Controversial Statements About Your Club

Although rightfully a club legend, Kris Doolan wasnt/isnt that good a striker and is only fanned over so much because of his longevity, the abject standard of most of our other strikers the past decade and the fact he is an all round good guy.
Unbelievable first touch mind.

Club legends are rarely brilliant players, when you do get a particularly good player they are usually gone onto bigger things well before they can gain that status.

Being a 7/10 player who puts in the occasional superb game is about what you need. Good enough to get fans to love you, managers to keep you but not too good that bigger clubs will come in.

Time tends to be a kind factor on a lot of things. Sometimes things just didn't happen as you remembered it. Sometimes there's things where you expect you'd be going against the narrative of the way things are painted if you said them now. This is the thread to air your views.

Firstly, I still believe Jocky Scott would have got us promoted in 2010. Should never have been sacked.

Secondly, Gavin Rae was utter shite in our league winning season under Hartley and his performances have been glossed over because of who he is and because we won the league. Up there with the poorer players we've had at CM (That said, he is still one of my all time favourites due to his first 2 spells).

Thirdly, Kyle Letheren's save that helped us win the league, wasn't Gordon Banks-esque like many made it out to be. 

Fourthly, (this isn't aimed at Dee's necessarily), but I'd rather last season played out as it did rather than appointing Billy Dodds as assistant and surviving. (Not that he'd have made a difference).

Fifthly, Thomas Konrad was a cracking CH.

Sixthly, I'm against leaving Dens for a new stadium despite everything making logical sense.

And finally, Paul Hartley is the best manager we've had since Jocky and before that, Knox.

Come at me and share your own ridiculous or controversial opinions.

Re Jocky, Inverness hit 73 points that season, it would have been some haul if he'd beat that. Possible but tough going.

I really don't share your belief in him though, I genuinely think the whole thing of bringing him back and giving him money to spend was a bit daft. He had been out of work for like six years when he'd relegated Raith. We were desperate when he come back to steady the ship but he then signed a massive squad full of some utter shite but basically got by because he'd spent an insane amount of money on Harkins and Griffiths IMO - Ben Hutchinson and Bob Malcolm were the January saviours. Higgins was his only value signing IMO and that's mental when you remember how many he made - a definite contrast to his first period where he was forced to work on a budget and did it outstandingly.

I genuinely think Dundee are one of the worst clubs in the country for getting manager appointments right, it feels like we buy into ponzi schemes a lot easier than others. I think Hartley has been our only decent appointment of the millennium and it was unfortunate how it ended but once he expended his transfer targets who he knew very well from down the league or ex team mates, the signings become horrific and his squad balancing was woeful. I feel a bit bad for him seeing how he's become a bit of a laughing stock and still think he'll get back into full-time football.

Apart from Hartley and McIntyre (who had a reputation of some sort and past for the scenario we were in tbf but was desperate), it feels like our only way of recruiting managers is a mate of the club or a director rather than anything else. It's very interesting hearing things about Livi hiring proper data analytics people and forming a strategy based around that and being successful - it'd be interesting to see a comparison of how much money both clubs have spent in that time.

Edit - Re Jocky, it was in fact impossible for him to win the league unless Inverness had a different points total, not with Inverness winning matchday 31-36

6 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

1. For all the hatred of South Ayrshire Council and the Scottish Executive, building a new stadium would have been the worst mistake that Ayr United could ever have made. See the example of Airdrieonians as a prime example of why.

2. The Railway End would be a better 'Home End' than the Somerset Road End

3. The period where Mark Roberts was reliant on Somerset Boab's absolutely rancid tunes to increase his transfer budget is the worst period in the club's history.

4. the number one shirt should be retired in honour of Ludovic Roy*.

Reveal hidden contents

*Change my mind

Thoughts on Somerset Boab as a person aside, if I remember right he raised quite a lot of money that Roberts absolutely spunked up the wall.

I remember reading quotes from Roberts (in the Ayrshire post no doubt) talking about trying to sign John Gemmell from Stenhousemuir mid-season, and the gist of it was that he made an initial bid to “test the water”. Then as each bid got rejected he kept bidding more and more - saying himself that he was getting carried away and having too much fun with each bid. He was literally gambling a very high 5 figure sum for very little reason other than to have some fun - like he was playing manager mode in FIFA.

The worst period in our club’s history? Aye I can get onboard with that theory.

Thoughts on Somerset Boab as a person aside, if I remember right he raised quite a lot of money that Roberts absolutely spunked up the wall.
I remember reading quotes from Roberts (in the Ayrshire post no doubt) talking about trying to sign John Gemmell from Stenhousemuir mid-season, and the gist of it was that he made an initial bid to “test the water”. Then as each bid got rejected he kept bidding more and more - saying himself that he was getting carried away and having too much fun with each bid. He was literally gambling a very high 5 figure sum for very little reason other than to have some fun - like he was playing manager mode in FIFA.
The worst period in our club’s history? Aye I can get onboard with that theory.

