

I'd have Grant/Bowie up top with maybe Baird playing the withdrawn role now that Vaughan looks like being out for the foreseeable again. 

I'd expect to see a replication of the set up from Airdrie, with Gullan taking Vaughan's role.

I said yesterday that we didn't have a like-for-like replacement, but maybe I was doing Dingwall a disservice. Perhaps he could fill that role once he's fit.

Until then, though, asking Gullan to fill in at 10 is a better compromise than binning an entire system that's been so successful.

I agree that Baird would be a surprising choice behind the front two. Like Bowie, he'll have to wait for a chance to replace either Anderson or Allan.

It's an intriguing problem, though. If Matthews was fit, you could conceivably push either Hendry or Spencer forward, but as it is, we don't have the replacement for the base of the midfield.

My take on the Cup game the other month was that Falkirk had signed some good  "names".
Fair enough, BUT, as a collective of footballers, despite their individual talents, they were not playing as a TEAM.
Money would be better spent on a MAN Manager who also knows the game. Sorry guys but that's 'no Ray!! 

Pretty fair assessment of where we are at.

So, I looked at the Falkirk v East Fife highlights, listened to the Falkirk complaints, and contrasted with the Falkirk team I watched at Stark’s Park a few weeks ago.

In the Cup match, with more of a backup team, Falkirk looked dangerous with the crosses from the deep wing, the few times they did that. Otherwise, the form seemed to be batter at the middle to break through, with a few lobbed in efforts from 30 yards out. Play from back to midfield was fine, but little connection to the forwards.

For the EF match, I could only see highlights, but there was plenty of comment on the shelling of shots into the box. The highlights showed a couple of those awful deliveries, with the player delivering the lob under no pressure to release the ball. The Falkirk team in those Falkirk highlights looked less threatening than the Cup team we faced.

I see two likely scenarios here; one is that this form of play is simply a reflection of the team and strategy Ray has setup, the second is that there is a conditioning issue for Falkirk. The presumption last year was that Raith would prevail at the end because they were a full-time team whose players should be better conditioned...and we found that to be rather untrue.

One thing is for sure, Bell alone can keep Falkirk in the race until something changes...if it changes. How much can the ownership afford to spend revamping the team in Jan, because it looks like a lot of deadwood needs clearing from the Falkirk thread comments.

Edited by TxRover