I genuinely did not know that. I know we tried to sign Gemmell but I didn’t know that was Roberts attitude towards bidding for him.

It’s pretty depressing we had a manager with a great eye for a player but with f**k all money in the latter years and before that we seemingly had money to burn but a manager who liked to surround himself with his mates rather than build an actual team.

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Club legends are rarely brilliant players, when you do get a particularly good player they are usually gone onto bigger things well before they can gain that status.

Being a 7/10 player who puts in the occasional superb game is about what you need. Good enough to get fans to love you, managers to keep you but not too good that bigger clubs will come in.

Totally agree.

I'd class Doolan in the average to fairly good striker category who once or twice a season would go on superb runs of scoring, rather a great striker who would have a few barren runs each year.

Still some boy though.

I get the "controversial" take on Doolan and it's not something I'm wildly out of sync with but if you're a Thistle fan then unless you're over 50 (i.e. seen Mo Johnstone play for us) you probably haven't seen a better striker signed permanently for us.

Would take Doolan above Grady, Roberts,  Burns and Britton. Lyle Taylor was / is  better than Doolan but he was never our own player.

29 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I get the "controversial" take on Doolan and it's not something I'm wildly out of sync with but if you're a Thistle fan then unless you're over 50 (i.e. seen Mo Johnstone play for us) you probably haven't seen a better striker signed permanently for us.

Would take Doolan above Grady, Roberts,  Burns and Britton. Lyle Taylor was / is  better than Doolan but he was never our own player.

I am not over 30, never mind 50!

But i think it kind of sums up my thinking on him. Best weve had since ive been a fan but imo he is a good striker considered great because we've not really had any genuinely great strikers for decades.

Bob Shankly stand should be for home fans and Bobby Cox for away fans.

Nelms should be praised rather than slaughtered for the amount of time he gives his managers.

Cammy Kerr would have been out the door a long time ago if he wasn’t a Dundee lad

Kevin Holt is the best left back we’ve had in the last decade

Jack Hamilton is a very good young goalkeeper. Alright his distribution needs improving.

Finlay Robertson is nowhere near good enough to be in the first team yet.

We won’t be promoted this season.

On 30/09/2019 at 19:20, DAFC. said:

Gary Mason was a better player than most, if not all, the midfield jobbers given Scotland caps at the time, including Barry Ferguson, Paul Gallacher and the like.

Dorus De Vries is the best goalkeeper to ever play for us.

Craig Brewster and Stevie Crawford should have been Scotland regulars 2002-2004, easily.

Andy Kirk should be inducted in to the DAFC hall of fame. Only Stevie Crawford can surpass him in the striking department in the modern era.

We could quite easily have been much more successful given the catchment area, being the biggest team in the 2nd most populous council area in Scotland and having a fantastic platform to do so given our unbelievable success in the 60s. Hearts/Hibs levels of successful IMO.

Nothing particular against the Pars but I remember reading years ago that Dumfries had  roughly the same population as Dunfermline but Athletic have been more successful over the years than Queen of the South. 

Here's a controversial statement: If David Syme hadn't gifted Dunfermline a dodgy win in the 1991 Skol Cup Semi Final Airdrie would have beaten HIbs in the Final (and gone on to win the UEFA Cup by kicking the crap out of various European teams!) 

1.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the much maligned Lionel Djebi-Zadi was nowhere near as bad as folk made out.  When he was bad, he was horrendous, but he wasn't bad every week.  Perhaps had we played him at left wing he might've become decent.

2. Nat Wedderburn was also nowhere near as bad as some of our fans like to think he was.  He was probably though too slow for the Premiership.

3. Marius Niculae was overrated.

4. The Caley Stadium is a dump and is a major reason the club haven't attracted and retained fans.  Who'd want to sit in a really open stadium, far from the pitch in an exposed location in the depths of winter?

5. Jake Mulraney was absolutely garbage for us 90% of the time and how he got a move to Hearts is unbelievable.

Dens is a riot. Geez a new stadium.

The Americans are utterly clueless.

Dundee have the best individual players in the league.

Neil McCann would have us shitting on this league.

Eddie Annand was better than James Grady.

Steven Boyack should have played for Scotland.

Dens is a riot. Geez a new stadium.

The Americans are utterly clueless.

Dundee have the best individual players in the league.

Neil McCann would have us shitting on this league.

Eddie Annand was better than James Grady.

Steven Boyack should have played for Scotland.